Re Sealing Speaker Drive units

For everyone who has soldering iron burns on the carpet

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re Sealing Speaker Drive units

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Not really DIY but as it involves a screwdriver and Allen Key I guess it belongs here.

A few weeks ago I re sealed the drive units in my Keilidh's. Took about an hour (because I stopped for a cuppa ) and I managed to leave the speakers in situ while I worked on them so I didn't have to re level the spikes (always a good thing. I have levelling spikes)

All you need is the correct sized screwdriver/hex/torx for the screws used to fix your drive units in place, some Stainless Steel Button Head bolts from Kay Fast to replace the screws (I always find hex heads easier to torque than screws) and some Transparent Marine Silicone Sealant to seat the drivers back into place.

1) Turn off the amp/power amp and allow it to discharge

2) Find a small table/stool/packing to support the drive unit once you undo its fixing bolts

3) Undo said bolts and lit the driver face down on the supporting table

4) Remove existing seal (in my case it was just a neoprene ring)

5) Put a fine bead of sealant around the speakers mounting face ensuring that the mounting holes are ringed as well

6) Carefully replace the driver and loosely bolt into place taking care not to get the sealant on your fingers speaker cabinet or both.

7) Go round the bolts, slowly tightening them so as you get an even seal between the driver and cabinet. You want the bolts tight, not LINN tight so as not to over compress the cabinet or driver basket

8) Remove any excess sealant NOW. It will go off faster then you think

9) Repeat as needed

10) Turn on the amp and enjoy your new speakers. Everything will improve bass/soundstage/detail/treble/whatever

For an less than an hours work and under a tenners outlay its a no brainer.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

kota

Re: Re Sealing Speaker Drive units

Post by kota » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi

Used to do that on all my sealed box speakers in the past apart from Linn ones which I've never messed with. Used Mastik which doesn't really dry out completely and was always easy to remove/replace if needed. It did make a remarkable difference :smt023

On ported ones, there's no need but I still tighten the drive units bolts on a regular basis which also is every bit worthwhile :smt020
Fluted black LP12/Kore/Cirkus/Lingo1/aluminium solid base/Ekos1/ESCO Troika, Naim 72K/HiCap/250, NACA5, Neat Motive SE 2

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:51 pm

The sealant is the sort Peter used when re building speakers, so if its good enough for him ... :smt023
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Just seen this thread and I'm glad you are happy with the improvements James.

All one is doing really, is going back to the early days when drivers were sealed in to the cabinets properly like Isobariks, Kans, SBLs and DBLs etc.
The gasketing on later speakers may have allowed faster production but leaky gaskets sap performance, just like loose driver fixings and spikes etc as energy read; sound quality can be lost.
The only thing to remember is that once sealed in, the drivers can be difficult to remove should they require service!

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm
<snip>
The only thing to remember is that once sealed in, the drivers can be difficult to remove should they require service!

KR

Peter

Especially on the Keilidh as they are recessed. I think the only way to get in the box now would be to destroy the drive unit (so I checked and double checked everything before I started)
James

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Especially on the Keilidh as they are recessed. I think the only way to get in the box now would be to destroy the drive unit (so I checked and double checked everything before I started)

Yes, blow ups are very rare and according to Linn, you can't get replacements, :( so it would be a case of finding another Keilidh for spares really.

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm
Mr Onion wrote:

Yes, blow ups are very rare and according to Linn, you can't get replacements, :( so it would be a case of finding another Keilidh for spares really.

KR

Peter
image.png
Subtle Suggestion for James. :roll: :smt023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm
Mr Fixit wrote:
Mr Onion wrote:

KR

Peter

I know, I know :roll: Super 20's are still calling
James

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm
Mr Fixit wrote:
Mr Onion wrote:

KR

Peter

I know, I know :roll: Super 20's are still calling

James,
I'm more than happy with my X3s I love the simplicity. :smt007
Having said that the tweeter in the super 20s is jaw dropping.
Now if they put that tweeter in the X3s. :smt017
Only here once. :smt045
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am

Have tightened things over the years too and it obviously a good idea but its not a good idea if you can't remove a unit. There must be a way or replacing the gaskets and there has to be the right material out there, any thoughts anyone? I will do some research and see whats available.

Had a quick look and found several rolls (on Amazon) of various widths and thicknesses. The one thing I would add is what makes me thing mine are not sealed and are leaking? I don't think they are but I wont know unless I try things out. Any way of telling? A major leak might be obvious but I am not sure about that even.
Linn Keltik system using newly serviced LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, Ittok, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity, Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono, Akurate DSII, Innios Zen server.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer