Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Re: New Cirkus Bearing ?

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 am

Wenge1 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:42 pm

But hey, I ain't losing sleep or anything else over it either ............ :smt023

Good and best not to.......
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

It's all very well that ongoing methods of manufacture are evolved for the benefit of improvement but I'm sure those very enthusiastic owners would have been all over this especially given the interest of usually very trivial items " screws ,nuts and bolts etc " :roll:
It may well be after much examination that this manufacturing process change might not have provided a sonic improvement and simply aided a better method of manufacture.
After all there are many variables in a deck during servicing never mind upgrading parts too.
I'm sure investigation and diagnosis will prevail.
More tunes now :smt020 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Glass Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

LD100

Post by LD100 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

According to David Williamson, Linn Staff Senior Mechanical Design Engineer--

"The changes were done to get greater consistency. So we will have a smaller bell curve distribution of the parts tolerance.
The improvements were not made for greater performance.
I would say that we have just made the bearings more consistent. Not better, if you see what I mean?
I was merely asked if there have been any changes to how we make the bearing. I haven’t said the new ones sound better than the old ones. This is largely due to the bit above - the spindle and thrust pad are the same.

Of course a new bearing will sound better than an old one, especially one that is 20 years old as FangfossFlyer was describing in his original post. He also had lots more done to his deck at the sames time...

If we could take a brand new bearing from say 5 years ago, and compare it to a brand new current bearing will it sound better?
Don’t know, but even then, it could just be the natural spread of manufacturing tolerances which exist in everything.

Should people be changing to their bearings as an upgrade?
I wouldn’t unless the bearing is showing signs of wear.

Hope this clarifies things for people."
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 pm

LD100 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm
According to David Williamson,Linn Staff Senior Mechanical Design Engineer--
I would say that we have just made the bearings more consistent.
Not better, if you see what I mean.

:smt017 :roll:
LD100
Thank you for that quick info transfer. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Glass Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

LD100

Post by LD100 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

You are welcome, I try to be more than just a pretty face.... :shock: :o xss02
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm

LD100 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm
You are welcome, I try to be more than just a pretty face.... :shock: :o xss02

You're no Doughboy. :smt005
The Doughboy responds when his stomach is poked by giggling (Hoo-Hoo!, or earlier on, a slight giggle "tee hee").
8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

LD100

Post by LD100 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm
The Doughboy responds when his stomach is poked by giggling (Hoo-Hoo!, or earlier on, a slight giggle "tee hee").
8) :smt023

Alas, the last time I was poked and giggled was in the spring of 1981, the sky was blue, the air was sweet and the ladies beautiful...but that is a story for another time. :smt008

:D :D :D

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer