Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Red Chris » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 am

Craig Lang wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:15 pm
Which deck had the best Kandid on it ?
Don't suppose any of you looked .
I did talk with Peter about the Kandids, and he said that they were similarly matched.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am

varyat wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:17 am
Thanks for the review Chris :smt023 I wonder how much the impact of the Scorpion base had on your observations..Using the Scorpion base and platform on a wooden plinth may be an interesting demo as well 8) Glad you guys did the demo for us who are geographically challenged - much appreciated!
ATB,
Mark
Yes, a Skorpion base on a Chris Harban plinth would be interesting to try.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the first comparative review I have read.

Most informative.

All the best,

Richard
Thanks Richard

I have wanted to do it for a while. The Stratos does sound very good, and looks great - the Tiger Paw deck with Javelin is really good value.

I am much more likely to buy a Javelin (or Javelin arm top) that I am to buy a Stiletto 8)

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am
FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the first comparative review I have read.

Most informative.

All the best,

Richard
Thanks Richard

I have wanted to do it for a while. The Stratos does sound very good, and looks great - the Tiger Paw deck with Javelin is really good value.

I am much more likely to buy a Javelin (or Javelin arm top) that I am to buy a Stiletto 8)

You could try a Tangerine Karmen on your plinth instead of the TP top plate. That way you could still enjoy the Woodsong wenge plinth and benefit from some of the Stiletto's benefits.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Clive - I have listened and I do prefer the Karmen to the Khan in a straight comparison - I didn’t feel at the time that the difference warranted the cost to change.

Also if you think about the cost of changing to the the Karmen and add to that the value of the Khan and the world’s best and most beautiful Chris Harban Wenge plinth - the Stiletto could be a bargain.

Actually a Stiletto is a beautiful piece of engineering and stunning quality, but it is not on my “must have yesterday” list 8)

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Two great reviews Chris, I know we like the same sort of things in a system and I trust your conclusions. I didn't really bother hearing the Stiletto against my Harban Cocabolo plinth. It struck me a long time ago that

1. The top plate is a very important component that determines the performance level possible from a deck, after hearing a Tiger Paw Khan at Infidelity in Kingston, it was clear that this addressed a lot of what I felt were inadequacies in the Linn stainless steel top plate. It removes a certain glare and shouting quality along with less hash and grain. In short, a TP Khanned deck sounds more like master tape, of which I've heard a lot in various studios. I had to have one and it did not disappoint. It is superb and great value for money too.

2. The dimensional accuracy and construction of the plinth along with the materials used have an equally great bearing on how much performance can be eeked from the deck. Rather like a superbly built chassis for a high performance car. The chassis has to be good enough to let the car use all its performance. Woodsong plinths are superbly built and the materials used are the best available in the world. They are truly world class plinths, eack wood having its own musical characteristics. The only downer from my plinth was that after a few years the rich red colour faded down to a padouk type of brown finish that didn't really turn me on anymore despite sounding superb. Wood is alive and can change its appearance.

Now put these two components together in a solid precision machined billet of high quality aluminium and the performance possible from an LP12 goes ballistic. Somehow I just knew this deck was going to be the best turntable I've ever listened to at home, and over the years I've had some wonderful experiences with a whole range of them. On a sheer musical level, it is the most rewarding device to listen to. I can enjoy the most obscure musical performances ( Liverpool Scene anyone ? ). Yes, it appears to be expensive, but in terms of how much more music you can pull of a piece of vinyl, its actually quite cheap compared with many other high end turntables. To my mind, it completes the LP12 microcosm and allows the fluid musical qualities of the original design to reach its zenith. The original designers goal was to maximise the amount of information read from the groove by the cartridge. Not only does it do that with ease , but it strings the whole shebang together in the most convincing manner, akin to live music. What more could you ask ?
Linn/Naim Lover

Craig Lang
Banned

Post by Craig Lang » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Eddie,
Any thoughts of changing arms ?

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 pm

No Craig, I am totally happy with the Ekos SE and Kandid, and to be honest put that together with the Klimax Radikal , Keel, and Chord Sarum T incons into the Urika and my 6 pack Active Brik system and it just puts a whopping smile on yer face. To my mind , this is about as good as it can get. I've never been one for incessant tweaking beyond good set up, and I'm never found sitting in front of it thinking how much better could it be if I change this and do that. Madness lies that way. I am a good friend of Roger and often hear his system. The Javelin and Stratos are superb products that work extremely well together and should be heard by everyone. Last time Roger was here and heard the system, he himself said," Eddie, don't change a thing."
I think he is right.

If it isn't broke..................................if you can understand that.
My system is just a tool for listening to music, it just happens to be one of the best I've ever owned. The music is more important than the way it is delivered. ....... :D
Linn/Naim Lover

Craig Lang
Banned

Post by Craig Lang » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Eddie,
I can understand your system being a tool. :smt023
https://youtu.be/Td58HHfl1Rk

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Hee hee.......... from the days when the Beeb was a force to be reckoned with.
My body ain't a tool anymore..................... not at 67 anyway.
Linn/Naim Lover

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer