Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Sticking stylus - ugh

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:40 pm

vincent wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 pm
Just received another copy via Amazon after returning duff one to HMV, and guess what - it has the same defect, in exactly the same place :smt013 :smt017

I'm not going to try sticking a 50p piece on the Ekos headshell. So this copy is going straight back also.

(It's not a highly modulated part of the album, Mr Onion. And the Kleos SL anyway is a superb tracker even with the most difficult material - better even than the standard Kleos which I thought pretty good).

Just content yourself it's a dud pressing fault either throughout or perhaps a batch.
Same happened to me.
Coyote Jim @ Sticking stylus - ugh
All it done was spoil the album for me I'd always be waiting for it.
:smt009
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12 & more Linn & Kudos 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Yup, its a duff album/pressing so all you can do is return it and try not to miss it too much
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I remember quite some time ago with a different Vinyl defect " severe warp " I returned the album to the shop voicing my complaint about the fault.
This album doesn't play it's too warped.
Looks fine and shiny to me sir.
You don't get it the record isn't flat.
Does it not have any sound.
I explain my record player is valued in the thousands of pounds quality bracket.
If it's that good it should be able to play anything.
I say do you thing an F1 car will still win a race if it was on a rally stage.
I think he got it.
image.jpeg
Eventually. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12 & more Linn & Kudos 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

vincent

Post by vincent » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:02 pm
Yup, its a duff album/pressing so all you can do is return it and try not to miss it too much

I've downloaded the album in 24bit Hi-Res from Qobuz (£8.50 with my subscription). It sounds fine on the KEDSM - very impressive - but there's something missing.

Cant think what ... :smt017

vincent

Post by vincent » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm
I remember quite some time ago with a different Vinyl defect " severe warp " I returned the album to the shop voicing my complaint about the fault.
I explain my record player is valued in the thousands of pounds quality bracket.
I think he got it.
image.jpeg Eventually. :roll:

In a fit of nostalgia while browsing in HMV recently I bought a copy of the reissued Bowie compilation 'Changes'. It looked and played perfectly, but sounded so awful (tinny and thin) I took it straight back. Rather than try to explain the reason for my dissatisfaction, I thought it would be easier if I said it was a 'faulty pressing'. The young assistant had no idea what I was talking about :smt037 In fairness to HMV, they refunded without question on grounds of 'bad sound quality'.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:18 pm

vincent wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:41 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm
I think he got it.
image.jpeg Eventually. :roll:

In a fit of nostalgia while browsing in HMV recently I bought a copy of the reissued Bowie compilation 'Changes'. It looked and played perfectly, but sounded so awful (tinny and thin) I took it straight back. Rather than try to explain the reason for my dissatisfaction, I thought it would be easier if I said it was a 'faulty pressing'. The young assistant had no idea what I was talking about :smt037 In fairness to HMV, they refunded without question on grounds of 'bad sound quality'.

Shame about the 'Changes' album. The original vinyl sounds fine. Oh well, you win some you lose some as some reissues sound great - seems to be some luck involved .......... :)
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

vincent

Post by vincent » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Shame about the 'Changes' album. The original vinyl sounds fine. Oh well, you win some you lose some as some reissues sound great - seems to be some luck involved .......... :)

As you say, some reissues are fine. I've just bought the 2015 Sanctuary (BMGRM053LP) reissue of the first Black Sabbath album - having owned an original Vertigo copy back in the day, unwisely sold it for peanuts, and been very disappointed by the 1982 NEMS reissues (more nostalgia). It's outstanding :smt020

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer