Flexibility of springs with Urika

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

alto

Flexibility of springs with Urika

Post by alto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 pm

My Linn frame has a height of 64mm (60mm between the top plate and trampolin),
When I installed Urika I noticed the short distance of 5mm between the Urika case and the keel,
What requires the tighter springs to limit sticking on the Urika case the bounce becomes less supple, anyone know ?
There was also the trampoline foot membrane that touched the base of the engine,
To heal, I installed 2 aluminum pads of 40x9mm and 2 of 30x9mm thicknesses 2,5mm,
The height of the frame of my lp12 reached 66,5mm (62,5mm between the top plate and trampoline),
The rebound is good, lp 12 now plays very well with Urika!

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: Flexibility of springs with Urika

Post by dan steel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Peter from Cymbiosis did mine and I don’t have any worries as I know everything is fine and correct. All I do now is sit back and enjoy the music. :smt023
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Cirkus - Ekos 2 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat
NAIM - CD5 SI - Nac 202, HiCap DR, Napsc - Nap 200 DR - Headline, Napsc
KUDOS X3 speakers
CHORD Odyssey cable
QUADRASPIRE rack.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Swapping out springs for some other with a different characteristic is a deck killer. :smt018
If my suspension moved anything like a bounce test when playing I'd think I had more to worry about. :shock:
Sort out the floor or get it on a shelf. :roll:
I read to death all this guff about fouling inside the deck and have to say that a properly skilled fettler should have no problem setting up a deck competently for their customers every time I've seen these panic posts elsewhere online and the rest of the build looks really rough and compromised. :smt009
Changes were made as a matter of ongoing development through time to relocate the internal screw positions on the Trampolinn feet to avoid any fouling.
Surely with the ongoing development over time and with at some time in the past having different manufacturers in the supply chain it is reasonable to expect that upgrading suddenly over a long period of time might require more than just the main items of the upgrade to facilitate the construction required.
No different to an original lid with a prop required to fit a newer plinth one or the other has to be compromised as no longer made that way.
Read the small print specifications subject to change as ongoing development.
Just listen stop obsessing. 8) :smt023
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm
Swapping out springs for some other with a different characteristic is a deck killer. :smt018
If my suspension moved anything like a bounce test when playing I'd think I had more to worry about. :shock:
Sort out the floor or get it on a shelf. :roll:
I read to death all this guff about fouling inside the deck and have to say that a properly skilled fettler should have no problem setting up a deck competently for their customers every time I've seen these panic posts elsewhere online and the rest of the build looks really rough and compromised. :smt009
Changes were made as a matter of ongoing development through time to relocate the internal screw positions on the Trampolinn feet to avoid any fouling.
Surely with the ongoing development over time and with at some time in the past having different manufacturers in the supply chain it is reasonable to expect that upgrading suddenly over a long period of time might require more than just the main items of the upgrade to facilitate the construction required.
No different to an original lid with a prop required to fit a newer plinth one or the other has to be compromised as no longer made that way.
Read the small print specifications subject to change as ongoing development.
Just listen stop obsessing. 8) :smt023
I think Peder on the Naim forum raised and repeated several such horror stories. I just ignored them and put another record on. :smt023

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 pm

evil_C wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:09 pm
I think Peder on the Naim forum raised and repeated several such horror stories. I just ignored them and put another record on. :smt023
I did have a strong feeling of deja vu with the OP :wink:
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.

alto

Post by alto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Trampolin alone with the membrane of the foot that grazes the heel of the Radikal engine, without Urika, is less a difficulty, in my case the screws of the foot trampolin are not diagonal, they are far from the base of the engine, The suspension of the springs is not clamped, the bounce is perfect, But with Urika and frame lp12 height 64mm, the adjustment of the bounce of the springs is shorter to prevent the Keel from touching the cover of Urika, this flanges the bounce,
With 2.5mm wedges between trampolin and wooden frame lp12 the adjustment of the springs is done normally and the bounce lp 12 jumps nimbly as it should, Urika is then a formidable pre-phono for the LP12,

The Kaptain
Site Admin

Post by The Kaptain » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Topic tidied and some posts deleted.

This subject has been discussed on the old LINN board as well as elsewhere. I have also had a conversation with Peter about this. Please forget the scare stories, they are just that. The situation is that there may (I repeat MAY) be an issue with some early Plinths where the Radikal motor pod may (again I say MAY) touch the Trampolin/Urika base. Rather than discuss it ad nauseum this is the recognised way to see if you have a problem.

While the LP12 is in its jig, place a small strip of paper or a dab of nail varnish on the bottom of the Radikal Pod before fitting the Trampolin/Urika. If the paper gets trapped or the nail varnish transfers to the base, then yours is one of the very small number of plinths effected.

The solution is to buy a new (or second hand) plinth. Any addition of spacers will effect the sound, and probably not in a good way.

As there is no further discussion value left in this topic I am locking it.

Addendum

After contact with the OP it appears that he is worried about contact between the KEEL and Urika during extreme spring movement. I have reassures him that in normal use this is not a problem.
The man with the big stick

The Kaptain
Site Admin

Post by The Kaptain » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm

I have been in contact with Peter Swain and this is his observations and advice.
If the Radikal Motor Pod is hitting the Trampolin Foot the most likely cause of the is defamation of the ring on the trampoline foot due to overtightening of the fixing screws causing it to bend up and into the void under the motor. Flatten it down and normally that resolves the problems.

He tests for snagging by placing a dot of nail varnish on the trampoline foot rather than the motor. This is far more effective than sliding a piece of paper as a feeler gauge between the trampoline foot and the bottom of the motor because the paper can get snagged all manner of different things under the LP 12.

He has never had an issue with the Keel touching the Urika although there might be a problem if you change the position of the chassis earth letting it run diagonally across the top of the Urika when it will be in contact. There is a second earthing point at the front of the arm bored/chassis junction which is threaded ready to take an M3 earth bolt.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for everyone.
The man with the big stick

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 pm

The Kaptain wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm
Topic tidied and some posts deleted.

This subject has been discussed on the old LINN board as well as elsewhere. I have also had a conversation with Peter about this. Please forget the scare stories, they are just that. The situation is that there may (I repeat MAY) be an issue with some early Plinths where the Radikal motor pod may (again I say MAY) touch the Trampolin/Urika base. Rather than discuss it ad nauseum this is the recognised way to see if you have a problem.

While the LP12 is in its jig, place a small strip of paper or a dab of nail varnish on the bottom of the Radikal Pod before fitting the Trampolin/Urika. If the paper gets trapped or the nail varnish transfers to the base, then yours is one of the very small number of plinths effected.

The solution is to buy a new (or second hand) plinth. Any addition of spacers will effect the sound, and probably not in a good way.

As there is no further discussion value left in this topic I am locking it.

Addendum

After contact with the OP it appears that he is worried about contact between the KEEL and Urika during extreme spring movement. I have reassures him that in normal use this is not a problem.
Peter put a dab of nail varnish on the bottom of my Radikal to show it doesn’t touch and to blow Peders long standing argument out of the water. 8)
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Cirkus - Ekos 2 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat
NAIM - CD5 SI - Nac 202, HiCap DR, Napsc - Nap 200 DR - Headline, Napsc
KUDOS X3 speakers
CHORD Odyssey cable
QUADRASPIRE rack.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer