Linn Karousel

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Scooter

Re: Linn Karousel

Post by Scooter »

Great write up and pleased to see your albums getting enjoyed even more.
Listening to a world beating hi-fi and world beating music (when it’s British).
dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel »

Scooter wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 pm Great write up and pleased to see your albums getting enjoyed even more.
Cheers Keith hope it doesn’t tempt me to buy even more vinyl. :roll:
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Karousel - EkosSE/1 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat
NAIM - CD5si - Nac 202, HiCap DR, Napsc - Nap 200 DR - Headline, Hicap DR
KUDOS X3 speakers
KUDOS KS-1 speaker cable
FOCAL Elegia headphones
DIY rack
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

dan steel wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 pm
Scooter wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 pm Great write up and pleased to see your albums getting enjoyed even more.
Cheers Keith hope it doesn’t tempt me to buy even more vinyl. :roll:
As long as you don’t buy any less. First up should be the new Courtney Marie Andrews, it’s lovely.
Listening to a world beating hi-fi and world beating music (when it’s British).
dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel »

Wenge1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am .
Great write up Jim. I don't think it will be long before other Kabineers join us the Karousel ..................... :smt023

I would tend to agree with C.J's comments around the demoing of the Karousel. Although, since arranging to take a deck involves turning up with it, you might as well have a listen to the Karousel in action whilst you are there ............... :D
Thanks Adam I found it hard to follow your write up, but as it says on the tin...a must upgrade 8)
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Karousel - EkosSE/1 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat
NAIM - CD5si - Nac 202, HiCap DR, Napsc - Nap 200 DR - Headline, Hicap DR
KUDOS X3 speakers
KUDOS KS-1 speaker cable
FOCAL Elegia headphones
DIY rack
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

I have not heard the Karousel yet but when I had a replacement bearing, after c25 years, on my LP12 a couple of years ago it really was a significant improvement. So I am expecting it to be even more so with the Karousel and I am tempted to break a rule of mine and just to order one without listening

🙀

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

I've ordered mine "ears unheard" Just need my energy and Peters diary to mesh :roll:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's
vincent

Post by vincent »

Red Chris wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:26 pm
FangfossFlyer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31 pm I’d almost forgotten about The Tranquity, are people still using it?

For me it sounded impressive on first listen but eventually didn’t quite sound right so I let it pass me by

Richard
I am a massive Tranquility fan - I tried it without a little while ago, and it sounded awful in comparison 8)
Hi Chris and Wiltshireman

Just to say I've no doubt that my LP12 Stratos (Cirkus) is better to my ears with Tq than without. I'm sure the new Linn bearing is superior to the old. But I would be interested to hear the views of people who liked the Cirkus/Tq, and who are think of (or have already) junked both in favour of the Karousel.

Btw, is TP no longer trading? Karousel/Tq2 might be interesting :)

Peter
DebsE

Post by DebsE »

Karousel/Tq2 might be interesting
You can't fit Tranquility to Karousel, the bearing housing is a different size to that of Cirkus.
Linn LP12 / Cirkus / Keel / Radikal / Trampolin II / Tiger Paw Tranquility / Ekos / Krystal / Silver T-Kable / Collaro Audio mat / Linto / Kairn III / 2x 2250s / Bi-amping Celestion 600 Si on K400 / Original Foundation speaker stands. Also Karik III / Numerik and Kremlin. All sitting on Söund Örganisatiön shelves (2) and tables (4). Okki Nokki RCM.
BevC

Post by BevC »

Whilst I agree with everyone about the extra things the Karousel finds in recordings, for me that’s really not it’s best party trick. This is reserved for something different.

I’m sure a lot of us have records we have bought for one or two tracks we loved (guilty pleasures usually) but just can’t bring ourselves to put them on the deck because they are really nasty. They have lots of tracks on each side and the size of each track is unbelievably tiny. They were pressed by the likes of Ronco and we so wanted to listen but it was just too horrible sound wise to be vaguely tolerable. With every upgrade (we started at Akito/Valhalla/K5 pre Cirkus) we tried it again and crestfallen put them back in the collection thinking that one day....

I confess that our guilty pleasure is the Sunburn soundtrack from 1980. We had tried our usual records and been astonished at the difference between the Cirkus/Tranquility and Karousel. For a giggle (after a few alcoholic beverages) out came Sunburn. At this point our jaws dropped and we just looked at each other. Really? There was bass (who knew?), definition and musicality. We sat and listened to our poor forlorn little record and it came alive. We were transported back to 1979 and remembered the reason we bought this particular soundtrack in the first place. It was a joy.

This is one party trick that has to be heard to be believed. Would we recommend Karousel? Oh yes, unequivocally. Thank you Peter.
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

vincent wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:59 pm
I would be interested to hear the views of people who liked the Cirkus/Tq, and who have already junked both in favour of the Karousel.
That is exactly what I did. Check out my write up earlier in this thread ........................ :smt023.
Wenge1 @ Linn Karousel
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Kandid
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - ProAc Response D2's
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer