Mats

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Mats

Post by Coyote Jim »

Mr Onion wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 am The reason I didn't write a review was that I thought it would be unhelpfully negative.
That's what an honest review is all about. :roll:
You're too nice James should have got the Kaptain to test it. :shock:
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3.
CD Player - Naim CD5si.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
evil_C

Post by evil_C »

Coyote Jim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:59 pm
Mr Onion wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 am The reason I didn't write a review was that I thought it would be unhelpfully negative.
That's what an honest review is all about. :roll:
You're too nice James should have got the Kaptain to test it. :shock:
Absolutely. Negative or positive, we need the truth!
I’m not sure we should be promoting the idea of letting the Kaptain loose on test products!
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

As I said, I tried two mats. One appeared to be faulty (too big for the platter) but the other was fine. I won't post the whole of my notes here, but this you might find of interest.
Listening:-

I don't know how to say this, but it was awful. The music became slow, sludgy, murky, anything but nice. I swapped back a few times and the Collaro mat just sounded worse then the LINN. So why can this be as the majority of people hear an improvement? Examining the fit closely I could see that the Collaro mat was of a greater diameter then the recess of my 40 year old LP12 outer platter, and therefore it was sitting on the lip. That means that the record was only being supported by the edge lifting the record in relation to the arm thus altering the VTA by quite a large margin. I contacted Collaro who confirmed that there had been an issue with the printing process on couple of mats which caused an expansion of the cloth, and I was just one of the unlucky ones.

I sent the mat back and got a replacement which fitted perfectly within the raised lip. Much better.

Listening Part Two:-

All the negative things I said before, well forget them. This one fits and sounds great. I did a few swaps back and forth and I am thinking that the Collaro sounds better than the LINN, but theres only one way to see. I left the Collaro in place for a week without swapping just to get used to it. The results were interesting. My preference for the Collaro seemed to diminish as time went by. Its difficult to put into words, but I just felt something was lacking.I am not saying that the sound was bad, far from it. It was musical, great dynamic and tonal range, but ...

This morning I played Florence and the Machine "Lungs" twice. One on the Collaro and then put the LINN mat back. Everything I had been missing was now back. It was just that little bit better to my ears.

Conclusion:-

The Collaro mat is good, no its VERY good but to MY ears and on MY LP12 the LINN is just that little bit better. I know others prefer the Collaro and I can understand that. Maybe the 40 year old Outer Platter (the only part of my original LP12) has something to do with it. Maybe my room? Or my Cartridge? Or ... I don't know and neither will anyone else.
So thats it. Collaro said that they had only had 3 mats returned out of 1000's sold and asked me to hold on with publication so they send me one of the first versions of something they were working on which may assist. They expected it to be with me after Christmas 2019. Nothing ever arrived and TBH I had forgotten all about it.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Karousel, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
NAIM CD 5si with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Mr Onion wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm As I said, I tried two mats. One appeared to be faulty (too big for the platter) but the other was fine. I won't post the whole of my notes here, but this you might find of interest.
Listening:-

I don't know how to say this, but it was awful. The music became slow, sludgy, murky, anything but nice. I swapped back a few times and the Collaro mat just sounded worse then the LINN. So why can this be as the majority of people hear an improvement? Examining the fit closely I could see that the Collaro mat was of a greater diameter then the recess of my 40 year old LP12 outer platter, and therefore it was sitting on the lip. That means that the record was only being supported by the edge lifting the record in relation to the arm thus altering the VTA by quite a large margin. I contacted Collaro who confirmed that there had been an issue with the printing process on couple of mats which caused an expansion of the cloth, and I was just one of the unlucky ones.

I sent the mat back and got a replacement which fitted perfectly within the raised lip. Much better.

Listening Part Two:-

All the negative things I said before, well forget them. This one fits and sounds great. I did a few swaps back and forth and I am thinking that the Collaro sounds better than the LINN, but theres only one way to see. I left the Collaro in place for a week without swapping just to get used to it. The results were interesting. My preference for the Collaro seemed to diminish as time went by. Its difficult to put into words, but I just felt something was lacking.I am not saying that the sound was bad, far from it. It was musical, great dynamic and tonal range, but ...

This morning I played Florence and the Machine "Lungs" twice. One on the Collaro and then put the LINN mat back. Everything I had been missing was now back. It was just that little bit better to my ears.

Conclusion:-

The Collaro mat is good, no its VERY good but to MY ears and on MY LP12 the LINN is just that little bit better. I know others prefer the Collaro and I can understand that. Maybe the 40 year old Outer Platter (the only part of my original LP12) has something to do with it. Maybe my room? Or my Cartridge? Or ... I don't know and neither will anyone else.
So thats it. Collaro said that they had only had 3 mats returned out of 1000's sold and asked me to hold on with publication so they send me one of the first versions of something they were working on which may assist. They expected it to be with me after Christmas 2019. Nothing ever arrived and TBH I had forgotten all about it.
So with a customer service like that they've got just the review they deserve. :roll:
Some get their money far too easy. :p
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3.
CD Player - Naim CD5si.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
Red Chris

Post by Red Chris »

I am superbly happy with my Collaro 100 Anniversary mat on my Tangerine Stiletto based deck.

I was running a standard red Collaro on my second deck, but due to a recent change it now has a brand new Linn mat in place. I will try the red Collaro again in time.
Cymbiosis Tangerine LP12 Karousel Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Urika/Chord Sarum T, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is very Naim and Kudos
wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman »

I stopped using the black felt mat several years ago but now I have had a Karousel fitted and have now become used to the massive improvements it has brought about I thought I would just go back and see how things are now. I will have a session on Tuesday morning and will report my thoughts for what they are worth. I do not use the Collaro but a two part mat by Ringmat Developments, gold spot version.

Tuesday.
Well that was interesting because the improvements I have made to my system has made hearing the difference between the two mats even easier to hear and it only took moments to hear that the linn felt mat is really inferior to my Ringmat in every way. It is thin top and mid and the bass is just muddled and I really dont want it on my LP12 thank you.

As to the Collaro mat v mine well thats something to think about but I probably wont bother unless i read a revue that makes it necessary.
Linn Keltik's, X2 Majik 4100's, LP12 with a Simon Price oak plinth and Lingo3, black Ittok with silver heavy weight, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII, Karousel bearing, Arcam Rphono + Russ Andrews power supply, Akurate DSII, Inneos Zen 3 server and LPSU and Chord Epic ethernet cable, Chord Epic speaker cable, Chord Cadenza interconnects.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer