Lid Off or On

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Lid Off or On

Post by dan steel » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:30 am

When ever I have a listening session ( which is most days) I always remove the lid from my Sondek. I've read that it's better to take it off, better to leave it on with it up or down.
What's your preference?
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

KG648

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by KG648 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:53 am

I did start to take it off, however what I did notice is every time I did it was scratching the rear of the plinth so I stopped.

I can't leave it off as I have a cat (and a wife) and just as a precaution I want to keep it on when not in use.
Linn Majik DS w/iPad 2|Roksan Nima/10x5 w/Lingo 3/tramp2[built by Dr Peter]| Linn Silvers| 242 MK3 Passive |Linn Majik Kontrol/M4100 x2|Linn K400 | Fully loaded with QX7's!

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:03 am

Always take mine off as I prefer the sound with it off. Always put it back on after to keep the cats off. Also helps keep the dust at bay. My wife won't dust the hifi but she doesn't dust anyway! She gardens, I dust and hoover. And NO i don't have a pinny.
Well Keeled :smt020

KG648

Post by KG648 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:04 am

shellspeed wrote:Always take mine off as I prefer the sound with it off. Always put it back on after to keep the cats off. Also helps keep the dust at bay. My wife won't dust the hifi but she doesn't dust anyway! She gardens, I dust and hoover. And NO i don't have a pinny.
Just play Queen - I want to break free over and over again? :D
Linn Majik DS w/iPad 2|Roksan Nima/10x5 w/Lingo 3/tramp2[built by Dr Peter]| Linn Silvers| 242 MK3 Passive |Linn Majik Kontrol/M4100 x2|Linn K400 | Fully loaded with QX7's!

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:22 am

Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Last edited by Coyote Jim on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:46 am

If it is a decent session and the door shut to keep the cats out - then definitely off :smt023

If not, then down while record playing.

Never intentionally up with a Trampolin/Urika :shock:
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:56 am

Always off.

I was playing a sample of a newly arrived album the other day, so I didn't bother to remove the lid and then wondered why it wasn't sounding as good as I expected.

Confirms that Lid Off is right for me. :smt023
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

KG648

Post by KG648 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Does anyone else finds it scratches the back of the plinth by removing and putting the lid back on?

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Yes, you do have to be very careful. The metal bracket is a wee bit sharp.

I have wondered about filing a round on the leading edge, but I just keep forgetting to remember not to forget to do it. :roll:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Many years ago, in fact it was in the 1980's, I met Ivor T who advised me to play with the lid on and down to reduce airborne vibrations but it was what ever was best for me in my circumstances.

Ever since I tend to play with the lid off for ease of use unless at loud volumes when I keep the lid on and down.

Ruchard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer