Lid Off or On

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
dan steel
Queue Moderator
Posts: 10120
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by dan steel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:51 am

Sorry Stu didn't mean a damp towel I meant a dry towel to dampen the sound.

[ external image ]
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

red kite

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by red kite » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Jim,

have you ever had any static charge from the lid pulling the arm up, or affecting the tracking weight?

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:26 pm

red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Jim,

have you ever had any static charge from the lid pulling the arm up, or affecting the tracking weight?
Debbie,
That's a thought I've never had I've always looked at the sound and isolation side but never that a static charge might lift my needle out of the groove :shock: :oops: .
Absolute horror springs to mind about that possibility.
No pressure now then has that ever happened to someone you know.?
:cry:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

red kite

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by red kite » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Jim,

have you ever had any static charge from the lid pulling the arm up, or affecting the tracking weight?
Debbie,
That's a thought I've never had I've always looked at the sound and isolation side but never that a static charge might lift my needle out of the groove :shock: :oops: .
Absolute horror springs to mind about that possibility.
No pressure now then has that ever happened to someone you know.?
:cry:
Jim, it's never happened to me, but it was talked about on the Linn forum a few years ago, it can happen.

Perhaps it's all Mr Sheen's fault :g-hands:

Or perhaps our lids are the older taller type which are out of static range?

Who knows, ...we should be told :g-scratch:

Debbie

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm

red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:
red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Jim,

have you ever had any static charge from the lid pulling the arm up, or affecting the tracking weight?
Debbie,
That's a thought I've never had I've always looked at the sound and isolation side but never that a static charge might lift my needle out of the groove :shock: :oops: .
Absolute horror springs to mind about that possibility.
No pressure now then has that ever happened to someone you know.?
:cry:
Jim, it's never happened to me, but it was talked about on the Linn forum a few years ago, it can happen.

Perhaps it's all Mr Sheen's fault :g-hands:

Or perhaps our lids are the older taller type which are out of static range?

Who knows, ...we should be told :g-scratch:

Debbie
Debbie that would be a horror story and also as far as sale of goods act would determine item not fit for purpose.
I've just measured mine it's 3" in old money. :oops:
Never any buffing or polishing near the hi fi. :smt018
Mine stays down no problem it is quite an old one. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

red kite

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by red kite » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Coyote Jim wrote: I've just measured mine it's 3" in old money. :oops:
Never any buffing or polishing near the hi fi. :smt018
Mine stays down no problem it is quite an old one. 8) :smt023
:g-laugh:

User avatar
Mr Onion
Site Moderator
Posts: 5938
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Location: Between two Super 20's

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by Mr Onion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm

red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote: I've just measured mine it's 3" in old money. :oops:
Never any buffing or polishing near the hi fi. :smt018
Mine stays down no problem it is quite an old one. 8) :smt023
:g-laugh:
:shock:
James
_________________

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

shellspeed
Full Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by shellspeed » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:26 pm

I'll second that James

Poor Jim :)
Well Keeled :smt020

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 pm

[ external image ]
Oooops was it something I said ?.
Static won't keep this up. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
dan steel
Queue Moderator
Posts: 10120
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by dan steel » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:15 pm

:shock: :shock:
Must be something in the whiskey. :roll:
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer