Lid Off or On

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: Lid Off or On

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:34 am

IIRC the lid on my FONS CQ30 was very bad with the SME 3009 II I had at the time (1980 just pre LP12)

The lid wouldn't lift off, so it was a right bugger at times.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:28 pm

red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:
red kite wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:Well then.
I use my lid it goes up and down between sides.
Probably why I am on my second pair of hinges but having said that I remember when I was young :oops: and we had a mono record player it had a lid over the stacker I remember starting records and then I could hear all that "chatter" from the gubbins obviously this isn't meant to be heard otherwise there would be a large horn attached and no volume or tone knobs.
As I got older and progressed from mono box to system I always remembered this "chatter" so when at low volumes without the lid closed I could hear it but with the volume up I couldn't .
Mmmmm if the cartridge is a transducer and I can hear it then surely if I turn the volume up it can hear the room.
Acoustic isolation springs to mind so I always use mine up and down and closed all the time.
I remember chatting to someone once and I asked him what he thought other than the acoustic feedback theory he said if it was meant to be removed all the time it wouldn't have hinges and would have a handle in the middle for lifting away.
I laughed sorry if I've bored you :smt015 I do think a lot :roll: 8) :smt023
Edit,
Never left up when playing always down. :smt018
CDP sounds best closed too. :smt017 :lol:
Jim,

have you ever had any static charge from the lid pulling the arm up, or affecting the tracking weight?
Debbie,
That's a thought I've never had I've always looked at the sound and isolation side but never that a static charge might lift my needle out of the groove :shock: :oops: .
Absolute horror springs to mind about that possibility.
No pressure now then has that ever happened to someone you know.?
:cry:
Jim, it's never happened to me, but it was talked about on the Linn forum a few years ago, it can happen.

Perhaps it's all Mr Sheen's fault :g-hands:

Or perhaps our lids are the older taller type which are out of static range?

Who knows, ...we should be told :g-scratch:

Debbie

I nearly always have the lid down and I have never experienced any unexpected "needle lift" :smt020 The lid is the only thing left from the original 1988 LP12.

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 pm

KG648 wrote:I did start to take it off, however what I did notice is every time I did it was scratching the rear of the plinth so I stopped.
The easy way to remove the lid without fear of scratching the plinth is to open the lid fully then slide the lid out of the hinges (in the direction of the slot in the hinges, of course). Then lift the hinges from the plinth. Easy. To replace lid I normally put the hinges on the lid first then slide gently into place.

This is how I do it prior to moving the turntable - generally I leave the lid on and always down when in use.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 pm

evil_C wrote:
KG648 wrote:I did start to take it off, however what I did notice is every time I did it was scratching the rear of the plinth so I stopped.
The easy way to remove the lid without fear of scratching the plinth is to open the lid fully then slide the lid out of the hinges (in the direction of the slot in the hinges, of course). Then lift the hinges from the plinth. Easy. To replace lid I normally put the hinges on the lid first then slide gently into place.

This is how I do it prior to moving the turntable - generally I leave the lid on and always down when in use.
I just open my lid up and lift off.
Slide back in after music session and close lid.
Its never marked my plinth.
Tigerpaw have some wonderful new designed hinges that will hit the streets soon that really work well with a lid down.
Around £179 a set but worth it. :smt023

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm

haha Stu, you're quite right we do have some hinges waiting in the wings:-)

A few more bits to sort out for production but yes they should help.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:51 pm

I do what Stu does - except when the cats are about when I use the lid down :smt020
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Red Chris wrote:I do what Stu does - except when the cats are about when I use the lid down :smt020
Chris,
My little man loved the picture of your dog.
He thought he looked so cute with his legs folded over the back seats :smt023

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 pm

He will be one tomorrow :D

Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Red Chris wrote:He will be one tomorrow :D

Handsome pooch there Chris. What 'flavour' is he .... :smt017

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:35 pm

He's called Oska - and he is an English Pointer

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer