Krystal Kandid and beyond .......

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Jazz Club

Re: Krystal Kandid and beyond .......

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 pm

Derosa wrote:Hi stu
No offence taken always willing to learn but it is always a compromise as it is in the main living room
the amp rack is next to a chair and the lp12 is in the "safest " place
one sweep of an arm next to the chair and bye bye arm and cartridge :roll: :smt018
Regards
Tony
Tony,
How solid is the wall behind your racks?
Could you fit a Tiger paw VulKan wall shelf to it?

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:01 am

Jazz Club wrote:What power cable are you using with it now your Powerline won't fit?
Good question - I've put the Powerline on the 300PS and currently :wink: using the standard Naim lead with MK plug on the Klimax Radikal.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:17 am

red kite wrote:Chris, thanks for posting these very informative write-ups
Thanks Debs - you are welcome. They did go on a bit but I hope they were useful.

I really like most Woodsong plinths - but as a Wengateer I'd be lying if I did not admit to a certain bias 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am

Wenge1 wrote:I will be swapping my Akurate Radikal for a Klimax Radikal sometime in April ...
Hopefully not the 1st :roll: You will love it Adam

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:15 am

Jazz Club wrote:Peter,
I did the two Radikal box test as you know with Julian over more than eight hours one Sunday when they were first released well before Ian at Billy Vs started saying two were better than one,When they were clearly not.
That day is the reason i still tell people to get there Radikal's on the top shelf of there racks.
Even after its upgrade a couple of years ago.
I banged on at Chris for years to try it.
Same as i did for years with fraim glass balls and cups.
Radikal box rack placement is so crucial.
It needs to be on top of any rack with loads of air round it.
On a floor standing two shelf Mana rack it needs to be on the bottom on its own with the LP12 above on a ref shelf.
Everyone i know with Naim fraim i've told to move there A Radikal's onto a top shelf over the years have all gone feck me what a difference. :smt023
TBF I'd forgotten that you'd had a day playing about with two Akurates with Julian, but my answer to your question was the correct one then.

Pretty much anything sounds better in free space or the top of a hi-fi stand. Radikals, Naim preamps, phonostages etc. The Radikal in particular hates to be sited near a Naim power supply (with below worse than siting I above) I found this out the first time I played a Radikal way back then..... :roll: This sensitivity may well help to explain why mounting it in a better box like the Klimax sounds so much better.

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 am

Wenge1 wrote:.

Well for the first time in my life I have put a deposit down on a piece of kit I have not heard or demo'ed. After a swapping a message or two with Chris and checking in with Peter, I have done it on a Klimax Radikal ... 8)

I will be swapping my Akurate Radikal for a Klimax Radikal sometime in April ...of course I will let you know how it goes then ... :smt023

Glad to help and you won't regret it
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:46 am

Jazz Club wrote:
No offence taken always willing to learn but it is always a compromise as it is in the main living room
one sweep of an arm next to the chair and bye bye arm and cartridge :roll: :smt018
Regards
Tony
Tony,
This is a very interesting question. I would really like to use a wall shelf. I have a solid wall but with batons and plasterboard on top. Hence there is a narrow gap. Does anyone know how to mount a wall shelf in this type of situation?

Regards,
Clive

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:23 pm

evil_C wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:
Regards
Tony
Tony,
This is a very interesting question. I would really like to use a wall shelf. I have a solid wall but with batons and plasterboard on top. Hence there is a narrow gap. Does anyone know how to mount a wall shelf in this type of situation?

Regards,
Clive
Use a a joist detector to find where the joist lie. Mark off and screw into the joists to get a firm fixing. OR you can cut the plaster board out place and screw wooden batons to the joist to the height you want the shelve to be and mark the wall Replace the plasterboard you have cut out and position your shelf. Once your satisfied everything is level and securely fixed. Take the shelf off and skim over the board leaving in screws so you know the positions. Once the plaster is dry paint up then take the screws out and plonk on the shelve. Easy Peasy 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:42 pm

dan steel wrote:
evil_C wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:
Regards
Tony
Tony,

Regards,
Clive
Use a a joist detector to find where the joist lie. Mark off and screw into the joists to get a firm fixing. OR you can cut the plaster board out place and screw wooden batons to the joist to the height you want the shelve to be and mark the wall Replace the plasterboard you have cut out and position your shelf. Once your satisfied everything is level and securely fixed. Take the shelf off and skim over the board leaving in screws so you know the positions. Once the plaster is dry paint up then take the screws out and plonk on the shelve. Easy Peasy 8)
Just as I thought- there's a lot to be said for leaving it on the top of the Fraims!

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 pm

evil_C wrote:
dan steel wrote:
evil_C wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:
Regards
Tony
Tony,

Regards,
Clive
Just as I thought- there's a lot to be said for leaving it on the top of the Fraims!
Debbie also done it that way. There are step by step photos of how she did it on here somewhere. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer