Krystal Klub

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
apye
Full Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by apye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm

LD100 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 am
Great news...Armour, that makes the Krystal is replacing all defective cantilevers with a new sturdier model...
:shock: :o :shock:
Image

It looks kind of like a shoe in the photograph, but that's just the camera angle... :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Please notice the new stylus cleaning tools on the floor in the lower left corner of the photo... :smt043


That's great news, as a Krystal owner and a user of SPT I was getting extremely worried mine was about to give out. :cry:
It is just over a year old as well!! :shock:
Are they repairing faulty Krystal's FOC even if they are over a year old?

Does this mean that the problem is with the manufacturing and not SPT causing corrosion as was first thought?
Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm

apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm
That's great news, as a Krystal owner and a user of SPT I was getting extremely worried mine was about to give out. :cry:
It is just over a year old as well!! :shock:
Are they repairing faulty Krystal's FOC even if they are over a year old?

Does this mean that the problem is with the manufacturing and not SPT causing corrosion as was first thought?
Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023

Andy,
It's not recommended to use :roll: don't see why only 1 cartridge should be susceptible but obviously not Linn's fault.
As far as I know if your cart is more than one year old it's tough you get the trade in value.
Before that time it goes for investigation.
Peter contributed by way of recommendation from Linn a post earlier on here and in the Blue room.
Mr Fixit @ Krystal Klub
Mmmm :roll: :smt009
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Derosa
Full Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Derosa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:58 pm

So reading through the linn forum everything is now KRYSTAL clear :smt023

When I bought the spt I read through the instructions which say

“In addition to highly purified water, SPT contains only very small amounts of organic chemical cleaning agents. SPT has PROVEN to be completely safe to use with all phono cartridges (not only LYRA's). Whatever the cartridge, excessive amounts of liquid should never be applied to the stylus and cantilever.”

So as you can see from my comments above that was what I did
Now Jamie @Linn Service says the advice given was unambiguous:

"I understand that this customer has purchased another Krystal. I would strongly recommend that they avoid using SPT, or any other liquid, on this lest it suffers the same fate. It is worth pointing out that we haven’t recommended using SPT on a Krystal. The customer has chosen to do this on the assumption that the advice from Lyra, which refers only to Lyra cartridges, was applicable either to all cartridges or at least to all Linn cartridges. This is not the case."

Can someone tell where it is stated that it doesn’t apply to linn cartridges I have looked in the instructions and the linn website and it doesn’t appear anywhere :shock:
Also I didn’t assume it was safe it said so on the instructions
“SPT has PROVEN to be completely safe to use with all phono cartridges (not only LYRA's). “

So to clarify Jamie’s point you can’t use it on linn cartridges oh wait a minute

David W posted this
“Kandid is fine Steve, as it is a Lyra cartridge and uses boron.
Perhaps Peter should have said as much rather than have everybody panic!

I have to admit I was unaware there was an issue with the Krystal or Adikt, having also seen Lyra recommendations.
“SPT has proven to be completely safe to use with all phono cartridges (not only LYRA’s).”
However it is Armour that make the Krystal, and therefore their advice we should listen too.

Whilst chatting to David last Wednesday evening he seemed unaware of any issues and was endorsing the SPT for the Kandid being made by Lyra/scantech “

“So I think I have got it now :smt017
Lyra say it is proven to be ok on all cartridges
But linn say it is not suitable for linn cartridges
Oh no......... that’s only if you know where it is made so if it is a linn cartridge that’s made by armour you must not use it
But it is ok on a linn cartridge if it is made by Lyra how are we supposed to know if it is not written down in the instructions?
as usual it’s left to the poor dealer who is supposed to tell us everything !!
I thought I had bought a Linn Krystal but clearly it’s a Goldring Chrystal and a Linn Kandid is a Lyra candid
So we still don’t know what caused the failure of my mine or Adams cartridge this could be a red herring so more waiting to be done
Regards
Tony
Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Tony,
I've been waiting for your input you've been sitting on that one. :smt045
Peter is my dealer too many hundreds of miles away and has done better than sterling service.
Obviously his hands are tied by the manufacturers decision however frustrating that might be. :smt009
I'm on my second Krystal too mine failed in a different way but was only months old.
In the case of liquid lubes and cleaners I've never used any but I find the idea that only one cartridge in the world is susceptible to rapid corrosion of the cantilever by any means given its "Aluminium" quite fantastic. :smt017
All we say up here is when something is bad. :wink: xss_poo
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
apye
Full Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by apye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm
apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm
That's great news, as a Krystal owner and a user of SPT I was getting extremely worried mine was about to give out. :cry:
It is just over a year old as well!! :shock:
Are they repairing faulty Krystal's FOC even if they are over a year old?

Does this mean that the problem is with the manufacturing and not SPT causing corrosion as was first thought?
Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023

Andy,
It's not recommended to use :roll: don't see why only 1 cartridge should be susceptible but obviously not Linn's fault.
As far as I know if your cart is more than one year old it's tough you get the trade in value.
Before that time it goes for investigation.
Peter contributed by way of recommendation from Linn a post earlier on here and in the Blue room.
Mr Fixit @ Krystal Klub
Mmmm :roll: :smt009


Thanks for your reply Jim, although it has left me more than a little confused.. :smt017!

My post was in reply to the post by LD100 which sounded like the maker of the Krystal, Armour, are beefing up the cantilever on the broken ones. Is this not the case, is this not them admitting that the existing cantilever is weak? If so is using SPT causing the failures or just highlighting that they are weak?
Also if they are admitting the cantilever is weak why are they not repairing broken ones FOC?!
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 pm

apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm
apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm
That's great news, as a Krystal owner and a user of SPT I was getting extremely worried mine was about to give out. :cry:
It is just over a year old as well!! :shock:
Are they repairing faulty Krystal's FOC even if they are over a year old?

Does this mean that the problem is with the manufacturing and not SPT causing corrosion as was first thought?
Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023

Andy,
It's not recommended to use :roll: don't see why only 1 cartridge should be susceptible but obviously not Linn's fault.
As far as I know if your cart is more than one year old it's tough you get the trade in value.
Before that time it goes for investigation.
Peter contributed by way of recommendation from Linn a post earlier on here and in the Blue room.
Mr Fixit @ Krystal Klub
Mmmm :roll: :smt009


Thanks for your reply Jim, although it has left me more than a little confused.. :smt017!

My post was in reply to the post by LD100 which sounded like the maker of the Krystal, Armour, are beefing up the cantilever on the broken ones. Is this not the case, is this not them admitting that the existing cantilever is weak? If so is using SPT causing the failures or just highlighting that they are weak?
Also if they are admitting the cantilever is weak why are they not repairing broken ones FOC?!

Hi Andy,
There are no remedial repairs and there is no admission of any fault.
Linn suggested that because of two broken cantilevers so far it's been assumed as both were using SPT this is their most likely suspect.
If the carts are more than a year old " Warranty " then tough you only get your trade in allowance.
Less than a year and they will determine reason for failure this situation hasn't happened with a cart in its Warranty period.
Not exactly Krystal klear though. :shock:
Apparently investigations are ongoing but there is no definite solution " no pun intended " :roll:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
apye
Full Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by apye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 pm
apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm
apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm
That's great news, as a Krystal owner and a user of SPT I was getting extremely worried mine was about to give out. :cry:
It is just over a year old as well!! :shock:
Are they repairing faulty Krystal's FOC even if they are over a year old?

Does this mean that the problem is with the manufacturing and not SPT causing corrosion as was first thought?
Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023

Andy,
It's not recommended to use :roll: don't see why only 1 cartridge should be susceptible but obviously not Linn's fault.
As far as I know if your cart is more than one year old it's tough you get the trade in value.
Before that time it goes for investigation.
Peter contributed by way of recommendation from Linn a post earlier on here and in the Blue room.
Mr Fixit @ Krystal Klub
Mmmm :roll: :smt009


Thanks for your reply Jim, although it has left me more than a little confused.. :smt017!

My post was in reply to the post by LD100 which sounded like the maker of the Krystal, Armour, are beefing up the cantilever on the broken ones. Is this not the case, is this not them admitting that the existing cantilever is weak? If so is using SPT causing the failures or just highlighting that they are weak?
Also if they are admitting the cantilever is weak why are they not repairing broken ones FOC?!

Hi Andy,
There are no remedial repairs and there is no admission of any fault.
Linn suggested that because of two broken cantilevers so far it's been assumed as both were using SPT this is their most likely suspect.
If the carts are more than a year old " Warranty " then tough you only get your trade in allowance.
Less than a year and they will determine reason for failure this situation hasn't happened with a cart in its Warranty period.
Not exactly Krystal klear though. :shock:
Apparently investigations are ongoing but there is no definite solution " no pun intended " :roll:



Ah ok thanks very much for that explaination Jim :smt023

So was the post by LD100 supposed to be a joke?
Hard to find it funny when there is the strong possibility I will have to fork out for a new cartridge soon! Sorry.... :smt009
Last edited by apye on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

You're welcome Andy there is so much misinformation about but this is as clear as I know so far.
Kind of takes the shine off though. :oops:
Better not play any big dynamic albums just in case it's not what this gear is for. :smt009
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
Mr Fixit
Trade Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 am

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Mr Fixit » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 pm

apye wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Can I continue to use SPT on my Krystal or not?

Thanks,
Andy. :smt023


My recommendation is that you do not continue to use SPT or try any other fluid type cleaning system on your Krystal stylus.

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com
Skype: peteratcymbiosis

The Flatearther
Full Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by The Flatearther » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Just posted on the Linn forum that if I had a Krystal I would follow Peter's advice to the tee.

He probably has had more cartridges through his hands than the rest of us have had hot dinners.

But fortunately I have a Kandid, which to my ears sounds like the best cartridge on the planet.
.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer