Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Steven

Re: Krystal Klub

Post by Steven » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Well, thats very clear how you should clean (or not) the cantilever :roll:

Obviously you use the small bent stylus cleaner that is supplied with it :-)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm

My Krystal is sounding stunningly good :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi everyone
It’s been very quiet here so here is an update
I finally plucked up the courage to play the album which was the one I was playing when Krystal 138 died 3 months ago !!
Happy to report that 1081 survived :smt020 it now has 70 hours on it and sounds very fine indeed it was a difficult decision to get another one but at the moment all is good
The cartridge has only had 2 very careful scrapes with green paper and absolutely no fluid has been near it
Obviously this has been a very painful and expensive event but hey ho time to enjoy more Choons :smt023
All the best tony
Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Derosa wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Hi everyone
Obviously this has been a very painful and expensive event but hey ho time to enjoy more Choons :smt023
All the best tony

Hi Tony,
A very bitter pill to swallow considering being ignored by brand and sub manufacture. :smt009
I'm on my second one after a faulty and can assure you there won't be another one it'll be either Kandid or alternative Lyra cart for me Delos or Kleos.
It makes me chunder how they tie in the Kandid with the 3point mount for the SE/1 then charge a grand more than the Kleos for the privilege. :roll:
I think they've shot themselves in the foot again. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm
Derosa wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Hi everyone
All the best tony

Hi Tony,
A very bitter pill to swallow considering being ignored by brand and sub manufacture. :smt009
I'm on my second one after a faulty and can assure you there won't be another one it'll be either Kandid or alternative Lyra cart for me Delos or Kleos.
It makes me chunder how they tie in the Kandid with the 3point mount for the SE/1 then charge a grand more than the Kleos for the privilege. :roll:
I think they've shot themselves in the foot again. 8) :smt023

What he said .............. :roll:
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm

It’s not the same cartridge though is it. Though made by Scantech the Kandid is a completely different transducer. Though it may share common parts of similar design heritage, DW examined everything about what they did best and redesigned/improved every part to give the absolute best in an Ekos SE.

At dinner together, he shared his developmental journey of the Kandid using the naked Akiva as the starting point, a journey which was very long and had at least two dozen prototypes some of which he showed us the next day and were very interesting, such as a Kandid with a Ruby one piece cantilever and stylus.

IMHO, If you have an SE LP12 then the Kandid is the only option it sounds that good and is such a part of the whole synergy.

I’m just very fortunate that this synergy also includes the Aro.

Certainly in my Naim Isobarik system it’s just wonderful and sounds so, so musical.

It’s such a shame that Linn have not exchanged you guy’s Krystals with new ones. At the very least, they could have given you a very generous exchange deal. I guess to Gilead, Linn’s reputation is not as important as his profits. It’s a very poor show indeed and I feel fo you guys.

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Flat
Point taken but having been a loyal linn fan for decades clearly my recent experience has been a shock that although linn have some fantastic dealers who work so hard, like peter, my journey will end here as clearly my experience is that linn don’t care about New or loyal customers which makes the dealers job twice as hard as it should be :smt013
Shame as it is the best sounding cartridge I have had so it is bitter sweet
All the best
Tony
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Here is the latest post from David W on the linn forum

RE: For those dealing with failed cantilevers
Just to set the record straight, again....

“Linn and Goldring are not doing anything. There is nothing to investigate, 2 cartridges have failed due to the use of wet cleaning.

The Klyde was in the market for 20 years, and the Krystal has been a fantastic success since its launch. Between the two of them we have sold thousands of cartridges, but there have only been 2 fails of this nature on record.

The other thread was closed because there is nothing else to discuss.
Don't use wet cleaner on your Krystal.
Simple.”

Yes David It would have been “simple “ if someone had put that in the instructions that came with it!!
Regards
Tony
TP Tranquility and Skale

LD100

Post by LD100 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:04 pm

David's response to Tony--
I agree that this may have been useful, however the Linn policy is that we don't put manuals in with any of our products.

This was done because it was an unnecessary cost that was being literally thrown in the bin, and the customer never saw - as the retailers install everything. Many of the products also go through many upgrades and continuous improvements making the manuals obsolete. I concur that mechanical products like a cartridge this is less likely, however that was the rule applied to the entire product range. The manual information can instead be found on online at LinnDocs.

However most of the stuff there for cartridges is the Specifications and Product Information rather than a manual. I have asked service if we could amend this to make things more obvious.
There is however a section in the maintenance of the Sondek LP12 manual that reads:-

"It is important that the stylus is kept scrupulously clean. Your Linn
retailer will be able to show you how to clean the stylus using Linn
green stylus paper. Traditional soft stylus brushes are not effective."

The bottom line is however if in doubt ask your retailer, rather than risk damage.

I realize it was another time, 1978 to be precise, but my retailer didn't even hold the door for me as I left with a sealed box containing my LP12.

There has been no Linn LP12 retailer in Illinois for many years...what do you do then???
(New retailer just added sometime this month). No proven track record as of yet.

I find this dependence on the retailer peculiar to say the least.
People post problems with bad retail installations, and the reply is always, "take your LP12 in for service". :shock:
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Derosa wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm
Here is the latest post from David W on the linn forum

RE: For those dealing with failed cantilevers
Just to set the record straight, again....

“Linn and Goldring are not doing anything. There is nothing to investigate, 2 cartridges have failed due to the use of wet cleaning.

The Klyde was in the market for 20 years, and the Krystal has been a fantastic success since its launch. Between the two of them we have sold thousands of cartridges, but there have only been 2 fails of this nature on record.

The other thread was closed because there is nothing else to discuss.
Don't use wet cleaner on your Krystal.
Simple.”

Yes David It would have been “simple “ if someone had put that in the instructions that came with it!!
Regards
Tony

It's ok for him diverting attention to the two in question wet cleaning but what about all the other failures they ignore on their own forum. :smt013
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer