Come On Spill The Beans?

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Jazz Club

Come On Spill The Beans?

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:40 pm

What did you think of the Klymax Radikal box yesterday?

evil_C

Re: Come On Spill The Beans?

Post by evil_C » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:10 pm

And what are the other things you're considering? I'm intrigued.

BTW did you see my LP12 while you were there? It has (had?) a walnut plinth with a Kore, a Karmen and Aro. It's not been behaving itself...

Regards, Clive

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm very curious and intrigued by the silence to find out if her experience has been intensified. :oops:
Maybe still recovering. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

red kite

Post by red kite » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm going to be spilling beans on toast for lunch everyday for years to come after yesterdays spend :g-rolleyes:

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:15 pm

red kite wrote:Image

I'm going to be spilling beans on toast for lunch everyday for years to come after yesterdays spend :g-rolleyes:
Congrats Debbie.
You only live once be happy. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 pm

red kite wrote:Image

I wouldn't want to be down wind of you on your bike :smt018 .

red kite

Post by red kite » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 pm

There was 3 reasons for my visit to Cymbiosis yesterday [Tuesday] apart from visiting Peter, Wayne, and Phil and having a look over the fabulous new premises.

1. To replace the Linn Silvers & Mayware adaptor plug for a far more appropriate RCA-DIN cable.
2. To hear an A/B demo of Radikal - Klimax cased vs Akurate cased
3. To have a look at the Woodsong plinths presently in stock.

No.1 job on my list has been very satisfactorily accomplished with the purchase of Sarum Super Aray :g-thumb:
Back home as i write this report the cable is settling in nicely although the lower bass frequency gain is something i didn't expect but over the few hours i've been airing it, the resolution is quickly becoming wonderfully clearer and cleaner with settle in time, or burn-in time?, or the mysterious force of the mysterons? This cable seems to have widened the frequency window at both ends, the highs are sweeter, thankfully neutral and always natural. The introduction of more bass weight is a bonus [that i didn't hear in the shop demo] but here in the comfort of my own lounge it's going though a process from a slightly worrying lumpy dub thumper start to improved and astonishing satisfying coherence. I like to think this is my faithful old SBLs being unused to this sonic depth of bass, and taking a bit unawares, but just the need for a few LP sides of time to adapt and perform up to spec to the new demands, no problem really for Sibbles.
I'm sure this is well in the experience of everyone here that have changed a system component or cable and heard the strangeness until the time is up for synergy to settle back in bucket loads.

No.2 the Radikal demo. After mentioning how light weight the akurate cased radikal is, Peter passed me a Klimax one, which is quite a lot heavier. This is because Linn have strategically positioned a couple of solid Gold bars inside, it's why it's so heavy [although smaller in size] and it costs a lot more.
In practise [and back to reality] i don't dislike anything the Akurate-Rad does, it can and does get the listener in touch with the music, so how could this be bettered?
The switch over to Klimax-Rad was at first a fairly similar experience but with enhanced [or enchanted?] soundstage that does seem to reach out with the music to actually touch the listener. It's not in my mind so much about resolution, the Akurate does that with precision, it's more to do with emotion, and the conveying of it in essence. Another difference is a stronger bass line has a pleasant understated sense of presence.
The Klimax-Rad does not make the Akurate-Rad sound broken but sonically builds upon the product performance.
It's a win win situation, if you can't afford a Klimax-Rad you need not worry and can still enjoy music with an Akurate-Rad, but if you do buy a Klimax-Rad it will add to the mix with a soundstage twinged with magic.
The outcome of my demo was conformation for me to upgrade, but i feel this review is Part One, and Part Two review to follow when i hear and experience my new Klimax-Rad at home in my system.

No.3 Peter has many really tasty Woodsong plinths in stock [especially the fluted Walnuts! IMHO] and although i liked what i saw, i didn't see the plinth with my soul signature etched into the grain.
So will wait for the next shipment to arrive and have another look :g-sigh:

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 am

Debs

1. That's a great move - I want one 8)
2. :smt023
3. You do not choose a Woodsong plinth, the right Woodsong plinth chooses you :wink:
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:38 am

Thanks for the write up. I think I had better arrange an A/B comparison of Klimax vs. Akurate Radikal when I go to collect my LP12.

I too had a look at all the new Woodsong plinths when I dropped mine off a couple of weeks ago and was also rather taken by the fluted walnut and others - fortunately not enough to persuade me to change from the one which Peter has set aside for me though! It being just 11 months since I moved from fluted to plain, I don't think I'm ready yet for the retro look. But the Harban fluted plinths do look very attractive I have to say.

red kite

Post by red kite » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Red Chris wrote:Debs

3. You do not choose a Woodsong plinth, the right Woodsong plinth chooses you :wink:
Funny you should say that,
i did suggest to Peter that the choosing of a CH plinth was rather like being Harry Potter in Ollivanders wand shop;
It's the wand that chooses the Wizard.

Chris, i though you already had a Sarum Super Aray...? What are you presently using?

Peter has also lent me a pair of XLR Supers too, to try on my 500, will probably fit them later on today, better not wait too long in case they need a day or two of settling in time....

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer