Tiger Paw sKale

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Tiger Paw sKale

Post by Red Chris » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I had a quick look but couldn't see a sKale thread in the LP12 section so apologies if I have duplicated.

Since I got my Linn Krystal a few weeks ago I have used it mostly with the standard Naim counterweight for various reasons - but I decided to swap over to the sKale today and remove the standard azimuth weight.

With my old Kleos I used both weight rings on the sKale so it was pretty chunky and I needed to use slightly longer screws on the cartridge so that I could get the right tracking downforce but with the sKale a gnat's away from the arm cup. With the Krystal only one weight ring is needed and, although you do need to position the sKale quite close to the arm cup, it is not as close as when using the Kleos.

Positioning the sKale does take me a bit of time to get the adjustments all sorted so that the Aro measures and looks right - but then how does it sound?

Well maybe the sKale has a built in advantage now because the spring on the Aro spindle is pushed in to accommodate the sKale but I decided to play The Style Council Cafe Bleu and it was a revelation. The standard weight sounded really loose in comparison - and perhaps it was :roll:

Precision solidity rhythmic detailed bigger and flowing spring to mind - but forget that as it is simply better and I am a bit stupid for not putting it back where it belongs sooner - and I really should have used it a The Flatearther's recently 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Re: Tiger Paw sKale

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Chris,
Compliments on the album choice for your sKale testing. :smt023
Any pics?

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Chris,
Do you play with lid up/down or off?

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Off when I can, or down if I can't
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Sammy the Strat

Post by Sammy the Strat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Chris, that's very interesting. I must have a word with mr fixit.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:48 pm

Red Chris wrote:Off when I can, or down if I can't
Try a standard cotton tea towel/drying up cloth folded into four and place it on the middle of your lid when its down.
See what you think?
Loads cheaper than any Chord cable upgrade. :smt023

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 am

Sammy the Strat wrote:Chris, that's very interesting. I must have a word with mr fixit.
You should Sammy. I'd forgotten how good it is :smt023

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:41 pm

I use an Ekos Se but I to am a big fan of the Skale and I also have found that the best place for it with the Krystal is slightly further away from the arm than it was with the Delos ... :smt023

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:36 pm

Wenge1 wrote: I use an Ekos Se but I to am a big fan of the Skale and I also have found that the best place for it with the Krystal is slightly further away from the arm than it was with the Delos ... :smt023
Adam - do you apply the tracking weight with the dial in spring or do you use the counterweight. On my Ekos 2 I used a bit of both :)

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:12 am

Good to see you guys experimenting a little with the position of the sKale.

During development I became aware that there seem to be some odd things occurring every now and then in terms of the position of the counter weight.

Within the overall context of 'closer is better' - which is fairly obvious, there seem to be ideal positions which sounded better. Trouble is it was almost impossible to chart them in any meaningful way. I think people have experienced this similar phenomenon with sharing downforce via spring and weight on the Ekos arms in the past.

Anyway, I was reluctant to make this widely known at the time as I was concerned that customers would end up chasing their tales trying to find a potentially arbitrary sweet spot, which we could not actually help them define. In my experience there seem to be certain counterweight points that definitely give a further improvement in tune.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer