I've been Radikalised

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

shellspeed

I've been Radikalised

Post by shellspeed » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Hello peps

Just about to unpack the car as I've been to see Dr.Peter today for a Radikal. Nothing as flash as you Klimax buggers (not yet at any rate). Peter also gave the old girl the once over and correctly aligned my poorly fitted (by me) cartridge. It was only out in both directions, no biggy :oops:

Had a quick listen up at the surgery but I am expecting many good things over next few hours :smt023

Keep you updated after a few sides of the black stuff.

J
Well Keeled :smt020

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: I've been Radikalised

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:53 pm

shellspeed wrote:Hello peps

Just about to unpack the car as I've been to see Dr.Peter today for a Radikal. Nothing as flash as you Klimax buggers (not yet at any rate). Peter also gave the old girl the once over and correctly aligned my poorly fitted (by me) cartridge. It was only out in both directions, no biggy :oops:

Had a quick listen up at the surgery but I am expecting many good things over next few hours :smt023

Keep you updated after a few sides of the black stuff.

J
Congrats on the Radikal.
Lots of surprises to come and also a good fettle by the guru can't be bad.
Enjoy 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Well I do declare that no less than Mr James Talyor has popped round and set up his band in my living room. Who nicked the speakers? :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Considering that it is "only" a motor, its power supply and controller, its amazing the difference it makes.

You will find that while you were in Leicestershire, Peters Little Elves pupped round to your place and replaced all of your LP's with newly remastered ones.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Congrats on your new addition to your LP12. It's a fine upgrade and another step in your musical journey. Enjoy ... :smt020

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Sammy the Strat

Post by Sammy the Strat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 pm

James I'm really pleased for you. Find some late Isbariks and your Nirvana will be complete and you will be a Jedi!

May the DC force be with you.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 pm

shellspeed wrote:Just about to unpack the car as I've been to see Dr.Peter today for a Radikal.
Congratulations James - it's a great piece of kit :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Sammy the Strat

Post by Sammy the Strat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Right James you've had two hours worth let's have some first impressions buddy.
L
O
L

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Mr Onion wrote:Considering that it is "only" a motor, its power supply and controller, its amazing the difference it makes.
Amazing +1

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi folks and for those asking hears a slightly delayed update as sleep and work keeps getting in the way of listening pleasure.
I have to say that everything is settling in lovely. I switched everything off yesterday so cold amp, cold phono stage, cold Radikal and a realigned cartridge meant I was not expecting miracles out the box. The change however was immediate though and after a couple of hours everything really started to gel beautifully.

Last night’s highlight before “can I watch MasterChef” :roll: was Gilmores Rattle that lock.

Caution. The following paragraph my contain superlatives!

So what has this motor and power supply done exactly? Well first of all everything seems more believable and in the room. The speakers start to disappear and this sound stage thing I can only liken to be a bit like having your glasses cleaned when you never really noticed they were dirty. By which I mean you can still see but afterwards everything in a bit clearer and less muddied. Separation between notes on fast pieces is now easier to follow. Nils Lofgren picking the living daylights out of an acoustic guitar at the near end of the fret board seems somehow less teeth clenching and more flowing. There are some very subtle notes coming from Tommy in the background as well which I can now pick up.
On Rattle that lock I was transported into an almost dream like state as the recording has so much detail to listen to. It wasn’t so much missing before, just not so easy to hear. It’s the sort of stuff that just disappears on compressed format. Because of the way the album was recorded with daily life still happening in the background on some tracks it really is like being there.

So gushing aside (as most of you already have one) its suffice to say I am more than happy with the results of Dr.P’s fairy dust sprinkling. :smt023

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer