Urika with Chord Sarum Super ARAY

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Urika with Chord Sarum Super ARAY

Post by Red Chris » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Just over a week ago ray davis and I travelled up from darkest Dorset to visit Cymbiosis for the maestro Mr Fixit to enhance our respective record players.

After very lengthy deliberations I had decided to add a Chord Sarum Super ARAY interconnect to replace Linn Silvers that connected my Urika to my Naim preamp and to take advantage of a DIN connection and obviate the need for a Mayware adapter. Red Kite has recently described a similar change far better than I could but I wanted to add a few comments on the experience now that I've had some time to live with the changes.

I have to say that the changes have been an unqualified success. I muddied the waters a bit by upgrading my DIN/XLRs to SSA from STA at the same time - which I know is actually quite signicant - but the difference was still much bigger than I was expecting. I had in the run up to changing been focussing on the effect of swapping to SSA from a Super Lumina in my CDS3 but the LP12 change is much much bigger in my system. I think that it has the effect of allowing the benefit of the Klimax Radikal to be even more apparent.

Secondly, it has had a weird effect on my perceptions. There have been times in the past where I have heard other systems - usually 552/500 based with bigger and different speakers in larger rooms or systems that are just really at one with the rooms they are in - and thought I wish my system was that good. It's not something I've really dwelt on at home but during the week I have caught myself thinking WOW - I don't think that I have ever heard that sound so good.

Thirdly the system has got better and better over the week and sound has evolved and become beautifully integrated to create a performance in the room on every record - don't ask me to explain that :shock: Hopefully the improvement will continue.

Finally a big thank you to Peter and his team - and also to ray - already looking forward to next time. 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Re: Urika with Chord Sarum Super ARAY

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:22 am

Chris,
You had to bung one of those contract work words in. :smt036
Obviate :smt023
I haven't seen that word since i stopped selling houses for my parents in the early 70s.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:12 am

Stu - It's a great word. People should use it more 8) I'm pleased that you are focussing on the detail :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble to write up your experiences Chris. Most, if not all, and especially you, know what my thoughts/experiences have been over the SSA cables and in particular between their use between the Urika and preamp. It's good to hear that you are happy and more importantly, enjoying the fruits of your no doubt hard earned Wonga .... :smt020 ..... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Congratulations, Chris. That is now one serious LP12 you have there. Enjoy the music.

Cheers, Clive

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 am

Red Chris wrote:
Finally a big thank you to Peter and his team - and also to ray - already looking forward to next time. 8)
Good to see you both the other week. Nice idea on the car share there and I'm really pleased to hear that you are getting on so well.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks Peter - I am delighted. :smt023

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:42 pm

I continue to be be very very pleased by the integration that the Sarum Super ARAY has brought - it sounds as though it was made to go with the rest of my system 8)

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:21 am

Red Chris wrote:I continue to be be very very pleased by the integration that the Sarum Super ARAY has brought - it sounds as though it was made to go with the rest of my system 8)
Good to hear Chris, it is great when something comes together just how you wanted it to ....and more ..... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

BevC

Post by BevC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:09 pm

We have also completed the journey from STA to SSA for all of our interconnects. Recently we carefully considered the mains cables in the system and have changed from Naim Powerlines to Chord Signature Aray. The benefit to our Akurate Radikal was unbelievable. We have to thank everyone at Cymbiosis for allowing us to borrow the Chords. :D

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer