First LP12, what to look for

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Paul-H

First LP12, what to look for

Post by Paul-H » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi all

Thinking of updating my trusty 30 odd year old Pioneer PL-112D and have always fancied an LP12 and now after all these years I am now going to be in a position to get one, so what should I look out for when buying second hand any models or versions that stand out as recommended or best avoided for the LP12 beginner.

How do the current models compare to the older models, again any stand out ones to look for.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: First LP12, what to look for

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Can be a long journey but well worth the outcome.
First thing paramount find a dealer that really knows an LP12 I wouldn't buy second hand unless it's pedigree and service history is well documented.
There are a lot of " Bitza " decks around. :smt018
A good dealer can and often do have very much pre loved examples for sale and with that in mind the dealer will be happy to deal with that in future " not flog and forget ".
First choice for me would be as basic and new as possible to enjoy changes when it suits you rather than going through a cycle of never ending used parts.
If used I personally wouldn't buy one earlier than late 1980s corner braced plinth, Cirkus bearing, and probably a Lingo1 at least power supply then an arm and cartridge lots of choices but by this time a good dealer will advise a cost effective ongoing path.
I know this is not cheap but I'm still using the my deck bought new in 1987 but has been upgraded as tech and engineering has advanced.
Even the most basic LP12 complete is a huge rung on the ladder from old Japanese completes but most have had one. :oops:
Good dealers do travel mine does. 8) :smt023
A dealer that can build and service with that special expertise is priceless. :wink:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 pm

1) Avoid ePay (other auction sites are available :roll: ) You might get a bargain, but you are more likely to buy a dog. A LP12 transported with the bearings not supported WILL need the inner platter and bearing replacing. Your bargain suddenly becomes a money pit.

2) Like Jim said (and I also said on your other topic) get a good dealer. If you let us know what part of the country you are in we can give recommendations.

3) Don't think (as has been said by people who think they know better) that dealer prices are exorbitant. Would you buy a Bugatti and get it serviced at Kwik Fit? Of course not, and neither should you look after you LP12 that way. A quality product needs a quality technician and parts. The LP12 belt costs £50. Why should I pay that when I can get one off of ePay for under a tenner you ask? Read my review of the new LINN belt (and an alternative) and you will see.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

red kite

Post by red kite » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Paul-H wrote: How do the current models compare to the older models, again any stand out ones to look for.
Hi Paul,

In a nutshell, i would say the current models are far improved on from earlier, higher standards of engineering are employed in almost every component of a modern LP12, but this comes at cost.

An LP12 can be built up from pre-owned parts for a few hundred quid, to brand new parts to well over £20k, most will settle for something in-between
but the thing that remains constant is the need of expertise with the building and tune up regardless of budget. This will mean even the most modest and affordable LP12 can end up sounding musically enjoyable to the listener.
A good dealer will have the necessary engineering skills accomplished with years of experience of working with LP12s, as well as a showroom full of LP12s for demo's.

You need a demo listen to LP12s so you can hear what's on offer.

How much is your budget for an LP12?

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:35 pm

red kite wrote: A good dealer will have the necessary engineering skills accomplished with years of experience of working with LP12s, as well as a showroom full of LP12s for demo's.
There can't be many of those, Debs, which might explain why I (and you, I believe) travel quite some distance.

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks for the replies and useful tips

I am in North Kent if anyone know of any interesting dealers I might like to visit in the surrounding counties..

Thanks

Paul

red kite

Post by red kite » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm

evil_C wrote:
red kite wrote: A good dealer will have the necessary engineering skills accomplished with years of experience of working with LP12s, as well as a showroom full of LP12s for demo's.
There can't be many of those, Debs, which might explain why I (and you, I believe) travel quite some distance.
Clive,

it can take me less than a couple of hours to drive the 110 mile trip, all going well with traffic on the M6

The directions to MECCA [ Musical Ecstasy Centre Cymbiosis Audio ] :g-thumb:

https://www.cymbiosis.com/contact/#findus

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:39 pm

image.jpeg
All roads lead to.
https://www.cymbiosis.com/
I live less than an hours drive from Linn HQ and I'm relieved and delighted that Peter travels to me. :smt052
8) :smt023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:45 pm

I totally agree with Debbie, Cymbiosis is my dealer as well (though its only a thick hours drive for me)

The only dealer 'near' you that I have hear good reports LP12 wise is Audio T in Brighton (although I have no personal experience and I suspect that in reality its not much difference in travelling time)

Peter (Cymbiosis) is a great guy to deal with, and 9when he is in the country) is more then willing to give advice by phone or email. He literally travels all over the world setting up LP12 which gives you some idea of the regard he is held in.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:34 pm

red kite wrote:
evil_C wrote:
Clive,

it can take me less than a couple of hours to drive the 110 mile trip, all going well with traffic on the M6

The directions to MECCA [ Musical Ecstasy Centre Cymbiosis Audio ] :g-thumb:

https://www.cymbiosis.com/contact/#findus
It's about 115 miles for me via the Fosse Way, which takes me about 2:30. But Cymbiosis is a great place to visit :smt023

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer