First LP12, what to look for

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: First LP12, what to look for

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Certainly puts the question in perspective a Rega P3 will definitely show your faithful old Pioneer to the retirement home.
Having that quantity of vinyl after a good while unless they were my desert island discs I couldn't justify that spend to an LP12 but do thoroughly enjoy what you have.
It's a personal decision but I wouldn't buy a bodge on the cheap after all you've been very happy so far shame to upset the apples now. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:37 am

Coyote Jim wrote:Certainly puts the question in perspective a Rega P3 will definitely show your faithful old Pioneer to the retirement home.
Having that quantity of vinyl after a good while unless they were my desert island discs I couldn't justify that spend to an LP12 but do thoroughly enjoy what you have.
It's a personal decision but I wouldn't buy a bodge on the cheap after all you've been very happy so far shame to upset the apples now. 8) :smt023
I wouldn't go as far as a P3.

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 am

Jazz Club wrote:
Paul-H wrote:Not that large by everyone else's standard and most went missing during various house moves, probably about 40.
How many CDs do you have?
Hundreds, and Thousands of digital Files as well 8) which are sent to the Amplifier via a WiFi streamer.

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies

I do suppose if I was to be honest and put my logical thinking hat on the LP12 is far too good for what I need, its just I always wanted one but could never afford one, now I can it got me thinking.

But as said above for what I want a lesser TT would be more than acceptable.

Mind you that now opens a whole new can of worms

Something Vintage like a Thorens or something new like a Pro-Ject especially their Thorens look alike Classic.

Paul

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

If you've always wanted one then it's your money but for the outlay it's a very modest vinyl collection to throw at it.
Buy new whatever you fancy there is no point in constantly keeping the obsolete spares hunt going.
I'd buy a Rega whatever you fancy brand new and be well happy to put the old Pioneer gracefully to pasture.
Incidentally Project make the arm Linn utilises on the Majik LP12 :shock:
Don't forget the most important thing " the music " 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Jazz Club wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:Certainly puts the question in perspective a Rega P3 will definitely show your faithful old Pioneer to the retirement home.
I wouldn't go as far as a P3.
Neither would I. I would go for a new RP1. It's a great deck that will easily be better than an old Pioneer deck and it will be more than good enough for 40 albums ..... :D
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 pm

I'd go for a pre-loved Rega Planar 3 :smt023 I think there is something a bit special about a Rega Planar 3, of any vintage, and mine is quite elderly -like its owner :smt030
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 pm

If you want an LP12 then I say go for it and enjoy each LP you have better.

Life is a finite journey and do not deny yourself anything you covet enough to class as a luxury product.

I don't get this 'how many albums have you got' comment. If you have 10,000 albums and do not own a great turntable (and a record cleaning machine) then are we calling that a stupid decision ? Surely a great turntable and RCM should be bought at the start of your record buying/collecting ?

Just get the best turntable you want - and can afford - then every album that you have or will buy in the future will sound as good as it can.

How many LP12 owners on this forum would swap their turntable for a Rega RP1 / Planar 3 etc. right now ? Doubt there will be any.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 am

Start of the journey?
Look at the Ops system and over 30 year old TT that's not had a new cartridge to play his over 30 year old record collection of 30 records.

I wouldn't buy any level of LP 12 now in this day of quality digital music if I only had 30 records.
That's why I asked how many CDs does he have?

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:20 pm

If he did buy an LP12, it's more than likely the sound quality will encourage him to expand his collection. :smt023
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer