Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Kandid!

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:07 am

image.jpeg
:smt036
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 am

Coyote Jim wrote:image.jpeg :smt036
Hi Jimbo hows the Ekos Se and new Krystal coming on?

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am

The Flatearther wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:image.jpeg :smt036
Hi Jimbo hows the Ekos Se and new Krystal coming on?
Hi Steve,
All is superb now mate I've not been listening too much lately family have split hols just now.
The rebuild and all the new goodies are superb.
Hadn't planned to do a Radikal Urika Keel Ekos Se and Krystal quite so quickly though :oops: but we're only here once and all the family is into music so makes sense to do it while together.
Strange thing is that after years of multi amping and all the power supply boxes that simplifying the whole lot and " common sense " approach to concentrate on the optimum source is playing huge musical dividends.
Sound strange to say although it'll never happen now I wish they had made a Klimax integrated I'd have bought it.
As long as I can still get off my chuff and put on an album I'll make do with my lot " until something breaks like last time " :roll: 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 pm

Only 11 hours on my new Kandid now but already I am getting the measure of the differences between this cartridge and my old Dynavector XV-1T. Yes, there are differnces , these are totally different animals.

Now the XV-1T was a fantastic cartridge, there is no denying that. However the consensus of opinion is that it is a "pretty" cartridge , whilst the Kandid is more up front and ballsy with lots of boogie woogie. I have to say that I don't agree with those sentiments. The DV was actually a very neutral performer which had plenty of boogie factor and detail plus speed but it could also sound very bland and matter of fact too. One of its strengths was that no matter how dense and raucous the recording it would never lose control, but neither does the Kandid. Always in total unfazed control, but with sparkle.

After listening to some favourite albums, I notice that the Kandid conveys cymbal work in a most convincing manner. In fact the illusion of a drummer striking a cymbal , with the bloom and decay sounding spot on to real life is actually quite astonishing. One can even sense where on the cymbal it is being struck. I am far more aware of how drummers are playing their hihats and ride cymbals . The glorious golden sheen of a good quality ride cymbal comes across as never before. At the other extreme , bass guitar is very tactile and bottom E is given full rein too, exceptionally tight and tuneful. This is where the boogie factor comes from . Drums have never sounded better, in my opinion and together with the tight bass the song is powered along with panache.
But the Kandid has great sweetness too, with very organic tone colours and never harsh or grainy. It seems to dig into every recording and find a fresh sound with zest and vibrancy. At the price it has no rivals in my experience and represents enormous value for money. I can't find a single thing wrong with it.
Linn/Naim Lover

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:30 pm

What all this means is that on a full house LP12 with the Urika, the synergy of all these DW designed components come together to make the Kandid the undisputed King of Hearts and Soul. My Dynavector days are over guys, until DW designs a better cartridge I'm a Kandid Konvert. The price difference between these two transducers is enough to buy 2 Kandids for the price of 1 DV, but ignoring price is a tough call for the DV here and now. Music lovers will be more than happy to save a shedload of money on the cheap option, without sacrificing anything on the altar :D of analogue bliss.
Linn/Naim Lover

varyat

Post by varyat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Dr- Yes the Kandid and the Dyn's are totally different animals indeed but both have very strong performances. The Dyn XV1-s ( your t probably even more so ) just throws off a massive soundstage and is , let's say, a bit more mature than the Kandid to my ears. What the Kandid does is grab you by the throat and pulls you into the music- it rocks! I run 2 decks and switch back and forth - they are both great cartridges. Totally agree that at the XV1-t price, the Kandid is a bargain for pure enjoyment factor :smt023 .
ATB,
Mark

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Yeah yeah yeah - that's all well and good, but it's certainly not a Krystal :smt030 :D
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Dr_Eddie

Post by Dr_Eddie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Wow Mark, 2 decks, that is impressive. I have to say that here the soundstage set up by the Kandid is even more focussed and holographic than the DV . More of that, in-the-room factor for sure. And another point I've noted is that the Kandid doesn't just play records . It performs them...............

For me, at least, the Kandid would appear to be the more musically satisfying to be sat in front of, more like live music.
What would you buy for your second deck if your DV needed replacing ? Another one ?
Linn/Naim Lover

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 pm

varyat wrote:Dr- Yes the Kandid and the Dyn's are totally different animals indeed but both have very strong performances. The Dyn XV1-s ( your t probably even more so ) just throws off a massive soundstage and is , let's say, a bit more mature than the Kandid to my ears. What the Kandid does is grab you by the throat and pulls you into the music- it rocks! I run 2 decks and switch back and forth - they are both great cartridges. Totally agree that at the XV1-t price, the Kandid is a bargain for pure enjoyment factor :smt023 .
ATB,
Mark
Mark,
Did you get to listen to a [ external image ]while at Peters?

varyat

Post by varyat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 am

Dr- Yes, the Kandid does have that "in the room" effect here as well. It seems to be a more forward presentation to my ears vs the Dynavector's more behind the speakers presentation. If that makes sense :smt017 ? I really like both cartridges. I have kind of came up the ranks with Dynavectors ( 20X, XX2 ) and find the XV1-s very comfortable and familiar- I like the house sound signature. The Kandid is my first Linn cartridge.
I just like having the option to hear different presentations given the mood I am in. For us here in the US, cartridge demo's on a LP12 are near impossible. Certainly if I had a shop like Cymbiosis nearby, I would demo more brands- the Lyra are of interest to me for sure. I am happy with the Dyn and actually will be having it rebuilt in the very near future :D .
ATB,
Mark

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer