Didn't We Have A Lovely Time

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Didn't We Have A Lovely Time

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Where can I start except am I not lucky to have the most dedicated dealer out there. :smt045
No distance a problem and unreserved support for his clients.
I couldn't get a dealer I trusted nearby and I made contact with Peter even although he is hundreds of miles away from me.
I'm compelled to write this little update as I was expecting to be sitting in audio nirvana this evening with a new Ekos SE/1 sadly no.
The upgrade is still happening and the deck is in readiness for some TLC.
The arm was changed today all set up and put in place for a listen and Oops not as engaging as I expected at all. :smt018
So the arm was removed all connections checked and tight " although I did notice an irregularity of the size of shrouds and colour sleeves on the tag wires.
Maybe cosmetic but at that price and my OCD they were not staying.
So Peter installed the tag wires that came with Krystal and reset everything and went for round two.
Something was much better more attack and speed and bass went very deep and more tuneful than before.
During listening Peter noticed that the system not playing had become " noisy " some noise is apparent on Phono inputs at very high volume not playing but when we looked at the volume it was only 50 I stream radio at a lower volume than than.
It's a constant whoosh and hiss but both channels at the same time even swopping inputs around didn't change anything the noise moved with the input.
Now we're scratching heads especially with Peter being so far away from me. :smt017
Peter came to the sofa called the shop and is shipping a new Radikal Urika Ekos SE and Krystal to eliminate the problem. :shock:
And another flight each way. :roll:
What dealer has that level of commitment and level of stock to support his Clients.
Problems are very upsetting but how can you not be gobsmacked with a support like that.
I've heard people sniping from time to time about Peter this and Peter that and how can he support such a wide customer base and the answer is simple he gets off his arse and makes it happen and hats off to him for it " a quiet few days will make the heart grow fonder.
So support your local or not so local dealer even when it goes pear shaped he won't hide.
Just in case of confusion Peter is Cymbiosis :smt052 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Re: Didn't We Have A Lovely Time

Post by Mr Fixit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:30 am

Thanks Jim for writing the update for the guys as I've received several emails asking how we got on today and I'm only now getting on top of my mailbox again. - Lots of enquiries atm due to Linn's imminent price rise!

Just a couple of things to add:

Following the initial installation of the SE and the subsequent listening tests in which whilst it was obvious the SE was better than the Ekos 1 it was replacing, it was agreed that we were not getting the kind of improvements that either Jim or I had expected. As Jim said; the tag wires as supplied in the SE box were slightly variable in their appearance and the size of the plastic shrouds protecting the tags.

So, before going further with the listening tests I decided to change all four tag wires for a replacement set.
Once everything was correctly installed again, we recommenced the listening tests and to our surprise and pleasure we both felt there were significant improvements in sound! It was only at this point that I decided that it was appropriate to now conduct listening tests; varying the tracking force of the Krystal in order to ensure we were tracking at the very best tracking weight. It was at this time that I started giving the system more beans and took volume over 50. Everything sounded good but while I was changing the tracking force and much nearer the speakers I was rapidly aware of an excessive background hiss coming from the speakers. Consequently, I stopped what I was doing and immediately started investigating this and in the end reinstalled the turntable with the original Ekos 1 arm and had the deck sitting in the jig to next to Jim's system affect some noise checks. The result was the same with the original arm.
So, at this point we can rule out the arm. However there are a lot of other variables which need to be assessed. Additionally with a very low listening levels, there's also a question in the back of my mind as to whether the noise was pre-existing or not. It's annoying and once recognised you cannot ignore this sound, and Jim felt the noise was not there before.

On this occasion working on a known LP 12 and upgrading just the arm for Jim, all I had with me was the arm and set-up gear, no other spare bits of kit to swap in and out in order to narrow down and then pinpoint the issue. Yes the Ekos SE was checked fully in the shop by me before I sent it to Jim. But faced with this conundrum I have already organised to test first thing tomorrow morning and then to ship up to Jim a Krystal, Ekos SE, Radikal and Urika in order to hopefully have everything to . One of the fortunate realities here is I keep everything in stock new and ready to go. So no time wasting on ordering the gear up.

So armed with the necessary gear to substitute in and out hopefully I can resolve the problem next week. The first day I am clear of any previously arranged appointments is Thursday 30th and so I will be playing déjà vu at East Midlands airport at 6 AM in the morning arriving in Glasgow or maybe even Edinburgh at about 9 AM this will give us the whole day to go through everything before I fly home again in the evening. Additional to the list above I will be taking earth wires and a test meter. Additional connecting wires are necessary as we can't rule out the possibility that the Radikal to Urika power and signal cable is actually the culprit or system earthing. This seems unlikely, but I want to have as much covered as I possibly can.

So, watch this space and I'll get this sorted for Jim ASAP.

KR

Peter
Last edited by Mr Fixit on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:40 am

Jim/Peter,
What a bummer guys.
Sorry to hear it all went a bit Pete tong.
Never nice when the unexpected happens.
Roll on next week. :smt023
Last edited by Jazz Club on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:54 am

Jazz Club wrote:Jim/Peter,
What a bummer guys.
Sorry to hear it all went a bit Pete tong.
Neve nice when the unexpected happens.
Roll on next week. :smt023
Indeed.

As I speak, I have everything I will send up to Jim in readiness for next week now running quietly here at the shop.

All I have to do later this morning is find a suitably big outer box and book my flights! :smt023

KR

Peter

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:44 am

Good things come to those who wait Jim :wink:
Well Keeled :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:57 am

As I said to Jim earlier, Oh Poo!

Remember, it will be worth the wait and just goes to show what a perfectionist and all round great guy Peter is.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

apye

Post by apye » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:23 am

Gutted for you Jim, hope everything gets sorted soon. :smt023 :wink:
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:02 pm

shellspeed wrote:Good things come to those who wait Jim :wink:
Kazoo'ed in a Tidal wave - Time to get Spaced. :wink:

When at the conference on Monday I heard the new KDS/3 with Katalyst!

Think Lingo > Radikal in terms of sound quality upgrade!!! :shock:

Review in Oct Hi-Fi+ - I suggest anyone interested should go and buy it..............

Cannot reproduce the original here for obvious reasons.

KR

Peter
Last edited by Mr Fixit on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Juicy snippet, Anything else interesting?
Well Keeled :smt020

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
shellspeed wrote:Good things come to those who wait Jim :wink:
Kazoo'ed in a Tidal wave - Time to get Spaced. :wink:

When at the conference on Monday I heard the new KDS/4 with Katalyst!

Think Lingo > Radikal in terms of sound quality upgrade!!! :shock:

Review in Oct Hi-Fi+ - I suggest anyone interested should go and buy it..............

Cannot reproduce the original here for obvious reasons.

KR

Peter
Is the Katalyst a separate product as Lingo/Radikal or is it something within the DS enclosure?
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer