Balancing Akito

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
Mr Fixit
Trade Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 am

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Mr Fixit » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:21 am

Pediatrik wrote:Done! No sticky bearing. :D

The question now is if I should return to 2.3 as before or if I should go for the recommended 1.75?! And shouldn't tracking force and anti-skate/bias be set to the same value? In my case it seemed to be 2.3 and 2.0... :smt017
Well, having just seen the tread and busy catching up with things here guys, many thanks for helping Pediatrik and makes me think about how many people out there don't know the set-up/balancing procedure for their arm.

Pediatrik, I guess a dealer installed the cartridge and set up the arm for you?

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com
Skype: peteratcymbiosis

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Pediatrik » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 am

Peter, yes the arm and cartridge have been installed by a dealer. I recently changed the stylus, but without changing tracking force or anti-skate.

By the way, no sticky dials or bearings that I could detect!
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Jazz Club

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 am

Pediatrik wrote:Peter, yes the arm and cartridge have been installed by a dealer. I recently changed the stylus, but without changing tracking force or anti-skate.

By the way, no sticky dials or bearings that I could detect!
Pediatrik,
Is this your first turntable ?

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Pediatrik » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 am

Not quite. My first turntable was a LINN Basik, later replaced by this LP12.
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Jazz Club

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:33 am

Pediatrik wrote:Not quite. My first turntable was a LINN Basik, later replaced by this LP12.
How come you don't know how to use one then?

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:22 am

I remember having to learn that with my very first Jap turntable back in the day.
No dealer set up just a box.
The most confusing thing wasn't balancing out the arm it was playing hunt the drive belt I eventually found it attached hidden on the platter hub. :oops: Dugh.
Brings back memories. :smt017 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Pediatrik » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:26 am

Jazz Club wrote:
Pediatrik wrote:Not quite. My first turntable was a LINN Basik, later replaced by this LP12.
How come you don't know how to use one then?
Yes I do. I've been playing records on it for +20 years. My dealer has done all the changing of cartridges and so on. Sorry, if my ignorance offends you. Maybe this forum isn't for people like me.
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Jazz Club

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:36 am

Pediatrik wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:
Pediatrik wrote:Not quite. My first turntable was a LINN Basik, later replaced by this LP12.
How come you don't know how to use one then?
Yes I do. I've been playing records on it for +20 years. My dealer has done all the changing of cartridges and so on. Sorry, if my ignorance offends you. Maybe this forum isn't for people like me.
I wasn't offended.
I just wondered why you didn't know how to use your turntable?
Now you have said you have been playing records for +20 years.
I find it strange anyone could be using any make of TT for that long and not know the basics about setting up a tonearm even if one has had a dealer do everything for all those years.
I have no wish to piss you off.
I just find it strange.
I was going to suggest buying a good quality Stylus gauge so you can get your tracking weight spot on then adjust by ear while playing because your arm dial will not be accurate.
Last edited by Jazz Club on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Stretford End Lower

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Red Chris » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:54 am

Pediatrik wrote:Maybe this forum isn't for people like me.
It is the right forum - no-one suggested you should get an Ekos SE instead :lol:

I would echo CJ's comments on tracking weight - or of course you can ask Mr Fixit :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Re: Balancing Akito

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Pediatrik wrote:Maybe this forum isn't for people like me.
It is the right forum - no-one suggested you should get an Ekos SE instead :lol:

I would echo CJ's comments on tracking weight - or of course you can ask Mr Fixit :smt023
Chris,
If you had read all the why's and wherefores above?
You would of seen he did asked Peter. :smt023

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer