A Radikal Adventure

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Yes, the Radikal powers the Motor only.

Damping? Screening? Constrained layer? I don't know whats doing what, but its doing something.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:09 pm

UPDATE

The internal and bottom Aluminium slabs are grounded to the case. The top one isn't, so ...

I have drilled a 2mm hole in the rear edge of the top plate and made a 2mm plug to fork connector cable running between the top plate and the Radikal's earth post.

10 min work, £0-00 outlay and more music. Yes really. The musicians have taken lessons over night, tuned the instruments and the conductor is really on the ball.

So you do not need just mass, you need shielding as well. If you do nothing else, I recommend this mod to the Radikal. Its cheap (maybe £35 all in for the top plate and grounding wire) and does not involve removing the case.

... and I am still wondering about a 20mm thick slab.

... or several thinner slabs, all with felt constraining damping and grounded to the casework.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:25 pm

Any pics of the latest mod james?
Well Keeled :smt020

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:59 am

Very interesting and well done for doing the mods.

Many years ago I spoke with someone who went to Japan to be shown how certain exclusive cartridges were manufactured. He explained how part of the design paid a huge amount of attention to reducing the amount of empty space inside the cartridge body as it was felt that this caused unwanted resonances. Consequently I then removed the plastic casing on my Arkiv, and then Akiva and had always run them naked. It wasn't a night and day improvement but I felt there was a definite benefit.

This makes me wonder whether a similar situation is occurring with the Radikal - the Klimax casing dramatically reduces the space around the board and power supply compared to the Akurate version. It may be worth ordering up some blue foam and cutting it to shape so that it reduces the free space inside the box? I'm planning on trying to do the same with one of my LP12s to see what effect it has. The idea is not to use it to damp any surfaces (this has been tried in the past and the general consensus is not good) but to instead use it to fill up dead space which could amplify resonances much like a guitar for example.

Anyway, whilst you're in the mood for opening your case and experimenting I thought I'd mention it. It's only conjecture on my part but could be simple to try out.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 am

A couple of Krap Phone Photos of the grounding cable.

Roger@TP wrote:Very interesting and well done for doing the mods.

Many years ago I spoke with someone who went to Japan to be shown how certain exclusive cartridges were manufactured. He explained how part of the design paid a huge amount of attention to reducing the amount of empty space inside the cartridge body as it was felt that this caused unwanted resonances. Consequently I then removed the plastic casing on my Arkiv, and then Akiva and had always run them naked. It wasn't a night and day improvement but I felt there was a definite benefit.

This makes me wonder whether a similar situation is occurring with the Radikal - the Klimax casing dramatically reduces the space around the board and power supply compared to the Akurate version. It may be worth ordering up some blue foam and cutting it to shape so that it reduces the free space inside the box? I'm planning on trying to do the same with one of my LP12s to see what effect it has. The idea is not to use it to damp any surfaces (this has been tried in the past and the general consensus is not good) but to instead use it to fill up dead space which could amplify resonances much like a guitar for example.

Anyway, whilst you're in the mood for opening your case and experimenting I thought I'd mention it. It's only conjecture on my part but could be simple to try out.
Interesting idea Roger. Any idea on what sort of foam to use? I assume that something anti-static would be best.
James

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

James how about sythetic speaker wadding?

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:03 am

The Flatearther wrote:James how about synthetic speaker wadding?
That has quite a low density, so I don't thing it will really 'fill' the space.
James

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:26 am

James, this is the sort of thing I was going to experiment with:

http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/craftfoam-blue

You can get it in various thicknesses and then cut and bond them together to create specific shapes etc.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Roger@TP wrote:James, this is the sort of thing I was going to experiment with:

http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/craftfoam-blue

You can get it in various thicknesses and then cut and bond them together to create specific shapes etc.
Cheers Roger. I'll look into that
James

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 pm

James, I just saw the Klimax internal you posted on the other forum. It looks like there is a bit of space around that board (I've only seen inside the KK and KDS which are more compact around the boards) - so may be filling it is not the issue here.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer