Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Roger@TP wrote:James, this is the sort of thing I was going to experiment with:

http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/craftfoam-blue

You can get it in various thicknesses and then cut and bond them together to create specific shapes etc.
Cheers Roger. I'll look into that
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 pm

James, I just saw the Klimax internal you posted on the other forum. It looks like there is a bit of space around that board (I've only seen inside the KK and KDS which are more compact around the boards) - so may be filling it is not the issue here.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

I am assuming that the CNC casework is the same for all Klimax products with just the rear panel being the product specific part. There are certainly additional PCB mounting bushes the the photo you referenced. (see below)

James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Did you try it with the lid off James?
Well Keeled :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm

shellspeed wrote:Did you try it with the lid off James?
Not yet. I just haven't had the time or the energy right now. I'm going to strip it all down sometime soon (further ideas) so I'll try it then.

TBH as removing the top won't allow me to use my grounded top plate (thereby loosing maybe 3-4kg mass) I don't know what will; happen.
James

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 pm

James I love this project youre undertaking. Brilliant stuff.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks mate. Its been an interesting journey, well start of a journey anyway.

Once I have finished all of my ideas (well, finished the ones I have in mind right now. No doubt there will be more to do as soon as I think I am 'finished' :roll: ) I will do a re write. Lets hope I remember what mod did what.
James

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 pm

shellspeed wrote:Did you try it with the lid off James?
Tried it with the lid off.

Quick Précis:- More HiFi less Music. Bass overblown and woolly, treble harsh, not nice at all.
James

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Interesting :smt017
Well Keeled :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:23 pm

OK, after the "topless" experiment, back to todays main event. After talking with David W @ LINN I wondered about the feet and coupling. The supplied feet are heavy metal, BUT have a rubber/felt pad under them, and have double sided tape at each interface. All of which must give some sort of suspension effect. Would a more rigid set up be better? Well, lets see.

I removed all of the parts fitted thus far and disposed with the internal divider as it was adding little(if anything) to the sound. I drilled a 4mm hole in the bottom plate centre back countersinking it on the inside. The holes where the LINN rear feet would go I countersunk on the outside.

I already had a set of Russ Andrews Jumbo Cones lying around, so I put them to good use. Using a thread reducer (the Oak Cones have a M6 thread, and the Radikal case has M4) I fitted one oak cone centre back, then bolted the bottom plate in place with 2x M4 bolts from the LINN feet at the rear, and used M4 studding to hold the front Oak Cones in place at the front.

Back in the rack, top plate in place and grounded as before.

Result? PHEW! The music is back again. Nice and precise (Mrs O's very words) Bass is back under control, soundstage a wee bit wider and all together more musical.

If you are doing the base plate, then I recommend you do the feet as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer