A Radikal Adventure

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
Mr Onion
Site Moderator
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Location: Between two Super 20's

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Its been a while coming (having had the Lurgi and then some awful tabs has somewhat delayed me) but I have finally got the 10mm top plate finished replacing the previous 6mm one.

I have ended up with the bottom 6mm plate, 3 oak cone feet and the 10mm top plate grounded to the case. Instead of Vinyl Wrap I have spent the time and effort to paint it. One coat of etching primer, 3 coats of PlastiKote black primer, and many coats of PlastiKote Satin Black. Lots of sanding prep work and between coats (you will need an orbital or belt sander) The internal screen I have removed as it wasn't doing anything significant.

In place it has a bit of the same look as the NAIM CD555

Result? More of the same. I am VERY happy with what this has done to the Radikal, and for such a relatively small outlay. (well under £100 inc paint)

The 6mm top plate is now going spare. Its still wrapped and felted, and will come with a grounding cable. It just sits on the top of the Radikal and no bolts will be harmed in its fitment. The Aluminium cost me £19 inc VAT and Hermes 3 day delivery will be £6-30 (its over 2kg remember)

PM me if you are interested.
SOLD
James
_________________

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Wenge1
Queue Moderator
Posts: 4823
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Mr Onion wrote:Its been a while coming (having had the Lurgi and then some awful tabs has somewhat delayed me) but I have finally got the 10mm top plate finished replacing the previous 6mm one.

I have ended up with the bottom 6mm plate, 3 oak cone feet and the 10mm top plate grounded to the case. Instead of Vinyl Wrap I have spent the time and effort to paint it. One coat of etching primer, 3 coats of PlastiKote black primer, and many coats of PlastiKote Satin Black. Lots of sanding prep work and between coats (you will need an orbital or belt sander) The internal screen I have removed as it wasn't doing anything significant.

In place it has a bit of the same look as the NAIM CD555

Result? More of the same. I am VERY happy with what this has done to the Radikal, and for such a relatively small outlay. (well under £100 inc paint)

The 6mm top plate is now going spare. Its still wrapped and felted, and will come with a grounding cable. It just sits on the top of the Radikal and no bolts will be harmed in its fitment. The Aluminium cost me £19 inc VAT and Hermes 3 day delivery will be £6-30 (its over 2kg remember)

PM me if you are interested.
.
Have you a pic or two of the end result than you can share with us James ..... :D
.
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Kandid
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - ProAc Response D2's
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Chord Signature speaker cable
.

User avatar
Mr Onion
Site Moderator
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Location: Between two Super 20's

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Wenge1 wrote: Have you a pic or two of the end result than you can share with us James ..... :D
.
Not as yet, I haven't got much energy back yet but I'll shoot a few over the coming days (hopefully :roll: )
James
_________________

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Wenge1
Queue Moderator
Posts: 4823
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Wenge1 wrote: Have you a pic or two of the end result than you can share with us James ..... :D
.
Not as yet, I haven't got much energy back yet but I'll shoot a few over the coming days (hopefully :roll: )
.
.
No pressure mate, in your own time ..... :smt052 ....... :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Kandid
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - ProAc Response D2's
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Chord Signature speaker cable
.

User avatar
Mr Onion
Site Moderator
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Location: Between two Super 20's

Re: A Radikal Adventure

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:06 pm

I finally remembered to take a few photos of the new 10mm top plate. (click thumbnails to see full sized images)

Image Image Image Image Image
James
_________________

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer