Alternatives to Urika

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

shellspeed

Re: Alternatives to Urika

Post by shellspeed » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 am

If he/she is currently running silvers then I suspect they will be in for quite a shock (not just financial either :lol: ).
Well Keeled :smt020

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

shellspeed wrote:If he/she is currently running silvers then I suspect they will be in for quite a shock (not just financial either :lol: ).
He has been using Chord SSA's for a year or so. 8)

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:40 am

Jazz Club wrote:
mikeg wrote:Wouldn't the Uphorik be an obvious option?
It would give one more cartridge options but its not as good as a Radikal powered inboard Urika with a Kandid and top Lyra and DV carts and one would need another level of rack.

Personally my view would be if its not broken why fix it? :smt023
A friend of mine is having a Chord Music cable fitted to his Urika in the next day or two.
Im looking forward to hearing what he thinks of it?
His LP12 sits on a Tigerpaw Vulkan wall shelf.
He is also having his Linn KDS upgraded and will no doubt be trying the Music on that if its not already on it being warmed up. :smt023
Yes, all done here and the system sounds just amazing!!! The Katalyst upgrade was huge for the KDS. The Music was massively better than the Super Sarum on the KDS in several A/Bs and given it needs me to fit it to the Urika, it was utilised here this afternoon and WOW!!

Obviously, more Musics may follow between the KDS and 552 and 552PS and 500, but these are just client plug and plays..... A little bit like what I've been able to help Vincent with in my absence from the UK.... Plug in and try for yourself at home...Always the best way to judge if possible.

Anyway, I fly home early tomorrow morning US time, getting back to Heathrow rather late in the evening, so I'll try and catch up on the Travels thread when I get the opportunity.

Kind regards,

Peter

[ external image ]
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:19 am

Now that could be a stealth upgrade - but with something else needed to justify the improvement - perhaps a Vulkan 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:46 pm

He got the VulKan just after its release, only a few weeks after Roger sent me mine with two boards to play with.
He came up with the idea of using wing nuts :smt023

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Red Chris wrote:Now that could be a stealth upgrade - but with something else needed to justify the improvement - perhaps a Vulkan 8)
Go on Chris, your 'a twitch'in and a fixing' for a set of Musics ....... 8)
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:11 pm

I wish someone had the money to buy one and the minerals to open it up and have a look inside to see what makes it so bloody expensive?
My old mate Marc Newman and a couple his friends over the pond would of jumped at the chance to do this a while back. :smt023

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:38 pm

image.jpeg
It doesn't take Sherlock to see that a gallon won't fit into a pint pot without serious spillage. :smt036
Probably why Linn wouldn't do the Silvers Phono - Din thing. :smt018
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:image.jpegIt doesn't take Sherlock to see that a gallon won't fit into a pint pot without serious spillage. :smt036
Probably why Linn wouldn't do the Silvers Phono - Din thing. :smt018
Jim,
That really annoyed me at the time. :smt013
I had got David Williamson to OK it and the ball was rolling until the people that build there Silvers put the mockers on it. :smt018 :roll:
Two friends of mine (One in Holland and one in England) painstakingly took the time and fitted a Din plug onto there Silvers and used shrink tube to finish.
It made a big difference for the better. :smt023
The one from Holland ended up at Mr Fixits when he was changing his system a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Jazz Club on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Coyote Jim wrote: Probably why Linn wouldn't do the Silvers Phono - Din thing. :smt018
I think it was couldn't rather than wouldn't - as they did not have sufficient cable expertise sadly 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer