Alternatives to Urika

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Re: Alternatives to Urika

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Years of bashing?? :smt017
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:02 am

Red Chris wrote:Years of bashing?? :smt017
I know Image

Red Chris

Alternatives to Urika

Post by Red Chris » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:10 am

I'm afraid you've completely lost me now :?
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:22 am

Red Chris wrote:I'm afraid you've completely lost me now :?
That makes a change. :smt005

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 am

The video was something I found while I was looking for help on terminating cables for my own benefit. I changed out the RCA plugs on one end of my Cadenza's to XLR plugs for the phono stage and wanted some idea of what I was getting into. Worked out great in the end. Very easy DIY job for someone who is allowed to play with hot or sharp objects.

With regards to the outer casing, I ended up removing it to allow for easier cable dressing. I know this has rendered the cables virtually worthless but a) I don't plan on changing them b) I brought them (like most of my kit) second hand anyway. Now the cables don't touch the wall behind the rack :smt023

On the subject of valve for money, its very much down to the individual. As I have said, I buy most stuff second hand as there is no way I could afford the modest by most standards gear I have from new. I am also very aware that even at this level we are talking peanuts to the cost of some equipment on the market. There are, as I'm sure you are aware, manufactures out there who would consider a £5000 mains lead as bottom of the range.

Its relative to what the person feels good/OK with. Its not wrong, its just their opinion. Even if it is a ripoff :lol:

I do however remain clueless (as ever) to the cables origin as the green outer wire casing is marked up as Chord.
Well Keeled :smt020

red kite

Post by red kite » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:06 pm

I don't understand the direction this thread has gone in.

This thread is titled "Alternatives to Urika",
but the discussion has gone off on a meaningless tangent of Chord Company bashing rhetoric :g-scratch:

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Wasn't me (I don't think). Not bashing either. I like my Chord cables.

If the video is correct (I know Stu smelt a rat) I would have said the cable cost were quite justified as anything with a military or aerospace use is usually top quality.

Even the Cadenza has an outer nylon jacket, an outer casing, a metal weave, a further inner jacket, a foil wrap and the 2 casings around each metal wire that carries the signal. That is a good degree of screening for less than £300/m new. Those signal wires are tiny though. May be the equivalent of 2-3 cartridge tags at most.
Well Keeled :smt020

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

shellspeed wrote:Wasn't me (I don't think). Not bashing either. I like my Chord cables.

If the video is correct (I know Stu smelt a rat) I would have said the cable cost were quite justified as anything with a military or aerospace use is usually top quality.

Even the Cadenza has an outer nylon jacket, an outer casing, a metal weave, a further inner jacket, a foil wrap and the 2 casings around each metal wire that carries the signal. That is a good degree of screening for less than £300/m new. Those signal wires are tiny though. May be the equivalent of 2-3 cartridge tags at most.
I think that when you posted about the YouTube Chord Cable bit was when this thread went right off the rails. I can't see any relevance of that to this thread to be honest ..... :?

However it had started to deviate before that post to be honest. Jim and Stu don't believe in the Chord cables, which is fine by me, where as others, me included, have listened to demos at Peter's and decided that we do like them. I haven't looked at the You tube video as the overwhelming consensus is that the guy concerned is an idiot and therefore It is very likely that I will also think that. Maybe I have been 'duped' on the technicality front but what it won't do is change what I believe I heard at Peter's and still remain happy with today...... :smt023 .... Oh well I have just further contributed to the deviation and perhaps all these posts should be moved somewhere else ...... :D
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Jazz Club wrote:
Red Chris wrote:I'm afraid you've completely lost me now :?
That makes a change. :smt005
I would be grateful if you could elucidate please :smt023

I am intrigued to know what I am supposed to have been bashing. I am sure that it can't involve a member of the clergy :roll:

red kite

Post by red kite » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
shellspeed wrote:Wasn't me (I don't think). Not bashing either. I like my Chord cables.

I think that when you posted about the YouTube Chord Cable bit was when this thread went right off the rails. I can't see any relevance of that to this thread to be honest ..... :?

However it had started to deviate before that post to be honest. Jim and Stu don't believe in the Chord cables, which is fine by me, where as others, me included, have listened to demos at Peter's and decided that we do like them. I haven't looked at the You tube video as the overwhelming consensus is that the guy concerned is an idiot and therefore It is very likely that I will also think that. Maybe I have been 'duped' on the technicality front but what it won't do is change what I believe I heard at Peter's and still remain happy with today...... :smt023 .... Oh well I have just further contributed to the deviation and perhaps all these posts should be moved somewhere else ...... :D
I belive Stu is aware and can give credit of what Chord cables are capable of doing but i expect it's the "value for money" twang of the retail price what Stu don't believe in...
It's true they are very expensive, and it's a pity, wouldn't it be great if they cost a couple of hundred quid [for a full loom] and we could all buy them and get to dig those much improved musical vibes :g-hands:

After watching the youtube vid, i can't say it contains anything controversial or underhand with the company, and the only ominous mention is the purchase of wire supplies from America which could mean higher purchase prices very soon due to the weakness of the pound against the dollar [Brexit Tax] which in turn could cause The Chord Company to raise their prices!

An alternative to the Urika is a Naim Prefix, just ignore this sentence, i'm just trying to keep on topic :g-yep:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer