A Radikal Upgrade

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

evil_C

A Radikal Upgrade

Post by evil_C » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Last May, when I was at Cymbiosis having some upgrades installed on my LP12, Peter gave me a demo of the Klimax Radikal. This was an easy demonstration on my turntable, simply unplugging the Akurate box and switching to the Klimax. Now, given that the electronics are identical between the two, I was stunned by the audio improvement and decided there and then that that was to be my next upgrade. However, I wasn't expecting to have to make the change so soon, but when Peter advised that Linn was raising the prices by 8% or so, I had no choice other than to bring forward the date.

At the same time Peter also gave a demonstration of the Chord Super Sarum ARAY interconnect, although it wasn't a direct like-for-like comparison with only the interconnect changed, since my LP12 had the Tangerine Karmen top plate with Linn Silvers and the comparison deck had the standard top plate with the Chord SSA. It was an interesting demo, but not conclusive IMO owing, I'm sure, to the contribution of the Karmen.

Yesterday I took my LP12 to Cymbiosis to have the Klimax Radikal installed (all the Akurate RadiKal components were replaced - it wasn't just a case of swapping the power supplies over). But before completing the installation, I asked Peter if I could hear the Chord SSA demo again, but this time with just the one component changed. This was duly arranged with two Klimax standard decks, although both had Woodsong plinths, one with Linn Silvers, the other with Chord SSA. Obviously both were using Ekos SE tone arms, rather than Aros, but the only difference was the interconnect. Peter even changed the felt mat between the two to eliminate that variation too.

I asked to hear the Chord first then switching to the Silvers, as I often find it more revealing stepping down rather than up. We played 'Basin Street Blues' from Miles Davis's Seven Steps to Heaven album, a long time favourite of mine. Well the difference was clear. With the Chord cables there was more space between the instruments, the music appeared to be slower and more relaxed and less forced. Some people have said that the Chord cable sounds more realistic or more 'in the room' - it's always difficult to put these things into words, but I'd say that they're all right. The Chord SSA takes the listener a significant step closer to the musicians.

I then faced a dilemma. These cables are not cheap and I could buy a lot of records for that money. But you only live once! The photos below reveal how this dilemma was resolved.

I have now got it all installed at home and it sounds very good indeed. Unfortunately, however this new motor is rather noisy, which can be heard easily from the listening position, about 12' away. Funnily enough I never had this issue with the Akurate motor; maybe it'll improve with use. It's been rotating for the last 6 hours or so but there's no improvement so far.

FangfossFlyer

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:07 pm

I'd give Peter a call before the shop shuts as such a noisy motor just doesn't sound right.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:I'd give Peter a call before the shop shuts as such a noisy motor just doesn't sound right.

Richard
I have sent an email. I really hope it's something I can fix locally.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Clive,
Congrats on you're upgrades.
The one that rings interest for me is the Klimax Radikal.
I find myself confused with the post as you did your A/B dem just swapping boxes but for install everything was changed. :smt018
Now you say that the motor is more noisy if the motor was quiet before why upset the apple cart if it's not broke don't fix it.
Hope gets sorted soon perhaps a little oil down the top motor bearing already. :shock:
Klimax box looks superb I must say. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:Hi Clive,
Congrats on you're upgrades.
The one that rings interest for me is the Klimax Radikal.
I find myself confused with the post as you did your A/B dem just swapping boxes but for install everything was changed. :smt018
Now you say that the motor is more noisy if the motor was quiet before why upset the apple cart if it's not broke don't fix it.
Hope gets sorted soon perhaps a little oil down the top motor bearing already. :shock:
Klimax box looks superb I must say. 8) :smt023
To be honest I had thought that it would only involve changing the box, particularly given that the Akurate Radikal was only 12 months old. But Peter wanted to change it all to ensure I had a new warranty for it all, which is fair enough. I agree that the Klimax box looks superb, especially the black anodised finish.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 pm

evil_C wrote:Last May, when I was at Cymbiosis having some upgrades installed on my LP12, Peter gave me a demo of the Klimax Radikal. This was an easy demonstration on my turntable, simply unplugging the Akurate box and switching to the Klimax. Now, given that the electronics are identical between the two, I was stunned by the audio improvement and decided there and then that that was to be my next upgrade. However, I wasn't expecting to have to make the change so soon, but when Peter advised that Linn was raising the prices by 8% or so, I had no choice other than to bring forward the date.

I have now got it all installed at home and it sounds very good indeed. Unfortunately, however this new motor is rather noisy, which can be heard easily from the listening position, about 12' away. Funnily enough I never had this issue with the Akurate motor; maybe it'll improve with use. It's been rotating for the last 6 hours or so but there's no improvement so far.
Pity, the motor was quiet yesterday and nothing showed up on test. My only comment was how stunning your deck sounded with the Krystal.

Anyway, I have had the problem on a couple of occasions with new motors and as I said in my email to Clive earlier, the advice from Linn is to spin the motor in reverse! No lube must be added! I was somewhat skeptical at this advice from Jamie at Linn Service, but it worked :shock: So, we'll try this and monitor the situation. I will report our findings to Linn on Monday morning.

Worst case scenario, we will have to change the motor and I'll sort this ot with Clive in due course taking in a couple of other clients requirements in his area no doubt. As Coyote Jim found out a couple of months ago - I'll get things sorted.

Let me know how you get on please Clive.

Kind regards,

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:51 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:I'd give Peter a call before the shop shuts as such a noisy motor just doesn't sound right.

Richard
I went home early as I haven't had a weekend at home in the last month and needed to pull out some Marigolds as they were finished off by the frost! Nice day today but the forcast is for rain tomorrow, so no gardening! :(

Anyway, I still answer my emails wherever I am :smt023

KR

Peter

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm

evil_C wrote:
To be honest I had thought that it would only involve changing the box, particularly given that the Akurate Radikal was only 12 months old. But Peter wanted to change it all to ensure I had a new warranty for it all, which is fair enough. I agree that the Klimax box looks superb, especially the black anodised finish.
Could have! Certainly easier to do a box swap, but just trying to do the best thing and fit the new motor as you have brought it and this is the best way.
The motors are identical in spec, just one has the matching serial No for the Klimax, hence we fit it of course :roll:

KR

Peter

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Mr Fixit wrote: As Coyote Jim found out a couple of months ago - I'll get things sorted.
With Sherlock Swain on the case no stone is left unturned
image.jpeg
It'll all workout :smt020 8) :smt023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Mr Fixit wrote: As Coyote Jim found out a couple of months ago - I'll get things sorted.
With Sherlock Swain on the case no stone is left unturned :smt020 8) :smt023
It will and that's a bl**dy big rock Jim! :shock:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer