A Radikal Upgrade

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
Coyote Jim wrote:
Mr Fixit wrote: As Coyote Jim found out a couple of months ago - I'll get things sorted.
With Sherlock Swain on the case no stone is left unturned :smt020 8) :smt023
It will and that's a bl**dy big rock Jim! :shock:
image.jpeg
Rock size and distance no problem 8) :smt023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

red kite

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by red kite » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:42 pm

evil_C wrote:
I asked to hear the Chord first then switching to the Silvers, as I often find it more revealing stepping down rather than up. We played 'Basin Street Blues' from Miles Davis's Seven Steps to Heaven album, a long time favourite of mine. Well the difference was clear. With the Chord cables there was more space between the instruments, the music appeared to be slower and more relaxed and less forced. Some people have said that the Chord cable sounds more realistic or more 'in the room' - it's always difficult to put these things into words, but I'd say that they're all right. The Chord SSA takes the listener a significant step closer to the musicians.

Image
Clive, congrats on the KRad, hope the noisy motor issue gets sorted out okay soon.

Did you buy Chord SSA cables for your Urika?

After home demo'ing them on the CDS3 and amp i was shocked how much detail and realism the standard Naim cables hold back.
Likewise the Linn Silvers sound rather sad and lacking after the SSAs are in place.
I found the Chord cable demos delightfully easy to determine and back at home the Urika-SSAa resulted in one of my biggest audio upgrade WOW factors to date! :g-yep:

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Stretford End Lower

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:09 am

Clive - hope that you get the motor noise issue resolved. When I changed to the KRad the motor was noticeably different from the old one it replaced.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by evil_C » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:25 am

red kite wrote:
evil_C wrote:
I asked to hear the Chord first then switching to the Silvers, as I often find it more revealing stepping down rather than up. We played 'Basin Street Blues' from Miles Davis's Seven Steps to Heaven album, a long time favourite of mine. Well the difference was clear. With the Chord cables there was more space between the instruments, the music appeared to be slower and more relaxed and less forced. Some people have said that the Chord cable sounds more realistic or more 'in the room' - it's always difficult to put these things into words, but I'd say that they're all right. The Chord SSA takes the listener a significant step closer to the musicians.

Image
Clive, congrats on the KRad, hope the noisy motor issue gets sorted out okay soon.

Did you buy Chord SSA cables for your Urika?

After home demo'ing them on the CDS3 and amp i was shocked how much detail and realism the standard Naim cables hold back.
Likewise the Linn Silvers sound rather sad and lacking after the SSAs are in place.
I found the Chord cable demos delightfully easy to determine and back at home the Urika-SSAa resulted in one of my biggest audio upgrade WOW factors to date! :g-yep:
Yes, Debs, I did go for the Chord SSA. That was a photo of my Urika, which I thought was a bit of a giveaway! Interestingly, "Wow!" was precisely what I said when we listened to 'Money' by Pink Floyd from a brand new copy of the recent reissued version of DSOTM which Peter had just acquired. This was the first track played on my newly finished turntable. I would have loved to have listened to more, but I wanted to get some miles in before it got dark.

First track played at home was 'Golf Girl', first track, side one of Caravan's 'In the Land Of Grey and Pink' album. Brilliant! It was just like it was the first time I'd heard it.

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Stretford End Lower

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:59 am

evil_C wrote:Yes, Debs, I did go for the Chord SSA
Clive - that old fruit box of yours is reaching legendary status :smt023 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by evil_C » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Red Chris wrote:
evil_C wrote:Yes, Debs, I did go for the Chord SSA
Clive - that old fruit box of yours is reaching legendary status :smt023 8)
Indeed it is, Chris. It's Cymbiosis signature no. 67 with wenge Woodsong plinth, Tangerine Karmen, Keel/A, Aro, Krystal, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Chord SSA (and a noisy motor - grrr!). Let's hope it doesn't become legendary because of this motor. I have tried spinning the motor in reverse for a couple of minutes as suggested by Peter, but it's no better. I have faith that Mr Fixit will be able to, well, fix it!

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Stretford End Lower

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm sure that you will be fine :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

User avatar
Mr Fixit
Trade Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 am

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Motor ordered today. I hope to see it this week and then any possible repetition of this for Clive, I will bench test it for a good long while until I have an installation window in my diary.

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com
Skype: peteratcymbiosis

User avatar
Mr Fixit
Trade Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 am

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Mr Fixit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:47 am

The replacement motor arrived yesterday and has been running silently in my workshop for the past 24 hours.

I'll let it run a while longer whilst I figure out when I can make the run down the Fosse Way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosse_Way to meet up with Clive's errant motor!

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com
Skype: peteratcymbiosis

User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by evil_C » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:The replacement motor arrived yesterday and has been running silently in my workshop for the past 24 hours.

I'll let it run a while longer whilst I figure out when I can make the run down the Fosse Way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosse_Way to meet up with Clive's errant motor!

KR

Peter
Hi Peter, please be assured that it's looking forward to meeting up with you too.
The Fosse Way looks a lot straighter on that map than it does when driving it! Could be an opportunity for you to have some fun with the Volvo.
Regards,
Clive

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer