Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am

Red Chris wrote:What's a bus? :wink:
image.jpeg
This stuck in reverse. :smt005
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Red Chris

A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

so similar to .......

[ external image ]
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I’m pleased to report that my LP12 is now back in action with a silent motor!

If we had planned any other day over the last couple of weeks, I think Peter would have enjoyed a fun ride on the Fosse Way under clear winter skies. Instead, today he encountered fog and drizzle and two road closures.

He set up his jig on an area of kitchen work surface and mounted my LP12 with the Radikal alongside. Funnily enough it didn’t seem quite as noisy in the jig as it had in my set up, but it was still loud enough to be heard above the refrigerator which decided to start up at the same time. It wasn’t a constant noise, but one which I can only describe as an irregular ‘chattering’.

Peter had brought two motors with him: the new motor which he’d been running in over much of the last week at the shop and my former Akurate Radikal motor, which had always been silent in operation. Interestingly, Linn had provided a new serial number sticker for the motor so that it was still assigned to the new Radikal. The new motor was installed and proved to be silent in the rig.

Peter completed the build and the turntable and Radikal were reintroduced to their respective positions on the Fraim rack – it’s a real challenge feeding the Urika plug round the back of the Fraim then plugging it into the Radikal prior to sliding it into the Fraim (without dislodging the glass shelf and balls) and then lifting the turntable onto the top shelf without touching either the Fraim or the left speaker cabinet. A few minor adjustments and then we fired it up and… Silence!

Peter selected an album to play (Pink Floyd’s ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’) and cranked up the volume. I have always thought this to be quite a poorly recorded, rather ' flat’ sounding album, but how wrong I was.

Shortly after that Peter packed up his tools and headed off home – this time by a different route.

This afternoon I played a couple of other albums just to hear what it could do. I chose a couple which exhibit outstanding SQ (IMHO) – Van Morrison’s ‘Avalon Sunset’ and Sinead O’Connor’s ‘Am I Not Your Girl’. I had to stop whatever else I was doing just to listen.

It’s a pleasure and relief to be able to listen to LPs without listening for the motor noise between tracks and now I am really looking forward to enjoying the benefits that the K-Rad and Chord SSA bring.

Many thanks to Mr Fixit for going the extra mile to deliver exceptional customer service and, well, fixing it :smt023

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Good to hear you are back up and running Clive, and at last hearing what a Klimax Radical and the Sarum cable combo can bring ..... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

A Radikal Upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Excellent news Clive - have fun :smt023 #Legendary
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Clive,
Well pleased that's all sorted and going great now, :smt020
A little hiccup sometimes makes the result even better Peters diligent investigations and unrelenting process of elimination gets the job done. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 am

I hope Mr Fixit gets his fuel bill (and time) repaid by HQ as this was a Linn issue.

Good job his replacement of parts has been UK limited given the miles he does cover.

Anyway, glad the deck is all ok again. :smt023
Well Keeled :smt020

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 am

evil_C wrote:
Many thanks to Mr Fixit for going the extra mile to deliver exceptional customer service and, well, fixing it :smt023
You are most welcome and I'm glad I was able to get you all sorted out within a reasonable time frame too. As usual, it's just a case of seeing when I have enough of a time window without bookings back here in Rearsby.

Enjoy!

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 pm

shellspeed wrote:I hope Mr Fixit gets his fuel bill (and time) repaid by HQ as this was a Linn issue.

Good job his replacement of parts has been UK limited given the miles he does cover.

Anyway, glad the deck is all ok again. :smt023
Thanks for your thoughts and no I don't get any help other than free shipping to me of the replacement motor and hopefully a free collection too. It's all part of being a retailer. It's not just Linn. Naim, Rega, Roksan etc. etc are the same. Indeed if a product is older than one month, then I pay for shipping of warranty returns to manufacturers too. That's the way it is and it's the responsibility of the retailer. Just like it's my responsibility to you guys to ensure any problems are rectified effectively should they arise. All in a day's work.... Thankfully for all of us, they are pretty rare events.

Yes, I do cover some miles, that's true and if I'm prepared to sell something, wherever it is, then I must be prepared to back the sale up with a good back-up service too. This is known and is why I don't get any hassle from suppliers for my foreign installations, this is precisely because I do install where there are no local retailers, or the locals cannot be bothered to help. Indeed, I occasionally get approaches for manufacturers directly to help out where the need arises with a client! So it's not all one-way traffic so to speak :)

Anyway, and for your amusement... I cleaned her on Sunday!
[ external image ]
Out with the pressure washser this evening I think!

As EvilC said above, fog, drizzle, a couple of road closures resulting in fairly big diversions from the Fosse Way, meant that for the return journey I went via the M4 then via Swindon and Oxford on the way home to Leicester. It was a bit faster but not so enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Peter
Last edited by Mr Fixit on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

The Kaptain
Site Admin

Post by The Kaptain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:59 am

ADMIN NOTE:-

Off topic content moved into the Pub
The man with the big stick

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer