Nima nut

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Gromit

Nima nut

Post by Gromit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:41 am

My Nima is now well and truly 'settled-in' and sounding superb, and in all honesty I haven't listened to so much vinyl in ages, therefore one could say I'm a happy camper. :smt023

Quick question though...

I noticed earlier today that the arm was no longer perfectly parallel to the edge of the board/plinth - only slightly out but visible all the same. So, I popped the outer platter off, chocked the inner and put the arm up into 'transport' position. The arm was actually quite loose - first thought was that the VTA grub screw wasn't tight but it seemed ok (and VTA is still spot-on). I then noticed, on moving the arm base very gently, that the arm's mounting collar was the culprit.

So...

Stripped the deck down as far as removing the armboard (and tonearm from that) so I could get a 32mm socket on the nut, duly tightenening it back up. Everything's gone back together fine (thank heavens!) but I was wondering exactly how tight that large nut should be? I know from experience of the Rega arms that they prefer to be done up 'just' tight (ie hand tight) but as the Nima uses a similar collar/grub screw set-up to Linn, that nut should be nice and snug - ie done up with a spanner (within reason of course!). I've nipped the armboard screws up to the point were some resistance is felt in the screwdriver.

Thanks for any help. :)

2 obs though...

1. It's a shame Roksan don't utilise the Rega 3-point holes to allow the collar to be securely fastened to the armboard by way of 3 bolts from underneath.

2. The VTA grub screw looks really weedy.
Afro LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL/Dynavector P75/Cyrus 8vs-PSX-R/Royd Sintra II...oh, and some digital thingy.

Jazz Club

Re: Nima nut

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 am

Someone on here had the same problem a few months back .

Gromit

Post by Gromit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 am

Jazz Club wrote:Someone on here had the same problem a few months back .
Although slightly frustrating for those Nima owners who've experienced this, it's good to know mine isn't a one-off. I've done a forum search but nothing's come up as yet.

The Roksan instructions aren't bad, but say nothing re tightening, apart from 'use the 1.5mm hex key as a lever when tightening the large nut'.
Afro LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL/Dynavector P75/Cyrus 8vs-PSX-R/Royd Sintra II...oh, and some digital thingy.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:20 am

I think it was ray davis on here that had his come loose after a dealer fit.

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

Hi all my issue was the pivot screw on the arm.it seemed to ride ip over time. This was really easy to resolve get the arm hieght correct parallel. A small drop of clear nail varnish on top sorted the issue. Never had a problem since.

to the first problem when peter fitted the arm he really tightened it up.. then he used a small piece of ail varnish to seal the joint. That simple never came loose or any issues at all.

only time arm needed sny alteration was when i had new platter fitted and skale.

since then deck has got better and better.

Gromit

Post by Gromit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks for chipping in, Ray - that clears things up nicely. :)

I just put the 32mm socket over the nut and tightened it by hand. Not overly tight, but it shouldn't come undone. Actually, the nut on mine hadn't moved (as with yours, Peter used the nail varnish on the nut) as it needed a quick tweak to break the hold of the varnish - the arm's mounting collar had come loose from the nut if that makes sense.

Will leave things as they are for now, hopefully it's settled.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

Gromit wrote:Thanks for chipping in, Ray - that clears things up nicely. :)

I just put the 32mm socket over the nut and tightened it by hand. Not overly tight, but it shouldn't come undone. Actually, the nut on mine hadn't moved (as with yours, Peter used the nail varnish on the nut) as it needed a quick tweak to break the hold of the varnish - the arm's mounting collar had come loose from the nut if that makes sense.

Will leave things as they are for now, hopefully it's settled.
You are right, it's shouldn't come loose at all as I lean on it with a Rega (substantial spanner) and then yes I now use a little nail varnish to ensure the nut does not move as you have seen. This is because a couple of months ago I did have a client who's Nima arm locking nut had moved, so I implemented this as you observed on the nut as a second safeguard against the issue. I'll certainly be very interested to see the deck on Thursday when you pop in so as I can work out exactly what has gone on. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Gromit

Post by Gromit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 pm

No dramas, Peter.

After our phone chat earlier I did end up quickly popping the armboard off and tightening the large nut and board screws. Sounds better than last night after I'd put it back together. :smt020

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 pm

That's good, but it shouldn't have come loose in the first place!

Here's a pic of my Rega spanner as per our discussion earlier and looking forward to taking a good look on Thursday for you.

KR

Peter

[ external image ]
Yes, it's seen some service! :)
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Now THATS what I call a spanner
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer