The Kaptain
Site Admin

Re: Tigerpaw Tranquility

Post by The Kaptain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 am

Red Chris wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:45 am
YNWaN wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am
Is it not allowed to refer to other forums because such cryptic terminology is quite confusing?
Well it certainly confused Richard on this occasion :smt002

I suspect that it started from not being supposed to refer to the Linn Forum on the Naim Forum and developed from that - but happy to be corrected if wrong :D

Yes, that is correct Chris.

There is no problem with mentioning other fora on the HiFi Kabin though, as long as there is no contravention of bullet point 6 in the rules app.php/Rules#rules
The man with the big stick

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 am

evil_C wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:01 pm
FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:52 pm
Interesting post #619 in the Green Place under Tiger Paw Tranquility.

Richard

I think you meant Colin Masey's post in the blue place. Very interesting indeed. There is obviously some production variation (there always is; it's a fact of life), so that might explain it, as has been speculated there. Actually, it may have been Roger from TP who suggested it. It will be interesting to see how it is resolved.

Hello chaps, not been around for a few days so missed this earlier. I just want to clarify something here. The Tranq that Colin has in his demo deck is the one I borrowed for a few days. It's not the Tranq that's the problem! It worked beautifully on my deck at home and on the strength of that, I ordered one for myself.

I struggled to hear what it was doing in Colin's dem room though as he has now posted on another website.

:smt017
Well Keeled :smt020

vincent

Post by vincent » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

shellspeed wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 am
evil_C wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:01 pm
FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:52 pm
Interesting post #619 in the Green Place under Tiger Paw Tranquility.

Richard

I think you meant Colin Masey's post in the blue place. Very interesting indeed. There is obviously some production variation (there always is; it's a fact of life), so that might explain it, as has been speculated there. Actually, it may have been Roger from TP who suggested it. It will be interesting to see how it is resolved.

Hello chaps, not been around for a few days so missed this earlier. I just want to clarify something here. The Tranq that Colin has in his demo deck is the one I borrowed for a few days. It's not the Tranq that's the problem! It worked beautifully on my deck at home and on the strength of that, I ordered one for myself.

I struggled to hear what it was doing in Colin's dem room though as he has now posted on another website.

:smt017

This confirms what I already thought - that the explanation for the universally negative results at WYS&H was most likely to do with the shop dem room, the dem system, or both.

YNWaN

Post by YNWaN » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you all for the clarification :smt023.
100% Analogue

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 pm

*** Warning: Long Posting ***

My findings so far on the Tranquility after a home dem and then a week’s elapse before a home loan over the long Easter weekend.

On my home dem my dealer came and after a listening session of mainly The Beatles (Abbey Road), John Martyn (Church With One Bell) and Neil Young (Harvest) and a slight adjustment to the tracking weight I felt the system sounded excellent and I think my dealer was happy as well. So, we fitted the Tranquility and sat back. It was obvious straight away that it was different with a lot clearer separation of instruments and the vocals were a real joy and upfront in the presentation. It was good, in fact very good and presented a more ‘warmer’ almost valve like sound (I had recently been listening to a valve system elsewhere). The base was tighter although I was not sure if it was too dry and maybe lost something but the cymbals and their decay was stunning. In summary, I said it was certainly different and I sought of like it!

When we switched back I was instantly hit by a different sound stage that whilst not as clear and positioned perhaps it was full of swing, boogie, that feeling of a live band with a full base. A few A-Bs and I came to the view that both are excellent and I said that I would have to live with the Tranquility before I knew whether I wanted to give up my existing sound… typical me! I also wanted to hear some full on live rock recordings and some deep reggae as well as some gentle female vocals, Jazz 50’s/60’s LPs and some orchestral music.

A telling observation was from my wife who had been remotely listening to us all afternoon and came in for a blind A-B test for which she felt she preferred The Beatles with the Tranquility as it had more about it, was more harmonic with a fuller sound and that she preferred the vocal of John and Paul. But she preferred John Martyn without is as it sounded more like John (we have seen him many a time) and had that real live sound. Then she said ”…well, it all depends what you are looking for in your system”. I felt that expressed it all very well!

Anyway, the Tranquility went back with my dealer but there was a sound still resonating in me that I liked and wanted to explore sooner rather than latter. So, I borrowed if for the long Easter weekend. I spent Thursday evening, Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday listening to it without an A-B at all with the intention to live with it to get its sound and feel before seeing if I missed it when I took it off.

I played a range of my LPs from Hendrix (boy his guitar on Little Wing then Red House – Hendrix In The West, was just so there man!), Neil Young (acoustic and full on with Crazy Horse), Tom Petty, Kevin Ayers, Bob Marley, U-Roy, Steel Pulse, Third World, The Beatles, Moody Blues, John Martyn, Carol King, James Taylor, Joan Armatrading & Pam Nestor, Youngbloods, Ben Webster, Louis Armstong, Hank Mobley, Dylan, Steve Winwood, Traffic, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Cpt. Beefheart, Free, The Who etc. etc, (guess what era I come from!)

I loved it all apart from one Steve Winwood LP (Arc Of A Diver) which really puzzled me. But my wife observed that whilst you could hear all the instruments and it was like Steve was in the room with us (we have also seen Steve many times) it was all very well positioned but it missed a certain rhythm and flow. I thought, I wonder if this is because Steve plays most of the instrumental and mixed them together and as a result it lost that band together sound?

After an enjoyable 3 days and some great music with the Tranquility, I reverted back during listening to some Tom Petty (Damn The Torpedoes and Wild Flowers) and guess what… without it the system still sounded wonderful. It missed some of the details, positioning, clarity and vocals tended to be set back but that live swing, groove and presence was there in spades!

So, I intend to listen tonight and tomorrow without it and then refit for one last session on Monday afternoon/evening before returning it on Tuesday.

What I can say is that it is a really good product, I like it and it certainly gives a great insight into the music. But my existing system still sounds mighty fine without and just flows along with that real live sound/vibe that I have been building over the decades.

I am now listening without it to Neil Young’s Time Fades Away which sounded absolutely stunning with the Tranquility in a way that made me think this is the killer track and that I would buy it! But then without it it still sounds superb and may just have it in terms of excitement (get up and play that air guitar with Neil and the band!). Another example is prior to this I played The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past which I have not heard for years (maybe 10’s of years) and it sounded great with the Tranquility and flowed nicely esp. the orchestral bits but now without the Tranquility it just moves rhythmically along and everything is together as the story beautifully unfolds with emotion.

So, my plan is to have one of my regular services and checks on my deck and then live with it a bit longer before I borrow the Tranquility again as it certainly has something, if not everything, that touched my soul!

But Neil’s’ – Last Dance is sounding mighty fine right now without it as did Borrowed Tune from Tonight’s The Night.

Richard

p.s. As I said… typical me! 😊
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Red Chris

Tiger-paw Tranquility

Post by Red Chris » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 am

Well I have to confess that I adore my Tranquility - partly because I had forgotten about it as everything sounds so good 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 pm

I am not saying that the Tranquility did not give me that live feeling, it definitely was engaging and I liked it even though I hesitated!

Neil Young’s Time Fades Away sounded absolutely stunning and nearly made me buy it there and then but something made me hesitate. As when I reverted back to without it my system was still superb (for me), different (not necessarily better or worse) but in some ways I did not want to risk upsetting the synergy and sound I have built up over the years. So, I thought I would wait until after my next service and revisit.

For me, there is a definite sound and direction I am going in which sometimes does not seem to be the current flavour or Hi-Fi trend but it is what I am after. I first caught glimpse of it at my first audition of Linn-Naim at Griffin Audio (Birmingham) back in the 1980’s and thereafter building it with the help of The Sound Org (York) over the last, nearly, 25 years.

As perhaps Peter hinted there are times I am not sure on an ‘upgrade’ and go “toing and froing” as I decide, for example on the Naim Suplerline loading plugs (560R v 576R). There has also been times when I instantly know something is right for me when I hear it, even after the first few seconds. For example, the Lingo 2, Radikal and Kandid from Linn, Naim’s NAC552, Superline and DR upgrades, along with B&Ws 802Ds and 802D2s, Chord Music DIN-XLRs and, yes, Tiger Paw’s sKale (my only 3rd party product on my LP12).

I often refer to this as “ploughing my own furrow”, avoiding the "initial product launch euphoria" and not “following the flock”.

Now playing Peter Gabriel’s Scratch My Back and it sounds so full, emotional and engaging (my words) and, as I indicated in my earlier post, I will refit the Tranquility latter today, before returning it, and I will revisit this LP.

So, for me it sometimes takes time.
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Richard, How have you avoided any oil loss or bearing contamination when you've been switching in and out during A/B comparisons? And how do you know that you've optimised the height of the lower magnets? I'm not trying to be critical in any way, just wondering if I dare try a home demo myself :?

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi Richard,
Nice you're giving it a fair crack. :smt079
If I have to try and convince myself then it's not happening. :smt018
If it isn't obvious then I'm pretty sure the too and fro isn't worth the hassle and takes away from enjoyment.
Obviously the best way to decide is in your own environment and avoiding lots of variables.
Not everybody hears or interacts the same way. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi,

My dealer optimised the height of the lower magnet but it is very easy to do so do not be too concerned.

If TigerPaw is reading this the one page A4 instruction guide is OK once you have done it once or seen your dealer do it but an online video clip would be worth a thousand words.

Oil loss was very very minimal and once again nothing concerning.

I marked my inner and outer platter with two sticky dots such that I always had the two plates exactly aligned the same for all comparisons.

As regards A:B comparisons I am not great fan so I probably only swapped half a dozen times over the long week end (and one more time very soon once Peter Gabriel has finished!).

Richard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer