Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

dan steel

Re: Tigerpaw Tranquility

Post by dan steel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 pm
*** Warning: Long Posting ***

My findings so far on the Tranquility after a home dem and then a week’s elapse before a home loan over the long Easter weekend.

On my home dem my dealer came and after a listening session of mainly The Beatles (Abbey Road), John Martyn (Church With One Bell) and Neil Young (Harvest) and a slight adjustment to the tracking weight I felt the system sounded excellent and I think my dealer was happy as well. So, we fitted the Tranquility and sat back. It was obvious straight away that it was different with a lot clearer separation of instruments and the vocals were a real joy and upfront in the presentation. It was good, in fact very good and presented a more ‘warmer’ almost valve like sound (I had recently been listening to a valve system elsewhere). The base was tighter although I was not sure if it was too dry and maybe lost something but the cymbals and their decay was stunning. In summary, I said it was certainly different and I sought of like it!

When we switched back I was instantly hit by a different sound stage that whilst not as clear and positioned perhaps it was full of swing, boogie, that feeling of a live band with a full base. A few A-Bs and I came to the view that both are excellent and I said that I would have to live with the Tranquility before I knew whether I wanted to give up my existing sound… typical me! I also wanted to hear some full on live rock recordings and some deep reggae as well as some gentle female vocals, Jazz 50’s/60’s LPs and some orchestral music.

A telling observation was from my wife who had been remotely listening to us all afternoon and came in for a blind A-B test for which she felt she preferred The Beatles with the Tranquility as it had more about it, was more harmonic with a fuller sound and that she preferred the vocal of John and Paul. But she preferred John Martyn without is as it sounded more like John (we have seen him many a time) and had that real live sound. Then she said ”…well, it all depends what you are looking for in your system”. I felt that expressed it all very well!

Anyway, the Tranquility went back with my dealer but there was a sound still resonating in me that I liked and wanted to explore sooner rather than latter. So, I borrowed if for the long Easter weekend. I spent Thursday evening, Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday listening to it without an A-B at all with the intention to live with it to get its sound and feel before seeing if I missed it when I took it off.

I played a range of my LPs from Hendrix (boy his guitar on Little Wing then Red House – Hendrix In The West, was just so there man!), Neil Young (acoustic and full on with Crazy Horse), Tom Petty, Kevin Ayers, Bob Marley, U-Roy, Steel Pulse, Third World, The Beatles, Moody Blues, John Martyn, Carol King, James Taylor, Joan Armatrading & Pam Nestor, Youngbloods, Ben Webster, Louis Armstong, Hank Mobley, Dylan, Steve Winwood, Traffic, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Cpt. Beefheart, Free, The Who etc. etc, (guess what era I come from!)

I loved it all apart from one Steve Winwood LP (Arc Of A Diver) which really puzzled me. But my wife observed that whilst you could hear all the instruments and it was like Steve was in the room with us (we have also seen Steve many times) it was all very well positioned but it missed a certain rhythm and flow. I thought, I wonder if this is because Steve plays most of the instrumental and mixed them together and as a result it lost that band together sound?

After an enjoyable 3 days and some great music with the Tranquility, I reverted back during listening to some Tom Petty (Damn The Torpedoes and Wild Flowers) and guess what… without it the system still sounded wonderful. It missed some of the details, positioning, clarity and vocals tended to be set back but that live swing, groove and presence was there in spades!

So, I intend to listen tonight and tomorrow without it and then refit for one last session on Monday afternoon/evening before returning it on Tuesday.

What I can say is that it is a really good product, I like it and it certainly gives a great insight into the music. But my existing system still sounds mighty fine without and just flows along with that real live sound/vibe that I have been building over the decades.

I am now listening without it to Neil Young’s Time Fades Away which sounded absolutely stunning with the Tranquility in a way that made me think this is the killer track and that I would buy it! But then without it it still sounds superb and may just have it in terms of excitement (get up and play that air guitar with Neil and the band!). Another example is prior to this I played The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past which I have not heard for years (maybe 10’s of years) and it sounded great with the Tranquility and flowed nicely esp. the orchestral bits but now without the Tranquility it just moves rhythmically along and everything is together as the story beautifully unfolds with emotion.

So, my plan is to have one of my regular services and checks on my deck and then live with it a bit longer before I borrow the Tranquility again as it certainly has something, if not everything, that touched my soul!

But Neil’s’ – Last Dance is sounding mighty fine right now without it as did Borrowed Tune from Tonight’s The Night.

Richard

p.s. As I said… typical me! 😊

What a polite way of saying it's a load of 💩
music is my religion....
Jimi Hendrix

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 pm
What I can say is that it is a really good product, I like it and it certainly gives a great insight into the music.
Thanks Richard - it is particualrly useful to have such a well considered analysis. I suspect that it does simply relate to preferences in presentation.

Can I ask whether you has listened to any music that you were not already familiar with during the time with the Tranquility?

Chris
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Not really apart from this afternoon I listened to a new I Roy album called Heavier Than Lead (on Kingston Sounds)that arrived from Amazon. Not the best pressing but sounded fine with and without but without it had some real sonic base (which I love and remember from my days in Handsworth, Birmingham, way back when) which is probably too much for many but there again with the Tranquility it had clearer vocals with less splashy and better symbols.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

dan steel

Post by dan steel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Why would you want listen to stuff you don't usually listen too.?
Is the Tranquility instantly going to make shite sound enjoyable :smt009 :smt017 :smt018
music is my religion....
Jimi Hendrix

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm

HI Dan,

In fairness to Chris, when I go to shop dems I sometimes ask to listen to LPs I have never heard as then I have no preset view of what I am listening to such that on a comparative dem I can get a view of the change and if it really sounds better. Also, at home I may dig out an LP I have not played for years such as, in my case this weekend, The Moody Blues and Days Of Futures Past.

All the best,

RIchard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Richard, point taken about the installation instructions - they are now two pages, and at some point in the near future I will get a short video up about how to carry out a good installation.

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Roger,

Whilst it is easy to fit and adjust a video clip would be really be good and reassuring.

All the best,

Richard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Wenge1

Post by Wenge1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm
HI Dan,

In fairness to Chris, when I go to shop dems I sometimes ask to listen to LPs I have never heard as then I have no preset view of what I am listening to such that on a comparative dem I can get a view of the change and if it really sounds better. Also, at home I may dig out an LP I have not played for years such as, in my case this weekend, The Moody Blues and Days Of Futures Past.

All the best,

RIchard

Hi Richard,

Having caught up with all your Tranquility posts, it seems to me that your unsure as to whether it is for you. Nothing wrong with that but under those circumstances I'm not sure why you would consider parting with your £400 .......... :smt017

When I have not been sure I don't buy. After all, you really like your deck as it is ............. :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:08 am

Just to be clear and for the avoidance of doubt:

- I did find it easy to fit and had no issue but I thought a video would be useful esp. to someone who was concerned and asked me about it;
- There was no issue with my dealer or me fitting it to get the best out of it;
- I have every confidence and trust in my dealer of nearly 25 years;
- I may be an analogue dinosaur but this is the 21st century and there are more formats than just paper to communicate with these days such as an internet link with a video clip;
- The fact that I fitted and refitted it 6 times (Thursday = on-off-on and Sunday = off-on-off) was nothing to do with any difficulty in fitting or adjusting it.

All the best to and yours,

Richard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

greentrumpet

Post by greentrumpet » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:18 pm

IMG_0992.JPG
Spent a cracking day at Peters yesterday, originally to change Kore to Keel, but thought it'd be good to hear the Tranquility, took all of about 30 seconds once everything was up to temperature. Then had a listen to the Sarum T, gulp, ah well while it's all in bits!
As always it was great to watch Peter paying close attention to every detail to get everything just right while I could sit and enjoy some tunes and nice coffee.
Deck all levelled up at home now and sounding the best it's ever done. I'm amazed how much more I'm hearing from the briks 30 years old and still take some beating. The Tranquility is a great piece of kit, thanks to Roger for producing it and to Peter for supporting this fine product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer