guidance on upgrade

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

ray davis

guidance on upgrade

Post by ray davis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Hopefully all going well i will have a few quid to chuck at the deck soon. I am at kore khan nima prefix cirkus nima dynavektor lingo 3. What can i do with between 3 and 4 k

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: guidance on upgrade

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm

ray davis wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 pm
Hopefully all going well i will have a few quid to chuck at the deck soon. I am at kore khan nima prefix cirkus nima dynavektor lingo 3. What can i do with between 3 and 4 k
Hi Ray,
Easy answer really for the proper upgrade path is to Radikally upgrade.
It's a major upgrade and well within the budget.
It's a whole new powerhouse to the deck and does away with many of the fiddly and temperamental adjustments of the old motor setup.
Biggest bang for buck guaranteed. 8) :smt023
Oh and a few bob left over for albums. :smt036
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm

A starter for 10 for you Ray:

Radikal £3000 + Keel £2,660 = £5,660

Lingo 3 £1,320 + Kore £800 = £2,120

Difference = £ 3,440

Obviously you won't get full retail cost for p/x for your Lingo and Kore but if you lucky they might yield enough to sneak you in just under £4,000

Which ever way you go, the Radikal is such an obvious point to start your upgrade that it really is a no brainer ....... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Based on the positive comments from many people, it would also be worth considering the TP Tranquility.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Ray,
I was going to suggest a Tranquility but Steven got there first. :smt023
I've not heard of anyone using a Nima on a Keeled deck.
It would require a rega cut Keel so if you have plans in the future to change the Nima it might be better to make that move sooner rather than later.
PS,
Im sure Chris wouldn't mind you popping round his when Peter is down there next month to install his Fraim and let you have a listen to the Tranquility and have a chat about your future options. :smt023

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Jazz Club wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:15 pm
Ray,
I was going to suggest a Tranquility but Steven got there first. :smt023
I've not heard of anyone using a Nima on a Keeled deck.
It would require a rega cut Keel so if you have plans in the future to change the Nima it might be better to make that move sooner rather than later.
PS,
Im sure Chris wouldn't mind you popping round his when Peter is down there next month to install his Fraim and let you have a listen to the Tranquility and have a chat about your future options. :smt023
Hoping to gate crash this day. Have messaged peter about tranquillity.

Radikal seems a bit of a no brainer.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Ray,
If you don't mind Pre-loved kit to keep costs down ?
Peter quite often gets Radikals traded in against the more expensive Klimax Radikals so if your not in a rush its worth getting your name down on his wanted list for one. :smt023

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Depends on how long the list is.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:10 pm

ray davis wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:50 pm
Depends on how long the list is.
Ask Wayne? He will know. :smt023

Red Chris

Guidance on upgrade

Post by Red Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Ray

It would be worth getting on the waiting list for a pre-loved Radikal at Cymbiosis.

If you find something else in the meantime then that would be fine. If you don't then you're not committed to buy when one comes up but you pretty much get first refusal when it's your turn.

I would be very surprised if a Tranquility were not a must have upgrade based on comments to date - but hopefully we can find out soon.

Stu is right about carefully considering the arm choice with a potential Keel in mind. As much as I love my Aro I think that if I didn't already have one I would have to aim for an Ekos SE now - perhaps moving to a Keel/Ekos 2 as an interim measure - so that's another Cymbiosis waiting list possibility 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer