guidance on upgrade

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Simon P
Trade Member

Re: guidance on upgrade

Post by Simon P » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Radikal and possibly Tranquility would seem sensible but have a listen to the many options available at Cymbiosis and don't forget that Lingo, Kore or whatever you change also has a value too.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Ray,
Its also always worth asking Peter if he has any Xdem Radikal's ?
Hes always rotating things around in his many shop decks. :smt023

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 pm

ray davis wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 pm
What can i do with between 3 and 4 k
You might want to start with some pre-loved Hutter - only one dodgy owner allegedly :wink:
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 pm
ray davis wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 pm
What can i do with between 3 and 4 k
You might want to start with some pre-loved Hutter - only one dodgy owner allegedly :wink:
A one Doggy owner :smt036

evil_C

Re: Guidance on upgrade

Post by evil_C » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Stu is right about carefully considering the arm choice with a potential Keel in mind. As much as I love my Aro I think that if I didn't already have one I would have to aim for an Ekos SE now - perhaps moving to a Keel/Ekos 2 as an interim measure - so that's another Cymbiosis waiting list possibility 8)
I realise that statement is conditional ("If I didn't already have one..."), but I can't believe Chris would ever consider settling for second best :roll: . Besides, Ray is already used to a unipivot arm. I see secondhand Aros on a famous auction site selling for about £1,500 or so and, if you can still find one, new in unopened box Aros go for between £2,500 to £3,000, still less than the price of an Ekos SE, but (IMHO) sooooo much better :smt023 . And I think Peter may still be able to supply a new Keel/As as well as most spare parts from alternative suppliers.

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm

I shallbe at chris s house hopefully for his new install. I have 8 podium racks to flog on. My problem is uneven floors due to a fireplace being removed,. As you know i use a 202 200, and want to avoid an imbalance. Radikal is a no brainer. I have a lingo 3 to chop in to a deal. As mentioned nima keel sounds quite interesting. Its a big outlay for a 550 quid arm. The results i have no idea. I took advice from all corners last time and Peters and ended upwith a great result.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 pm

Ray,
Sauce first is always the way to go but a Nac 282 would be a very good move for the better. :smt023

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 am

Clive - it pained me to write it but I was trying to be pragmatic. You make a good point if an Aro can be sourced and there is a Keel/a available still, but buying both and a Radikal first would be costly. Ray's got a really good spec LP12 already 8)
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:28 am

Red Chris wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 am
Clive - it pained me to write it but I was trying to be pragmatic. You make a good point if an Aro can be sourced and there is a Keel/a available still, but buying both and a Radikal first would be costly. Ray's got a really good spec LP12 already 8)
Chris ,
You were spot on mate :smt023
ARO's in a unopened boxes for sale on a well known auction site.
Thats the best laugh i've had since Clive asked Graham if his RCM was any good at cleaning warped records.. :roll:

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 am

Jazz Club wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 pm
Ray,
Sauce first is always the way to go but a Nac 282 would be a very good move for the better. :smt023
HP or Heinz? Either way, Stu certainly has some weird ideas about record cleaning.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer