Akito 3 vs Ekos 1/2

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Pediatrik

Akito 3 vs Ekos 1/2

Post by Pediatrik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Unfortunately it is rare that a preloved Ekos 1, 1.5 or 2 is available in Sweden. Since I recently was offered an exdem Akito 3 at approximately the same price as the Ekos 2, I wonder what your thoughts are on how the arms compare?
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Re: Akito 3 vs Ekos 1/2

Post by Roger@TP » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm

I have a 2b here along with Ittok, Ekos, Ekos SE and Aro. I don't know how the 3b compares to the 2b but the Akito is a long long way behind the rest in pretty much any area you'd care to evaluate it. Peter (Cymbiosis) introduced me to the Roksan Nima, which again is an excellent arm. and really excellent value for money.

Might be worth contacting him and asking him to keep a look out for you.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Mikael.
I've came through Ittok then Ekos 1 now Ekos Se1 :smt020
All the time I was doing this I seen the Akito come and then change to Scotland manufacture.
Akito was always a budget type arm in comparison but when the arm range thinned out the price went silly far more than Ekos1-2 prices the performance level is nothing like an Ekos so it's definitely not one on the cheap.
Get your details on to Peter and trust him to source you a good quality pre loved one they do come round and no more difficult to fit.8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Thank you guys! My gut feeling tells me that the Ekos is the one to go for, but something (my brain?), tells me that I should ask around. Maybe based on the fact that the Ekos has evolved to the Ekos SE through the years and a thought would be that some of this excellence would trickle down to the Akito. Or maybe not. I have never heard the Akito 3 and to get a comparison between the Ekos and Akito seems impossible in my neck of the woods.

Queuing up at Cymbiosis seems like a good idea. Since I'm in no position of swapping the arms myself, it would be more convenient to ship my deck to the nearest dealer, let him do all the work and trade in my Akito 1b at the same time. The only problem is the lack of supply of Ekos arms... :smt017
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Looking at it from a different perspective, I remember being told that the Aro "doesn't play the tune nearly as well as an Akito 3B", so logically as I much prefer the Aro to the Ekos 2 then the Akito 3B should better the Ekos 2 :smt030 :D

However I strongly suspect that the Akito 3B is not that good
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Roger@TP
Trade Member

Post by Roger@TP » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Red Chris wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 pm
... being told that the Aro "doesn't play the tune nearly as well as an Akito 3B",

That made me laugh :lol: :lol:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer