Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am

Pretty sure it's Lyra's way of minimising disappointment with less than capable phono stages.
A slightly more fragile output will be upset quite easily with those not up to the job.
Shouldn't be anything to spoil that Urika Moment. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am
Pretty sure it's Lyra's way of minimising disappointment with less than capable phono stages.
A slightly more fragile output will be upset quite easily with those not up to the job.

I have not been on the forum much recently and I have come late to this particular party. Would I be right in saying that you would not have listened to the Kleos SL Jim?

I say that because I know that system synergy is very important to you and that the Kandid was the only real contender when you wanted to banish that Krystal blues that you experienced ...... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:

I have not been on the forum much recently and I have come late to this particular party. Would I be right in saying that you would not have listened to the Kleos SL Jim?

I say that because I know that system synergy is very important to you and that the Kandid was the only real contender when you wanted to banish that Krystal blues that you experienced ...... :smt023

Hi Adam,
When I was on the move so to speak all choices were available to me at the time in fact Peter was going to bring the whole collection for evaluation.
Krystal was a dead duck to me two in a row is no good Peter seen the problems when he came to audition and fault trace.
It's another story but all variables were discussed and examined and the upshot was that when the Kandid was fitted regardless of all possible findings to my problems they all disappeared in one go.
Krystal was a purchase that ticked all the boxes when I became paranoid about the eventual demise of my Troika after more than 20 years of loyal and problem free playing and having spent a small fortune by my terms anyway I thought that price point would suffice " more fool me " after having two going pear shaped that particular fruit has turned into a lemon.
It was my decision to upgrade the cartridge rather than have a totally new approach to simplifying " that did cross my mind going back to cartridge basics for a easy life "
But sense took hold about what I would miss.
Peter was extremely helpful through the conversations that followed firstly thinking about a Delos instead of Krystal but after some tech digging I found to my OCD horror that this was made from a different metal in regards to the recently acquired Ekos SE/1 thus it was brought to my attention that the said Kleos was a match made in the melting pot and it was considerably less expensive than a Kandid that was never suggested to me I put all the ticked boxes I had in the Krystal and applied them to the Kandid and so made the decision.
The lower output SL variety wasn't really on my radar as I'd had years of MC Phono stages built into the previous LINN Preamps that were good but not startlingly quiet like the Urika is so the Kandid now gets a full flow.
I've no idea if I'm missing out and to be honest for what I'm getting now I really don't care. :smt020
Sorry if this is sounding like a rant but it's been emotional. :oops:
8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 pm
Wenge1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:

Hi Adam,
When I was on the move so to speak all choices were available to me at the time in fact Peter was going to bring the whole collection for evaluation.
Krystal was a dead duck to me two in a row is no good Peter seen the problems when he came to audition and fault trace.
It's another story but all variables were discussed and examined and the upshot was that when the Kandid was fitted regardless of all possible findings to my problems they all disappeared in one go.
Krystal was a purchase that ticked all the boxes when I became paranoid about the eventual demise of my Troika after more than 20 years of loyal and problem free playing and having spent a small fortune by my terms anyway I thought that price point would suffice " more fool me " after having two going pear shaped that particular fruit has turned into a lemon.
It was my decision to upgrade the cartridge rather than have a totally new approach to simplifying " that did cross my mind going back to cartridge basics for a easy life "
But sense took hold about what I would miss.
Peter was extremely helpful through the conversations that followed firstly thinking about a Delos instead of Krystal but after some tech digging I found to my OCD horror that this was made from a different metal in regards to the recently acquired Ekos SE/1 thus it was brought to my attention that the said Kleos was a match made in the melting pot and it was considerably less expensive than a Kandid that was never suggested to me I put all the ticked boxes I had in the Krystal and applied them to the Kandid and so made the decision.
The lower output SL variety wasn't really on my radar as I'd had years of MC Phono stages built into the previous LINN Preamps that were good but not startlingly quiet like the Urika is so the Kandid now gets a full flow.
I've no idea if I'm missing out and to be honest for what I'm getting now I really don't care. :smt020
Sorry if this is sounding like a rant but it's been emotional. :oops:
8) :smt023

Doesn't sound like a rant at all. I know how I felt with one Krystal failure let alone two. luckily the second Krystal is still sounding great at the moment in LP12.

When the time comes I will look at a possible upgrade ........... who knows, maybe there will be a new kid on the block by then ........ :D

Anyway, the main thing is that your well sorted at your end and that you have ended up in a better place, all be it via a painful path ............. :smt020
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 am

A Kandid SL would be interesting.

As matters stand my Linn Krystal is performing wonderfully, but as I hear that there are fewer around now, I might put my order in for it’s replacement shortly - the sublime Lyra Kleos SL 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Lyra Kleos SL arrived at Cymbiosis. Road trip in two weeks for installation and a little comparative listening 8) :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Lyra Kleos SL arrived at Cymbiosis. Road trip in two weeks for installation and a little comparative listening 8) :smt023

Congratulations, be prepared to play your entire record collection thru... :smt020 :D :smt020 :smt023
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks - really looking forward to it :D

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:41 am

Congrats Chris. Have you made the decision to purchase the SL or do you still have the final listening vs. the Kandid to do with the Aro but also with the Urika rather than the UuphoriK that was used in your original listening session?

dCS Puccini CD Player

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Well it’s more of a right to say no, if I don’t like it with the Urika - but I can’t see that happening.

In fact I’m more intrigued to hear it in a Javelin is that is practicable, but that might need to wait for another day.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer