Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

vincent

Re: Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Post by vincent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:40 am

Craig Lang wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm
100 hours of use before it sounds any good :roll:
Akiva and Kandid and my mates Atlas took less time than that.

I was careful to say 'according to the UK distributor' (his exact words, to be taken with pinch of salt: "The first 100 hours of run in are where you will notice the biggest improvements in the sound. The next 100 hours will show marginal improvements. Once 200 hours has passed no further improvements can be expected").

To be fair, he's not saying that it takes 100 hours before sounding any good :smt018 :smt020

vincent

Post by vincent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 am

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm
So how does the Lyra Kleos SL sound compared to the Kandid?

Richard

... That's the big one (& reason for the thread), and I don't know the answer :smt017 :smt037

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 pm

.... I do. Using the Aro I prefer the Kleos SL. If I had preferred the Kandid I would have bought one.

My Kleos SL sounds simply stunning. I am absolutely delighted with it.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 pm
I do accept that the Kandid is probably at a disadvantage in the Aro due to the flying lead arrangements, but it is what it is. I prefer the Aro /Aro Keel to the Ekos SE / Keel by a considerable margin, so the Aro stays - unless the Javelin seduces me.

Chris.
Glad that has all worked out for you and are happy with the results " I kind of thought and arm change was on the horizon " but for your needs and the mentioned connectivity issues I might have done exactly the same.
Enjoy the choons. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Chris,
I guessed so.
Are you able to elaborate?
All the best
Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm

The trip to Cymbiosis focussed more on other things - getting my Kleos SL was a side issue.

I will post a bit more about the day but me saying how much I like the SL is a bit old hat
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

vincent

Post by vincent » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm
The trip to Cymbiosis focussed more on other things - getting my Kleos SL was a side issue.

Were plinths involved by any chance? :smt018 :roll:

Glad you're enjoying the KSL - I'm finding it particularly good at digging information and dynamics out of the grooves on records that have always sounded a bit lifeless :D

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm

If plinths are involved I still have not seen any comparative reviews between the Tiger Paw and Tangerine Audio plinths. So if it were these two I would be really interested.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 am

Yes, it did indeed involve plinths 8)

daveyf

Post by daveyf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Interesting discussion regarding the merits of the Lyra Kleos, Kleos SL and the Kandid. Someone mentioned that in the US , the distributor for Lyra is recommending that care be taken with the choice of the phono stage, if the Kleos SL is opted for. There is a VERY good reason for this. The reason is that with almost ALL tube phono stages, the Kleos SL will have too little output- to not impact the noise floor of the tube phono stage! As a user of a customized tube phono stage, I personally believe that the phono stage is far more important than the cartridge type, when it comes to cartridge windings and output. The question is do you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater if you opt for an ultra low output MC cartridge, like the Kleos SL..or the Etna SL, and lose some of the many great things that a superb tube phono stage adds to the equation. IMHO, you do not! Another thing, it is believed by many that Lyra's are lean....IME that is a fallacy...IF they are matched with a tube phono stage and ancillary tube gear. If you match up a Lyra with the likes of a Soulution or a CH precision phono stage, then yes...lean is what you will get.As an owner of a new Kleos, I think this cartridge is superb, but needs to be matched to the right tonearm ( in my case a WTA custom 'Black' arm on my LP12 Radikal D works wonders). The Kleos SL would have too low an output for my tube phono stage, so while it theoretically would have had slightly more resolving ability due to less windings of the coil, all of that benefit would have been lost with the mismatch to the tube phono stage.
Unfortunately, I am no fan of the various Urika phono stages, IME they are too veiled and non resolving to really hear what a great cartridge like the Kleos can do.I know many here won't agree with this, but before complaining about my opinion, go out and see if you can listen to one of the better tube phono stages on the market..ARC, CAT, BAT, Lamm etc.,
Last edited by daveyf on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer