Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Its the same old problem. The 'best' component won't necessarily give perfect results when paired with another 'best' component. (remember the bad old 70's when people built systems from the current 'best buy' products and ended up disappointed?)

Oh, and welcome
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I said my piece on pages 1&2.
Coyote Jim @ Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL
And put my money where my mouth is. :smt020 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

varyat

Post by varyat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:43 pm

Davey- I agree that the phono stage is critical with cartridge matching for best results. I believe the Urika has a "standard" 100 ohm load with 64 db's ? of gain which can accommodate a lot of MC's. I'm certain Linn voiced the Kandid with the Urika to get the best result. Problem is when you start using non-Linn MC's with the Urika. I have a Urika. I also have a Whest Titan Pro. Using a DV Xv1-s, the Titan Pro is the better phono stage.
I recently dipped my toe into the tube phono preamp world to see what tubes would bring to the party with a Lyra Etna SL. I commissioned GT at Tron to build a phono pre that would bring out the best of the Lyra; obviously in his opinion. What resulted was a loading of 46 ohms with 74 db's of gain.The combination has about 30 hrs of play time at this point and is really starting to gel. This is by far the best sound that I have heard from my deck. Huge dynamics, tonally very rich but fast as hell. No way is this the "lean" sound that many have characterized Lyra with. Very happy that you brought the topic of "other" phono stages to these pages...there are a lot of great phono pre's available and tubes can be a wonderful addition to an otherwise SS set-up. Just my $.02..
ATB,
Mark

daveyf

Post by daveyf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:50 am

Mark, IMHO Lyra gets a very bad rap with this thing about them being 'lean'! I don't think this is at all deserved when utilized with the appropriate phono stage...and as I stated before, that is likely a tube phono stage.
I can absolutely state this, my Lyra Kleos is anything BUT lean in my system. I am actually someone who has a very low acceptance of 'lean' sounding gear, and if anything I 'lean' ( pun intended) to the warm side of things. Having just replaced a Benz Ruby 2, which is by most people's standards a tad warm...I think the Kleos is more resolving, more able at both ends of the frequency spectrum and while not quite as warm as the Benz, it certainly is NOT lean!

vincent

Post by vincent » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:58 pm

varyat wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:43 pm
I believe the Urika has a "standard" 100 ohm load with 64 db's ? of gain which can accommodate a lot of MC's. I'm certain Linn voiced the Kandid with the Urika to get the best result. Problem is when you start using non-Linn MC's with the Urika.

I don't know Urika's load and gain, but thought it worked fine with the standard Kleos when I was using this combination. Maybe the Lyra design is sufficiently close to the Kandid (also made by Lyra) to benefit from some of the same synergy?

With Urika II there is certainly no problem using non-Linn MCs, since the software enables cartridges to be precisely configured - either by selecting from a list, or by entering custom settings.

When I changed from Urika to Urika II, I was advised that Kleos settings were the same as Delos (I'm not sure in retrospect that was right). When I replaced Kleos with Kleos SL, I configured the Urika II (as non-specified 'other moving coil cartridge') as below.

Kandid: Gain 50db; Input Resistance 42 Ohms; Input Capacitance 1.0NF
Delos: G 50db; IR 170 Ohms; IC 2.0NF
Kleos SL: G 62db; IR 1K Ohms; IC 1.0NF (higher IR = more 'wide open', lower damping, according to Lyra)

I've not heard the Kleos SL with the 'standard' Urika, but I don't think the lower output is a problem from what I gather of others' experience (Peter at Cymbiosis might care to comment!)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer