Kandid and Aro

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

The Flatearther

Re: Kandid and Aro

Post by The Flatearther » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:43 pm

There is no question is it worth it, only can one afford it.

The difference is far from marginal.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 pm

But would I prefer a Chord Music on the Urika? 8) This also needs to be ascertained, not to mention Stiletto 2 :smt023
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 pm
But would I prefer a Chord Music on the Urika? 8) This also needs to be ascertained, not to mention Stiletto 2 :smt023

I assume you mean a Chord Music between Urika and preamp. But IIRC you've already got a Super ARAY serving that role and now have a Sarum T power lead into the power supply. But what about Chord Sarum T between the Radikal and the Urika? I'm not aware that anyone has done that yet, but it seems the next logical step and I understand that chord will make up virtually any lead to order.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Having heard the difference between a Chord Sarum T and the Chord Music both on Urikas to Naim 552 (with SE spec LP12s), I do not plan to stop off at T level on that journey

I do however agree that it would be interesting if Chord could have a look at the cables from Klimax Radikal to both LP12 motor and Urika, but agree with you that the cable to Urika may be more easily doable
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

Dave J

Post by Dave J » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Inclined to agree, it's a big difference and worth saving for.

I'm also intrigued, given your enthusiastic review of your Sarum T power cable, how much better a Music version might be in the same application. I did hear an early prototype when I was last down at Chord and it was absurdly good.

In the meantime, you still need to hear a Sarum T Snake on your 552...

PTplayers

Post by PTplayers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:17 am

evil_C wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 pm
It's all marginal gains and I wonder is that marginal gain compared with the Krystal really worth an extra £2k? Especially for a 'consumable' item. But then if you can justify £2k for a mains lead...

Go on Chris; you know you want to!

I was looking at the Krystal as well , but picked up brand new kandid for 4k canadian .

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm

I do however agree that it would be interesting if Chord could have a look at the cables from Klimax Radikal to both LP12 motor and Urika, but agree with you that the cable to Urika may be more easily doable

The motor cable can't happen as it will void the factory warranty :smt018 , FYI the Urika power cable is one I'm "working on" with Chord already, as it will be just a plug in once the Urika is removed - However, the use of a right-angled connector with Sarum T/ Music may prove challenging! :)

KR

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

evil_C

Re: Kandid and A

Post by evil_C » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 pm
Red Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm

The motor cable can't happen as it will void the factory warranty :smt018 , FYI the Urika power cable is one I'm "working on" with Chord already, as it will be just a plug in once the Urika is removed - However, the use of a right-angled connector with Sarum T/ Music may prove challenging! :)

KR

Peter

But do you think the right angled plug is actually necessary to avoid the rear leg of the Fraim when using a Klimax Radikal, in which the sockets are inset a fair distance from the rear edge of the unit? Besides, since the Klimax Radikal is quite a bit narrower than the Akurate, it might be an option for it to be displaced marginally to one side if necessary. What do you think?

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 pm

When we had the Bournemouth bake off and swapped the KRad to use on Ray's LP12 I was surprised how easily the standard cables worked with the KRad on Fraim, I was expecting more of a palaver.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer