A new bearing on my music!

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

FangfossFlyer

A new bearing on my music!

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:46 pm

What a revelation!

I took my LP12 into The Sound Org (York) for a regular service and this time I decided to have a new inner platter and bearing housing.

Well when it came back home my jaw just dropped as I have never heard my system so good.

Exactly the vibe I love, full of live engagement and in my ‘furrow’ 😉.

It is just so outstanding that it his kicked any further thoughts of a Tranquility or a new top plate into touch as I don’t want to upset what I have, at least for a while that is!

David at The SORG is famed for his meticulous attention to detail and musical testing when building and servicing LP12s and this time it is beyond anything I could have imagined. I am so pleased and can’t thank him and The SORG enough.

Some details, my LP12 is of 1988/9 vintage, had a Cirkus upgrade when that first came out (many, many years ago) but has never had a new bearing since.

David also replaced:

- Inner platter + new bearing housing;
- Mat (sided);
- Belt (sided etc.);
- Grommets and springs;
- Cross brace;
- Wiring loom.

Of course, it may not have been just the new bearing but I suspect that it is the main driver of change.

So, I think my LP12 will stay as it for a while and the only itch I have left to scratch is to try a Chord 4-5 pin DIN for my Superline :smt002

All the best,

Richard :D
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: A new bearing on my music!

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Glad you got a result and are happy I've still got my original 1987 cross brace I've never known an upgrade.
The wiring loom intrigues as depending on the spec of your deck there is only a mains lead to the board if Valhalla,
Fixed wires from the motor if is still AC,
Arm lead and ribbon to the button switch.
Unless I'm having a brain fade. :smt017
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Vulkan Board Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:12 pm

I may have misundersttod and will check what the 'wiring loom' included.
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Wenge1

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 pm

It's always a great feeling when one gets the old fruit box back home after some work on it and the difference makes itself heard straight away ........ :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 am

As no one else has yet asked, I will put my hand up.

:smt006 What made you decide to change the bearing?
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, Kore, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Trampolin2, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII, HoL Mat

Lots of black boxes connected with bits of damp string.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am

People are easily panicked when a spot appears but really it's just the mating of the pair. :smt007
Marriage is made just don't let it get rough. :smt005
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Vulkan Board Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 pm

My chassis was an old pressed type so cirkus could not be fitted so kore cirkus it was and yep its an real eye opener. Now that was about 2 years ago believe itor not. So lots of life left yet.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer