New Cirkus Bearing ?

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

New Cirkus Bearing ?

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 am

Unannounced change of key component 3 years ago.
What's your thoughts. :smt017
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Vulkan Board Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

FangfossFlyer

Re: New Cirkus Bearing ?

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:54 am

I expect that there are quite a few 'continual improvements', material and manufacturing changes that happen that are not announced to the public or even dealers.

Some of which get noticed and others just slip through.

In my case the change was known about and I decided to replace my bearing with pleasing results for me.

Maybe now that it is known about by more people that Linn and dealers will benefit in an upswing in interest and business?

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:54 am
In my case the change was known about and I decided to replace my bearing with pleasing results for me

Bully for you it's a pity it wasn't shared and kept " secret " until a cash cow injection.
I for one don't see it as a well done boys good development I see it as being very devious and discourteous and disrespectful to the very people that throw there hard earned at it and have kept it in the forefront for many years.
The very thing that makes the deck what it is and development " obviously for the better " has been secreted.
So much for the old listening tests for continued improvement.
Can't say I'm surprised.
I may cool down eventually when the smell disperses. :smt013
"Cymbiosis"
LP12,Cirkus,Radikal,Urika,Keel,Linn mat,Ekos SE/1,Krystal,Majik I Dynamik,Majik CD,
Kudos X3,Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack,Vulkan Board Naim Cups & Balls, Linn Silvers & K200 Black with Linn Knekt Bananas. 8) :smt023

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 am
Unannounced change of key component 3 years ago.
What's your thoughts. :smt017

It may have been announced Jim, but it passed me by or I missed it, I just don't know but being about three years ago when the change was made, when I was really having a tough time personally as you will remember. I was unaware and yet this change was known by some, hence the advice Richard was given.

Nobody, it's fair to say has written about it until Richard reported that his already great sounding deck sounds a lot better after a bearing change and this was swapping out one bearing in good condition for a new one and a set-up. Obviously, there could be other factors as Richard has stated, but either way, there was a change in production which I have had confirmed now in talking to David.W and this should have improved performance/consistency of the bearing. However, this upgrade cannot be seen once the bearing is built and finished, so it's not something we could spot visually.

Linn have always pursued a policy of continuous improvement which is good in my opinion as we always want better. It's also fair to say that Linn has made many of these upgrades retro-fit able, allowing us to upgrade if we wished and felt it worthwhile which is great. In this case a new bearing and sub-platter sounded better than previously it seems, obviously with the caveat of Richard's comments and it was the strength of these comments (as he is normally very measured) caught our interest and certainly mine.

I need to do some A/B tests really to determine how much better, better is, and I will do this when time allows.

Many thanks to Richard for publishing his thoughts/findings and alerting us to this and to David W for his help.

Best regards,

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

I guess it one of those "we have changed the way its made and didn't expect an improvement' sort of change. After all, if its made from the same materials as the 'old' bearing you wouldn't expect a change.

I look forward to hearing the results of your experiments Peter, but if its as positive as Richards expect the phone to go into meltdown with bookings :lol:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, Kore, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Trampolin2, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII, HoL Mat

Lots of black boxes connected with bits of damp string.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 pm
The very thing that makes the deck what it is and development " obviously for the better " has been secreted.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Jim, Linn's continued improvement policy continues. If we can get even better sound quality from our LP12s, getting closer to the real sound then this has to be good and reason to be happy :)

KR

Peter

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm
I guess it one of those "we have changed the way its made and didn't expect an improvement' sort of change. After all, if its made from the same materials as the 'old' bearing you wouldn't expect a change.

I look forward to hearing the results of your experiments Peter, but if its as positive as Richards expect the phone to go into meltdown with bookings :lol:

And I have to look at my now 20 LP12s on demo, as some will need bearing updates so as to preserve the level playing field for demonstrations. I believe I will have several good/used Cirkus bearings available here soon.

KR

Peter

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Mr Fixit wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Can't say I'm surprised.

Jim, Linn's continued improvement policy continues. If we can get even better sound quality from our LP12s, getting closer to the real sound then this has to be good and reason to be happy :)

KR

Peter

Peter,
You've got mail.!
Nobody is blaming you but this isn't good.
"Cymbiosis"

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
FangfossFlyer wrote:
In my case the change was known about and I decided to replace my bearing with pleasing results for me

Bully for you it's a pity it wasn't shared and kept " secret " until a cash cow injection.
I for one don't see it as a well done boys good development I see it as being very devious and discourteous and disrespectful to the very people that throw there hard earned at it and have kept it in the forefront for many years.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Sorry, I don't get your 'bully for you' comment as I reported my findings after a couple of weeks and how was I too know it was not widely known when I first heard of it?

Apologies if I misunderstand what you are saying but your comment comes across very rude to me.

Anyway, there is more to life than this so I am going to enjoy it.

Regards,

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:22 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
FangfossFlyer wrote:

Can't say I'm surprised.

Sorry, I don't get your 'bully for you' comment as I reported my findings after a couple of weeks and how was I too know it was not widely known when I first heard of it?

Apologies if I misunderstand what you are saying but your comment comes across very rude to me.

Anyway, there is more to life than this so I am going to enjoy it.

Regards,

Richard

Pretty obvious by my first quote in reply you knew about and told nobody.
I'm alright Jack.
"Cymbiosis"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer