The Great Bournemouth* Bake Off

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

FangfossFlyer

Re: The Great Bournemouth* Bake Off

Post by FangfossFlyer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for a great write up and most interesting especially for me the bit about the Chord Sarum T power cable on the Klimax Radikal.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Super write up and really good read.
It certainly confirmed my findings in a couple of my upgrades and I'm glad " but also following hierarchy " all still conforms I'm a great believer in manufacturer synergy and this is a main reason I've stuck to the silver interconnects I have this idea that the research and development would have been done using these as consistency at least as a benchmark.

I'm no Naim expert by any means but in the general interconnectivity of sound systems both domestic and commercial the accepted reliable standard has always been XLR for locking connections and for large surface interface has always been RCA.

The advent of DIN with connectivity was always perceived as a compromise for multipoint connecting convenience rather than sonic qualities.
Probably the reason for its use is the multiple connections needed for auxiliary power supplies so why not standardise the connectivity.

I know the accepted protocol with all Naimees is to use din rather than the alternative but also provided RCA sockets on the equipment.

Obviously more connectors in the circuit is a compromise in comparison to a straight one I've always wondered but never heard the difference if the RCA was used instead of DIN or BNC strangely BNC is much more used in the radio communications industry than domestic sound systems.
Eventually I'll have to compare by ear as Linn is no longer on my radar for Amp replacement as I've no interest in streaming or being dissuaded from analogue.
Naim so far seems like the next choice.

I enjoyed some of the descriptive expressions for some of the differences and the one that lit a bulb for me was the difference going from Kore to Keel I was always trying to describe what I thought using phrases like more gain, higher definition etc but was trounced by the word " Slam "
Great read and photos and lots of variables to play with thanks for sharing and taking the time.
I hope these in depth and interesting posts get good reading as deserved. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Ray chose some music and we decided to hear what the effect of changing the Akurate Radikal power cable for a Chord Sarum T power cable.

The addition of the Sarum T power cable to the Akurate Radikal was just silly - a power cable could not possibly have that effect.
I must admit that the level of improvement you found by switching to a Sarum T power cable is surprising.

Since our decks are on roughly the same performance level, this has piqued my interest Chris. What difference did you find when you switched to a Sarum T power cable onto the Klimax Radikal in your system? Was it a similar jump in performance..... :D
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

kota

Post by kota » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 pm

great stuff :smt023 . Glad I came over to check this out. Too many variables at stake methinks. I'm hoping you both can come up with a definite conclusion and, most of all, hope Ray can improve his LP12 and take it to another level without too much of an outlay based on this brilliant and friendly shootout :D Wish I could have attended Chris after your kind invitation :smt023 But as I said on the other place, I'm only two and half flight hours away from you :shock:

Cheers,

Pedro
Fluted black LP12/Kore/Cirkus/Lingo1/aluminium solid base/Ekos1/Troika, Naim cd3.5/72K/HiCap/180, NACA5, Neat Mystiques2

apye

Post by apye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Great write up Chris with a good insight on which upgrades do what.
It still does not replace letting your own ears decide mind you but food for thought.

Many thanks,
Andy
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 am

Excellent write up, Chris. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you and Ray had fun.

Which gives greatest improvement do you think, Tranquility or Super ARAY T power lead?
Last edited by evil_C on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Chris,

More questions for you if you don't mind as each time I read it I find more of interest.

As regards the Tranquilty and Chord T powerline what, to your ears, do they each bring to play?

I ask as I am looking to revisit the Tranquilty and arrange a dem of Chord powerlines for my Radikal

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

ray davis

Post by ray davis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

first of all many thanks to Chris for having me over for the day. The music we played was quite a mix of everything from Suzanne Vega, George Michael, Genesis , Yello and others. IN standard as the decks with there own radikal there was one big difference in sound. The K-rad had a lot more presence when rads were changed my deck came more alive. The one big differnce that stood out imediatley was the changing of Standard Linn main cable to the Sarum T. I think we were both quite surprised at the difference. The DV is quite laid back where the Krystal drags everything out. If anything the weakest link to me on my deck was the cartridge but after the rebuild i decided to keep it so i could hear all the other new parts working together. The difference between the two radikals is very noticeable in the sound quality. Chris deck had so much more presentation with the K-rad and SarumT. leaving aside the radikals, the only difference in the decks was plinth, arm,cartridge, interconnects and Sub chassis. Both had khan, tranquilty, cirkus and Urika. The only tests we didnt do was mix one radikal on motor and use other on Urika.

Other items we did mention were the now other available sub-chassis available from Tigerpaw Akula and Tangerine plateau. I would like to have a listen to all three as there is quite a price range and see what each one offers. I have listened to DV XX2 krystal and a Kleos.

I would describe my deck as quite laid back compared to Chris deck which gave everything dynamics,presentation and punch. My deck is now at its second residence for a few days for its part time owner to play with.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm

evil_C wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 am
Which gives greatest improvement do you think, Tranquility or Super ARAY T power lead?
FangfossFlyer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 am
As regards the Tranquilty and Chord T powerline what, to your ears, do they each bring to play?
Hi both - very good questions. Both decks already have Tranquilities installed and it is not a comparison that I have done directly.

When I first listened to a Tranqulility effect the most striking initial aspects were lower noise, clarity of detail and a wider, more precise performance. More musical and enjoyable. Similar to what the Chord power cable brought! The Chord power cable is a longer story though.

I had a Sarum Super ARAY power cable on loan for a good long time and was planning to buy it. It brought a very fundemental improvement - like a power supply change. The noise floor was really lower too. However events happened and I decided to buy some Fraim. Doing the sums meant that I expected to defer buying the cable, but when it came to it I simply could not give up the SSA power cable.

In the intervening period the Sarum T version was relased so I wa allowed to retain the SSA until the power cable version of the T was available. When I received the T it did need a bit of running in, but it was not very long before the Sarum T was simply better than the SSA, with a more a natural and cohesive presentation plus more of a performance with greater presence. More perceived pace and flow - more real, although the SSA was really good before.

So to try to answer the questions, I think that the Tranquility improvement is more subtle, and the power cable more obvious - I love it in my system. I am hesitant because the change to Sarum T happened with the Tranquility in place but, and this is more a gut feeling, I would say that if I had to give one up it would probably be the Tranquility - even though the TQ is great value for money, yet because of that it would also be cheaper to re-acquire.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 pm

ray davis wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm
leaving aside the radikals, the only difference in the decks was plinth, arm, cartridge, interconnects and sub-chassis.
So virtually identical :D
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer