Radikal question.

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

longgone

Radikal question.

Post by longgone » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:34 am

Hi. What do you think? Silly?
I always put the stylus guard on the cartridge when I end the playing session.
This is an LP12 with a Radikal.
When I power on for a session, does it matter if that stylus guard is still on the cartridge?
I believe the Radikal begins calibrating when it is powered on and, if the stylus guard is on the cartridge, the stylus guard is part of the calibration.
Will the speed of the LP12 be off because of this?

LD100

Re: Radikal question.

Post by LD100 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:10 am

I would think the answer is no.

Electronic devices calibrate through sensors...the Radical's speed sensor turns on and off as the turntable platter revolves. I don't see the stylus guard affecting that rotation, hence I don't see the stylus guard affecting the calibration. :smt023

As a side note, I personally take the stylus guard off on the first play of a new cartridge and never replace it.

I have no inquisitive children or humans of any type that may desire to "monkey" with my stereo, so I realize I may be alone in this procedure. :shock:
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 am

Up until having the Krystal fitted I didn’t bother switching off the motor when changing records or with the stylus guard. Since then my paranoia of the mat coming off the deck with the record if any static is present has changed my procedures. Like wise replacing the stylus guard after listening.

I have had to many close shaves to risk a moment of stupidity busting a cartridge.

Like wise I don’t listen to vinyl unless I’m going to be in the room.
Well Keeled :smt020

longgone

Post by longgone » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 am

... good thinking LD100.
My mind got wandering from watching the Radikal calibrate when a record went on the platter and when the stylus met the record. I guess I thought weight had something to do with the Radikal, but the stylus guard doesn't weigh anything anyway.

I don't like anyone else handling my audio gear, either.
Most of us are like that - yes?
My girlfriend is getting brave enough to try the preamp a little.
That's ok. She has a couple of nice vintage receivers at her place.
I have a stack of separates which probably intimidate most people.
She hasn't reached for the LP12 yet.
That's ok. Maybe later.
I've been thinking that for a turntable beginner, it takes some training to operate an LP12.

But back to the stylus guard...
I scooped a newer LP12 this year with an Ekos SE1 and a Kandid.
The stylus guard for the Kandid is so slick and easy to put on that I started to use it and now it's automatic.
Using the stylus guard is 'SOP' for me. (Standard Operating Procedure).
Plus the tube of the tonearm was beginning to freak me out because where the tonearm sits in the rest cradle thing, a mark like 'ring around the bath tub', was threatening to happen on the tonearm. So instead of pressing the tonearm into that cradle thing I just sit the tonearm on the part of the cradle that extends out from where the tonearm is supposed to secure into the cradle. And like you, no one else is here or going to touch the LP12 but the stylus guard is always on, except when the LP12 is playing.
Plus the stylus on the Kandid is like a bowsprit on an old sailing ship. I get focused when I swing that thing around. I can barely imagine the grief if I accidentally whacked that stylus. Zero forgiveness. Like a table saw and your fingers meeting.

But I understand your procedure re: stylus guard.

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 am

We all have developed our own SOP regarding the equipment that we each use.

I don't have any fear of my mat coming off with a record because I don't use the felt anymore.
When I did that caused a change in procedure to make sure it didn't make a bee line for the stylus. :smt018

I haven't noticed any mark on my tone arm, so I fit it into the holder when not playing, but during listening sessions I also just let it rest there.

I think we all have are own procedures learned through experience with our own equipment.
But two (or more) heads are better than one and it is always good to hear what the other lad or lassie is doing. :D
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:00 am

IIRC the only calibration the Radikal does is rotational. It will compensate for the weight of the record (and thus any extra drag on the bearing) and the drag of the stylus in the groove.

Hence the light sensor and 'black tag' on the inside of the platter. That gives the computer a count which it then compared to the reference and adjusts accordingly.

Anything outside that loop is irrelevant.

And FYI I never turn any of the electronics off unless I will be away for an extended period, but I do use the switch on the LP12 to turn the platter rotation off when I change sides (old hands + old eyes + rotating record = accident waiting to happen)
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:33 am

I usually leave the table spinning when turning a record over. If it lifts the mat and it suddenly drops I grab it quick to prevent it meeting the stylus cantilever. But I suppose if there were to be a mishap then I assume (always a risk) that the insurance would pay for a replacement.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

evil_C wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:33 am
I usually leave the table spinning when turning a record over. If it lifts the mat and it suddenly drops I grab it quick to prevent it meeting the stylus cantilever. But I suppose if there were to be a mishap then I assume (always a risk) that the insurance would pay for a replacement.

Wow a braver man than I etc. ............... :D
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Radikal question.

Post by Red Chris » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm

I turn the deck off if I am operating someone else's turntable - at least initially. With my deck I change records on the fly and leave the deck spinning throughout the listening session. I put the stylus guard and lid back on at the end of the session 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

longgone

Post by longgone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:01 pm

... nice to chat with other LP12 people.
My LP12 stays spinning while I carefully flip sides and till the end of the listening session, too.
Sometimes it is very hard to end a listening session!
I'm always careful about the mat and so far, no probs.
I've become very careful about static charges, too.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer