Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Derosa

Re: LINN Krystal cleaning advice

Post by Derosa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm

That’s because I only used it on the diamond as instructed :smt023
Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Derosa wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm
That’s because I only used it on the diamond as instructed :smt023

That's why I said it. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

apye

Post by apye » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:20 pm

evil_C wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am
Yes I have been using Lyra SPT on my Krystal since new. Although I haven't checked the receipt, I suspect it's over a year old. Mine is serial number 0314. It is quite easy to see when there is a build up of debris on the stylus which cleans off quite effectively with the brush dampened with SPT. I have, I should point out, always used it strictly in accordance with the instructions.

I do not know how to use the abrasive paper to clean the stylus without risk of the edge catching the cantilever (it must be a very delicate operation, after all), so I'd be reluctant to use it. I guess from now I'll just use the AT637 dry, but I don't think it's as effective as SPT.

Although I've never tested it, I would hope that if it failed, then the household insurance should cover the replacement cost as accidental damage, just as it should if the cantilever were caught on a baggy jumper sleeve.

Thanks for the reply Clive.

Sounds like yours is as old as mine, just over a year.
I am wondering if we have been using SPT from day one whether the damage is already done and reverting to a dry cleaning method won't make much difference? :?
Maybe only prolong it? :smt017
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

apye

Post by apye » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm

evil_C wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 pm
I have just checked the receipt for my Krystal cartridge and was surprised to find that I had actually purchased it in January 2016, so it's approaching two (2) years old. Typically I have been using Lyra SPT after each playing session.

Hi Clive,

Only saw this post after replying to your previous post.
Well your Krystal seems to be holding up very well considering you have been using SPT on it for so Long!! :shock:
Maybe ths SPT isn't causing the cantilever to shear after all. :| :smt009 :smt017 xss07
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Derosa wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 pm
“That looks very suspicious to be blaming the cleaning fluid its rather far up to be used in accordance with instructions IMO.”

Exactly and this thread was extracted by the Mods and re-named. The issue as I have said I believe is/was with fluid cleaners on these cantilevers as far as we can tell at this stage.

More research needs to take place first.

Peter
Last edited by Mr Onion on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited in light of new topic title
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Another possible answer might be depending on the purity of aluminium used corrosion cannot take place but in the case of less pure aluminium then any catalytic reaction will take place in an accelerated fashion in the presence of moisture hence "catalytic reaction".
8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

LD100

Post by LD100 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:42 am

The latest from Linn staff----

David Williamson Linn Staff
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer

RE: Krystal Cleaning Advice. Please Read and Share
Gentlemen, to set the record straight, as this thread appears to have unnecessarily caused panic, and to re-iterate what I said earlier on this post.

The Krystal is made by Armour, therefore it is their advice we should heed. The cantilever is an aluminium tube which has a flattened end to insert the stylus into.
They recommend that “Liquid stylus cleaners must be used sparingly if at all”. They state this in some of their own cartridge manuals.

Armour have also already investigated these failures and attributed them to the overuse of wet cleaning, not material flaws or anything else. They have seen the same failure mode before with customers using wet cleaning fluids.
The cantilever used in the Krystal is the same one as we used in the Klyde, so we have some 22 years of reliability data on this part.
These 2 failures are the only ones we can find due to cleaning fluid.

There is no issue with using SPT fluid on Arkiv, Akiva, or Kandid as were/are all made for us by Lyra and have solid boron cantilevers.

Furthermore Lyra also read our forum, and have been in touch with me directly to advise that they will be changing the wording of their manuals and website to:-
“clearly spell out that this product should not be used with any cartridges where the manufacturer recommends that liquid cleaners be avoided”

Regards,

David
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 pm

It is with a heavy heart that following the information from David W above I will be selling my Lyra SPT brush it is barely used, just 30 times , and I am open to any genuine offer
Cheers

Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Can I ask a simple question to all Krystal owners ?

Did you receive any written instruction from Linn about what you cannot clean you stylus with ?

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Steven wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm
Can I ask a simple question to all Krystal owners ?

Did you receive any written instruction from Linn about what you cannot clean you stylus with ?

No! :smt009
"Cymbiosis"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer