Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: New Urika and Lingo rumours???

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:56 pm

I think at those prices for loops I'd be a flatliner. :smt005
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

LD100 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 pm
How pretty, the speaker wire looks like a sine wave...

I wonder what frequency?

:o :shock: :o :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

I wondered if it was a way to control bass frequency
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

image.png
Heres a diagram to interest the digital fraternity I think it explains something. :smt017
image.jpeg
Not much space for Glasgow air in the new Lingo boxes in this factory pic. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"

LD100

Post by LD100 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm
Heres a diagram to interest the digital fraternity I think it explains something. :smt017

I think it illustrates the damage done to the analogue signal during the digitization process. :smt005

Oops, did I say that out loud? :shock:

:smt043
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm

LD100 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

I think it illustrates the damage done to the analogue signal during the digitization process. :smt005

Oops, did I say that out loud? :shock:

:smt043

That's what I love about all this digitisation malarkey they do all that research and development spend all that cash add in all those boxes and sound effects to try and make it sound like it did before they started. :smt017 :shock: :smt005
"Cymbiosis"

LD100

Post by LD100 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm
That's what I love about all this digitisation malarkey they do all that research and development spend all that cash add in all those boxes and sound effects to try and make it sound like it did before they started. :smt017 :shock: :smt005

:smt005
Indeed! Personally, if(when) the day comes that my LP12 isn't the preferred choice for listening to by my friends or myself...I'll know something is off with my LP12. :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Current sources and standing...

1. Sondek LP12 :smt023
2. Blu-ray disc 24-bit/192 kHz
3. SACD
4. DVD-Audio
5. Reel to Reel
6. CD
7. Cassette

I will admit the gap between first place and second place is very close. But I am of the same opinion as Rupert Neve that all that switching on and off in digital is what gives analogue the edge. But that's just Rupert and me. :D :D
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Hey Guys,

just a reminder that if you do want to pop over for our Lingo 4 and Urika 2 event on Saturday 24th please use the Linn website to book your place and time.
https://www.linn.co.uk/events

Tea, Coffee and biscuits provided. If you'd like any other drinks, snacks, nibbles etc please speak now :)

I've set up four LP12s for the day, two of them new, all are running in in their various configurations, so I now have over 20 LP12s here to allow for the evaluation of pretty much any upgrade!

More info on Facebook FYI https://www.facebook.com/groups/1718271 ... 345894077/

Best regards,

Peter
Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Off to The Sound Org tonight to hear the new Linn Lingo and Urika.
Will let you know my initial views.
🤔
Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am

I spent a pleasant evening at The Sound Organisation (York) and with two reps from Linn yesterday evening when the new Lingo 4 and Urika II were demoed. – thanks guys and to all who attended.

My initial impressions after listening to comparative Linn “tune dem” is that Linn has made some pleasing strides forward:

Lingo 4:

This is just not a Lingo 3+ but a complete new design. I was mighty impressed on hearing it and straight away the improvement over the Lingo 3 was apparent with more smoothness and, dare I say it, ‘music’. It reminded me of when I first heard the Radikal compared to my, then, Lingo 2.

I am an Radikal owner but the Lingo 4 must come mighty close to it so I expect Linn has a real success on their hands here with the Lingo 4.

If I were still a Lingo user I would have bought one there and then!

One interesting, if somewhat surprising, comment was that the Lingo 3’s ‘crystal oscillator’ (or something similar??) drifts off ‘ideal’ spec after about 15 minutes of playing – I hasten to add that Linn has fixed any such issues with the Lingo 4. I am sure someone from Linn will correct me on this if I misunderstood.

Urika II:

Once again this is not just a Urika + but a complete new design including an ADC and RIAA alignment with significant opportunities in the digital domain etc. etc.

My first impressions are that Linn has made a significant improvement over the Urika I which I have found to be a bit on the dry and clinical side to date, hence why I am a non Urika user. But the new Urika II has opened my eyes and ears to what Linn is doing. Put simply, for me, it has brought the ‘soul’ to the music that was missing with the Urika I. ‘Soul’ is a difficult thing to define but it was more akin to what I get out of my existing phono stage and sounded ‘real’ to me and non-clinical which is something I found was lacking with the Urika I.

For those with an existing Exakt system I would think the Urika II is almost an instant purchase (cash permitting of course).

To use it one needs an Exakt compliant ‘box’ such as a DS or DSM apparently (you can tell I am not familiar with these things). Linn said they will continue to offer the Urika I alongside the Urika II to those who do not have such a compatible system.

What would be really interesting and telling for me would be a full Urika II Exakt system at home for an extended dem to really hear the system with my music. Whether I would replace all my downstream amps, interconnects, racks & shelves, speakers I am not sure but it did make me think of such again but then what would I do with the space where my current boxes sit!

So, for me, a definite improvement over the Urika I and with exciting possibilities for the future through software optimisations etc.

The only embarrassing down side for Linn was that we had several 1 second drop outs when playing which may have been down to the Exakt system or network bandwidth but I assume this is not typical of an Exakt system.

Overall, I would say that Linn continues to move forward with the LP12 and has made some pleasing improvements in the Lingo and also with their philosophy and Exakt architecture with the Urika II which I much preferred over the Urika I and presented itself very well with ‘soul’.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer