Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Still room for improvement?

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Actually I meant to say Lyra Etna not Kleos - but the Kleos SL is on my personal shortlist for Krystal replacement when the time is right.

Chris.
I was really surprised when I read one of you're older posts when you got Krystal that you had swapped out a Lyra Kleos for Krystal that's one of the upgrades I would have expected the other way round. :shock:
The single layer Kleos does indeed get some great following but given the Urika in any guise is best suited to the slightly more higher output cartridges I wonder if you would have to go down the more adjustable phono stage path.
Interesting. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm

I take your point Jim. It’s very early days but if the Kleos SL does work well with the Urika it becomes an option - when the time is right.

The change to Krystal from a 3+ year old Kleos had a degree of pragmatism involved. The Kleos sounded good but no longer at its best. I expected to buy a Kandid but the quality of the Krystal coupled with 15% off Klimax Radikal gave it the nod.

The Kleos is better head to head. But the three point fixing and the fun quotient make the Krystal compelling. I preferred the KRad / Krystal to the BRad (baby Radikal) / Kandid. But perhaps the 15% off helped 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks Chris
It certainly was a bang for buck decision.
I've been thinking Kleos but was taken aback with your preference for the Krystal " you've been very lucky "
Now when look at Kleos I can't help thinking for a bit more I get another three point mount and less tag connections.
The only thing with the SL is slightly lower output it might be a bit quiet and with Urika it's pre optimised for Kandid output levels.
The Krystal is quite quiet compared to my old Troika but much more sparkly and detailed.
My mind tells me if I had an Aro it would be Kleos or In my SE/1 it would be a Kandid as I'm not sure how all that connection confusion would impact the overall SQ.
Decisions. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm

I agree Jim. I am not a fan of the cartridge tag arrangements for the Kandid in the Aro (although it sounds great) but I also have my standard Kleos available to trade in - which make a significant difference to the price.

The music is stunning at the moment so this is idle speculation 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Spikes

Post by Spikes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

Red Chris wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:42 am
Firstly swap the Ekos SE and Keel for an Aro - with sKale and an Aro Keel :smt023 after that Klimax Radikal

Chord Music on the Urika would be wonderful and then a fluted Stiletto

Lyra Atlas would be good but the Lyra Kleos SL would be worth considering.

8)

That's buying an extra LP12 ;-)
# Main room: LP12 (Ekos SE/Keel/Kandid/Radikal/Urika II/CH fl. ebony), ADSM Kat, 2200, 2x4200, 242, Electrocomp. ECG1, Cambridge CXUHD
# Bed room: Sneaky DSI, Komponent 104
# Garden: Sekrit DS, Monitor Audio CL50
# Study: Knekt Roomamp, Komponent 104

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Spikes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am
Red Chris wrote:
Firstly swap the Ekos SE and Keel for an Aro - with sKale and an Aro Keel :smt023 after that Klimax Radikal. Chord Music on the Urika would be wonderful and then a fluted Stiletto. Lyra Atlas would be good but the Lyra Kleos SL would be worth considering. 8)
I couldn't possibly suggest something that extravagant :D

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 am

Red Chris wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Spikes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am
Red Chris wrote:
Firstly swap the Ekos SE and Keel for an Aro - with sKale and an Aro Keel :smt023 after that Klimax Radikal. Chord Music on the Urika would be wonderful and then a fluted Stiletto. Lyra Atlas would be good but the Lyra Kleos SL would be worth considering. 8)
I couldn't possibly suggest something that extravagant :D

I could :p :lol:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

dan steel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm
Play decent music.. :roll:

Ha, just seen this post ........ I think that I will continue to take this particular piece of advice myself ......... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer