Tracking force for Linn Krystal

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

evil_C

Tracking force for Linn Krystal

Post by evil_C » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Can anyone remind me please what is the recommended tracking force (actually mass, in grams) for the Krystal cartridge?

After a system reshuffle, suddenly all my records sound lifeless and I guess I ought to check that I haven’t upset the tracking force whilst removing and reinstalling the Aro. I find it hard to believe, but I guess I ought to check.

Thanks, CB

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Tracking force for Linn Krystal

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

evil_C wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:39 pm
Can anyone remind me please what is the recommended tracking force (actually mass, in grams) for the Krystal cartridge?

After a system reshuffle, suddenly all my records sound lifeless and I guess I ought to check that I haven’t upset the tracking force whilst removing and reinstalling the Aro. I find it hard to believe, but I guess I ought to check.

Thanks, CB

Clive.
Range 1.5-2.0gm
Target weight 1.75gm 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks, Jim. I’ll try and get it on the Shure balance this evening. I think I’ll aim for 1.8g, which I suspect is higher than I had before. Maybe that might restore the sound.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Checked the tracking force (mass) and found it still to be about 1.75g - it's difficult to be very accurate with a Shure stylus balance. So I guess that was ok. However, I did notice that when I had put the Aro back on I hadn't fully located the plug, which was proud by about 2mm. Having lifted it out and pushed in a bit further, leaving a gap of <1mm it seems to sound a bit better, although I'm still not convinced.

I could persuade myself that it's because I changed the stacking order, but surely that would affect all sources equally.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 pm

evil_C wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm
However, I did notice that when I had put the Aro back on I hadn't fully located the plug, which was proud by about 2mm. Having lifted it out and pushed in a bit further, leaving a gap of <1mm it seems to sound a bit better, although I'm still not convinced.

Hi Clive I get all the Naim decoupling thing but I can't get that pins and sockets with a designed size and fit should have to be slightly uncoupled to work properly that flies in the face of super clean " wiping " spotless then less contact area.
Plug and socket connections should always be interference and flush fit if I wanted them decoupled they should be mounted in a flexible sleeve.
Loose connections = High Resistance and lossy Connection. :smt018
I don't have any experience with an Aro but I stopped trusting old mechanical balance scales years ago.
Even a fingerprint contamination between the balance points causes drag.
Maybe I take things too far. :smt101 :smt100
"Cymbiosis"

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I fully agree about contact surface area and reduced resistance, but I really don't think I can force it in any further as it would compress the springs on the suspension.

Really I should get one of those Rega scales, or maybe I should try to set stylus force by ear, although I'm sure that's a tedious task on an Aro.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 pm

evil_C wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 pm
I fully agree about contact surface area and reduced resistance, but I really don't think I can force it in any further as it would compress the springs on the suspension.

A little trick to protect the suspension get an Allen key slide down between arm board and plinth turn round and support with one hand pulling with the other pressing the plug in properly.
I used to do that if I'd changed the wand on my old Mission 774 and Heybrook TT2 it's arm wire plugged in too.
As for scales ive got a digital one " Cheapo " but tested against a Clearaudio and the numbers were the same but not so posh. :smt005
"Cymbiosis"

LD100

Post by LD100 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 pm

These digital scales seem to hold their accuracy fairly well.

I bought one back in the 80s and bought a Clearaudio recently to double check and what do you know?
Both had the exact same reading...the Clearaudio went another decimal place though. :o :smt023

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Clive - I use 1.75 g - are you happy with the bias weight location? Are the wires that run to the plug "free"?
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 pm
Clive - I use 1.75 g - are you happy with the bias weight location? Are the wires that run to the plug "free"?

Mine too is tracking at about 1.75g according to my Shure balance. I have the wires dressed to the side to ensure no fouling with the bearing. I guess you don’t use the azimuth weight, given that you use the Skale, but mine is within 1mm of the stop. The bias thread is three grooves from the open end.

I will have to try some stop like Jim mentions to hold the arm board in order to push the plug home. Although I will have to find a plastic solution as I don’t want to risk any marking of the keel.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer