Urika upgrade.

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

The Flatearther

Urika upgrade.

Post by The Flatearther » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Swapping out my Naim Prefix for a Urika has been on my mind now for some time. I love the Naim sound and I was anxious that the Urika might be too different. So I’ve been humming and ahring for quite some time.

I’ve been spending quite a bit of time time with Shellspeed and Roger TP recently and between them they persuaded me to make the change. The opportunity arose this week and off I went up to Cymbiosis. I had been planning to have the deck serviced for some time as I felt it had gone off colour so to speak I had suspected that my 30yr old bearing had had it as Peter noticed a shiny spot back in 2012. However, when I was packing the deck away I had a quick look at the spindle. All was confirmed the point was so badly pitted from wear I don’t honestly know how the deck still sounded enjoyable.

Next morning we set off traffic was awful but I arrived at Peter’s at about eleven’ish. After warm greetings all round Peter got to work and soon confirmed my diagnosis. So now, it was not just a Urika but a completely strip down and a new bearing and inner and outer platter as the lastest ones are machined differently. And they look so beautiful and “shiny, shiny”. LOL (see the pic)

Three hours later and PS No.57 was ready. Once again I was so impressed, not just with Peter’s LP12 skills but his continually striving for that nth degree of perfection. I thought the deck was done two hours in. Everything was together, finely tuned and A record had been played, but no, Peter spent another complete hour doing the minutest of tweaks until he was content that No.57 was not just spot on, it was beyond the boundaries expected of a Klimax LP12.

At last, we sat down together in the dem room and Peter played Time Out by the Dave Brubeck quartet. Now I know this album very well, but No.57 through a Naim 552-500 into Kudos Titans was beyond breathtaking. I was just knocked out by the holographic tunefulness, the majesty and power she was kicking out. I could clearly hear how the new bearing was allowing the deck and new Urika to sing so, so musically and with such unbelievable power. It was breathtaking. Peter remarked understatedly, hmm, now that’s a good un, a really good un. He was not wrong, it sounded simply phenomenal!

I continued to play more albums totally enthralled until it was time to leave and go and grab wifey away from shopping.

Back home, No.57 sounded even more musical through the Briks. Just so, so majestically dynamic and musical. I could not stop playing records till about 3am, when I could no longer keep my eyes open.

So, except for a few hours sleep I’ve been listening to records for 24 hours now and it continues to enthrall. I now have a whole new record collection.

So, now all is ready for the big reveal in a few weeks. Kabin socialites stand by for your personal invitations to a special preview.

So now all that remains, is for me to once again praise the skills of the Leicester Guru and the Cymbiosis team. Thank so much for such wonderful music. It was an epic day out.

Warmest regards
Flat

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: Urika upgrade.

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Very pretty :smt023

Youv'e got a whole new deck there, together with the record collection to go with it :smt023 Enjoy
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 am

Kandid & Urika :smt007
Bet the Kandid is glad of the breathing space now.
Sweeter tunes all round. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Urika AND new bearing and outer platter, and the Kandid wasn't that long ago. Yikes, that really ought to sound good. Enjoy!

greentrumpet

Post by greentrumpet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 pm

Your deck looks stunning and I'm absolutely sure it sounds wonderful too. I found the move from prefix/geddon to Urika/Radikal at Peter's a world changer. Listening to your own deck through the system Peter used is great, but I agree, there's something about briks when you get home!

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi Flat
Many thanks for your recent write up your deck looks stunning !!
I am thinking about urika next but was always unsure about trampolin
on mana
I would appreciate your views on How you find yours on your mana or have you adapted it ?
Many thanks
Tony
Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Good opportunity to lose the Mana and get some Fraim and/or a Tiger-Paw VulKan wall shelf :smt023 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:05 pm

I've got a brand new tiger paw Vulkan shelf board with four retainers and cups and balls not being used :wink: :roll:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi Tony,
The Trampolin works really well on my Mana. When I brought it home from Peter’s last autumn it was a good upgrade with a noticeable improvement in SQ. So I would definitely reccomend it.

Recently I changed out the glass shelf for a Vulcan thick shelf which also works really well on a Mana.
Cheers
Flat

Derosa

Post by Derosa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Flat
Thanks for your reply
That is really helpful
How dou feel the Vulcan shelf benefis the set up ?? It might be worth trying that out now :smt017
Kind regards
Tony
Walnut LP12 Keell Ekos SE/1 Krystal Urika Radikal
TP Tranquility and Skale
Avondale grad 1 Tpx2 M2 monos biamping neat Momentum 3i all supported by mana :smt020

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer