Akurate v Klimax Radikal " theories "

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Akurate v Klimax Radikal " theories "

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:10 pm

I suppose it's about time I put my head above the parapet and indulged in the great Akurate V Klimax Radikal debate.
Here goes. :roll:
Obviously the Radikal is a no brainer essential for that certain level of audio excellence that is demanded but what of the great debate how does the same electronics in different cases make a difference? :smt017
Well then here are some thoughts as the Radikal initially was in a Majik case for a short time then the hierarchy steps in that this is not a Majik product but at least an Akurate one so the system levels become clearer anyone that has had good look inside an Akurate Radikal usually make great merriment at the amount of space we are paying for but as this has to fit in to a system level then the cosmetics have to match. :smt036
The Akurate case is a variation of the folded metal sheet design " this is all well and good " but looking at the layout the main board is orientated in the usual flat manner but strangely the Dynamik PS although having plenty of space as been orientated so it's on its side with a thin case sheet beside it. :smt018
This compromise seems strange to me and also the isolation of the boards could be far better shielded and housed in what will become an acoustic chamber.
So in comes the science of the microphone effect anything in a vibrating chamber is obviously subject to resonance and thus just like anything else this vibration can be transferred " hence cable dressing and equipment isolation ".
In comes the Klimax case at first I imagine was for cosmetics and matching in that level of equipment all benefitting from the rigidity and extra shielding of the boards inside.
But with the advent of the Dynamik PS being available it has been noticed that this benefits both mechanically and sonically in the enhanced Klimax case.
Kind of makes sense really. :smt045
I've examined in detail both of these products and have to say that the Klimax version is way ahead in terms of design and certainly build quality it is in a different league.
Listening is believing and if it sounds better then it is better. :smt020
But some of these ideas make a bit more sense of why it should be so.

Or maybe because both boards are in the same orientation in Klimax case all the music travels round on the flat without going off road.
Whatever anyone believes just listen first.
Now for the listening tests. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Re: Akurate v Klimax Radikal " theories "

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Can't add anything to the theory part of your post Jim ............. :smt017

But when I did the comparison side by side the Klimax Radikal won out quite easily really. It's not light and day IMHO and it does come with a price hike, but then so does most 'improvements' at the upper end of the LP12 spectrum. You pays your money etc. , etc.

At the time I had the funds handily available so I paid up and I have not regretted it all since ............. :smt020

Enjoy your listening sessions ............. :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Are magnetic/electrical eddies better handled by a CND's case rather than a folded and bolted one?

I know extra mass helps, as well as extra shielding (although extra shielding of the PS makes little difference in my experiments)

Just a think.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:16 am

Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Are magnetic/electrical eddies better handled by a CND's case rather than a folded and bolted one?

I know extra mass helps, as well as extra shielding (although extra shielding of the PS makes little difference in my experiments)

Just a think.

I’m sure you meant ‘CNC’, James, but I do like the idea of a nuclear proof CND case!

Craig Lang
Banned

Post by Craig Lang » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 am

And the result is ? :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:43 am

evil_C wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:16 am
Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Just a think.

I’m sure you meant ‘CNC’, James, but I do like the idea of a nuclear proof CND case!

Brain/finger interface error :oops:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I don't really care why, the Klimax Radikal is just simply and significantly better 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Observations on improvements over time. :smt023
There is an obvious improvement much more bite and snap to percussion especially.
It's really loads of fine detail I suppose that's why some don't think it's a big difference but perhaps in a simpler system it really does show up.
Or some systems are less than ideally matched unless really pushed.
Other than top end detail the most obvious thing we noticed is that the Akurate had a slightly more muddled or bloom in the upper Bass this has gone with the Klimax and everything just has more musicality and presence.
Brushwork and different cymbal detail is very much easier to hear as are things like different embouchure being applied on reeds.
I've always found acoustic jazz to be the most revealing for detail and fast transients so now more detail is brought out and not sucked into the mix.
Definitely a big improvement but might be music style dependant.
As for build quality and extreme attention to detail it's miles better.
You don't notice these things until you try.
My deck button lights dim much faster than they did before.🤔
The bottom line is it just sounds more " right " 8) :smt023
The icing is on the cake. :p 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm
There is an obvious improvement much more bite and snap to percussion especially.
It's really loads of fine detail I suppose that's why some don't think it's a big difference but perhaps in a simpler system it really does show up.
Other than top end detail the most obvious thing we noticed is that the Akurate had a slightly more muddled or bloom in the upper Bass this has gone with the Klimax and everything just has more musicality and presence.
Brushwork and different cymbal detail is very much easier to hear as are things like different embouchure being applied on reeds.
I've always found acoustic jazz to be the most revealing for detail and fast transients so now more detail is brought out and not sucked into the mix.

Just catching up with forum posts and see that you have taken the Klimax Radikal plunge Jim.

Congrats and I'm pleased for you in that you are happy with the change from the Akurate version ........ :smt020

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Just catching up with forum posts and see that you have taken the Klimax Radikal plunge Jim.

Congrats and I'm pleased for you in that you are happy with the change from the Akurate version ........ :smt020

Thanks mate, :smt052
Very nice of you to say. :smt023
Now another bake off which sounds best Silver or Black ?. :smt017
Obvious really. :smt005 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer